Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SN2001 Overheats with T stat but runs cool without
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SN2001 Overheats with T stat but runs cool without

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
UndercoverPoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 1:39pm
1. Does it make sense to remove the manifolds for cleaning?
2. Can I blow out a portion of the engine with the manifolds removed or do I need to go deep to find a potential clog?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 2:59pm
Put the good new impeller in or even the good old one back in and I suspect you'll be fine. The cheap impellers don't pump sufficient.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 3:54pm
Hollywood - I hope you are right. I'll report back tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 10:17am
So here is Today/Yesterday Update:
1. Installed brand new Sherwood Impeller.
2. Tested Function - ie filed 5 gallon bucket in 15 seconds at 3,000RPM with raw water pump outlet hose.
3. Boiled Both THermostats - old and new. Old opens around 140, new opens around 160.
4. Installed New S-stat.
5. Boat Overheats - up over 200 maybe 220 before i got it off the trailer.
6. Removed T-stat. Boat cools down from 210 is to 160 in 20 seconds.
7. Ran boat on trailer at higher RRM w/ no stat - was able to get it down to the high 130's
8. I don't have a temp gun yet - but I felt around for the hot section. Manifolds were general cool. BTW, I did remove one riser to check for blockages, and there were none but I will do the other tonight just to check that off the list.. THe section that I felt that was HOT HOT HOT was after the t-stat housing - the large metal housing/outlet tube going down - with markings 'R020500" was HOT!.

I'm feeling like its a blocked passage somehwere along those lines where its the large dia tube heading to the elbow and then back up to what I believe it the circulation pump.

Not really sure if thats what its called. I'm looking for ford PCM floew diagram so I know what to call these parts, but I think thats where my problem lies..........???????
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by UndercoverPoe UndercoverPoe wrote:

So here is Today/Yesterday Update:
8. I don't have a temp gun yet - but I felt around for the hot section.   THe section that I felt that was HOT HOT HOT was after the t-stat housing - the large metal housing/outlet tube going down - with markings 'R020500" was HOT!.

Go buy a IR temp gun then define HOT HOT HOT
Mine runs mid 140's and you can not hold onto that outlet tube either
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by UndercoverPoe UndercoverPoe wrote:

2. Tested Function - ie filed 5 gallon bucket in 15 seconds at 3,000RPM with raw water pump outlet hose.

This doesn't sound good. I feel like you should be able to fill/drain 5 gallons at IDLE over 15 seconds. Where are the pros? I cannot remember the benchmark performance rate.

You are wasting your time doing the no thermostat runs. Go buy an IR temp gun already.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 12:06pm
I think 13 gpm at 1500 rpm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 12:47pm
My Sherwood manual has a graph for various different impellers and their flow rates at various RPM.

The 9959 impeller which fits the pump being talked about has the following

1000 RPM    about 5 gpm

1500 RPM     about 10 gpm

3000 RPM     about 20 gpm

Maybe this will become this afternoon's experiment
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 12:56pm
That big line is the suction to the circulating pump from the thermostat housing and is the temperature of the water going into the block. It's gonna be pretty hot after the boat is all warmed up and at operating temperature

From there it goes through the block and comes out the front of the intake manifold to the thermostat housing again at a higher temperature

Then mixing takes place in the housing with the thermostat controlling the mixing of hot and cold water to control engine temperature.

It's kinda like "magic" happens in the thermostat housing
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 1:06pm
Thanks for posting the rates. His pump sounds perfectly fine.

Take apart the magic box. Your hot water cannot get out or your cold water cannot get in.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

My Sherwood manual has a graph for various different impellers and their flow rates at various RPM.

Absolutely! We're overdue for one of your hands on true to the world testing's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 1:41pm
Have you confirmed the gauge is working ? My brothers 89 temp gauge showed like 190 when actual water temp was 140 ish. Replaced gauge and the reading was proper. IR gun will tell you if the gauge is just lying. The manifolds on a properly cooling ford stay pretty cool. The large cooling tube will be too hot to keep your hands on at a normal 140-160 operating temp.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete

You missed yesterday's episode.

It was the spark plug wire swapping experiment in LisaO's thread.

But anyways, I did the bucket test and 5 gallons in 15 seconds at 3000 rpm is a good number.

This was sucking from a bucket so all the engine cooling was still supplied.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete

You missed yesterday's episode.

It was the spark plug wire swapping experiment in LisaO's thread.

But anyways, I did the bucket test and 5 gallons in 15 seconds at 3000 rpm is a good number.

This was sucking from a bucket so all the engine cooling was still supplied.

No, I saw the swap the wire experiment. I'm just seeing if I can push you to two experiments a day! BTW, keep them coming. Nothing including specs, charts and graphs beats the hands on!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 6:31pm
ok. IR Gun in hand. Verifying temp tonight. I think my problem is the circulation pump. How hard is that thing to pull off? Before I pull it off, I was told to remove the drain plugs and verify flow increases as do the RPMs. No measure was given to test flow for this procedure. Once again, how hard to pull a circ pump? What should I be looking for?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 11:44pm
Pretty easy to remove the circulating pump.

You take the belts off for the alternator and Raw water pump, then remove the alternator and it's mounting bracket. Unhook the water hose

9 bolts of various different lengths (so keep track of where they go) and it's off. 2 of those 9 came out when you took the alternator bracket off, so 7 more to go.

But, why not spin it when the belts are off and see how it feels first. If it spins smoothly, makes no noise and there's no looseness in the bearings, it's probably OK unless the metal impeller is just totally eroded away, but they're pretty durable

You also need a gasket for bolting it back onto the timing cover.

The FelPro part number is 35211. for one to fit your pump

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 1:16am
I had a pump start making noise,the PO had maybe changed it when they put the new engine in. Dad then ran it almost 20 years in fresh water. When I got it apart almost all the fins on the impeller were gone,they had used an automotive pump and was in saltwater for several months. It never overheated though. If you can't find anything else and the temp gauge checks out it just might be worth pulling.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 10:40am
Joe had one on a 351 that the shaft was spinning inside the impeller. I don't recall if it was a auto pump or a true marine pump.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 11:14am
OK CCF Community - I come to you with GREAT SUCCESS Last night. Following Vince of SKIDIM's advise once again, I pulled the 9/16" drain plug on the block while running and hooked to garden hose. I did this to prove out the circ pump. Upping the RPM's did infact increase the spurting of water all over my carpet. So No need to pull the circ pump. I also got an IR gun from someone at work. Turns out he had it in his backpack that he carries everyday of all places!! I brought the boat down tot he lake, shot the engine and guess what!!!??? I caught my temp gauge in a lie!!! The gauge was reading well over 200 and I was shooting the engine top and sides and I was getting around 120 degrees. Then all of a sudden, the gauge settles in the a calm 160. Oh - All this with the original 143 degree t-stat installed. Took the boat out for a quick spin......160. Ran the engine for extended period of time at the dock, still 160. Ok, I see how it is....I caught you (my SN2001) in a lie and now you are going to tell the truth? But in all seriousness - WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO SHOOT THE ENGINE TO VERIFY TEMP? I can't see how i can do it accurately because the sensor is hitting water inside the engine. I do also understand something explained above about the outlet side of circ pump on it was back up to t stat housing (larger diameter thing) - that shot at 125 as opposed to headers that were closer to 100. However I did shoot the bottom of the manifolds, the four exhaust ports leaving the engine and I got temps, 220-240......uh, oh. lets put it back on the trailer and shut her down until we understand the correct temp to shoot the engine and what temps should be where. All this help has been much appreciated.....

Keep in mind that when put back on the trailer gauge was reading 160 after about 60 minutes of engine run time. So something was/is lying. The sender or the gauge. Wonder which one is more likely to lie??. Wonder if I can install a stand alone gauge to verify the original in dash VDO?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 12:05pm
So basically what was cleared up by the 6th post took up 2 pages. Temps at the exhaust will read high at the heads since there is no water jacket there to cool them. Take your temp readings by the sender unit in the intake manifold, just because it's not in the water won't change the reading that much. Don't take the readings to literally but understand what is "normal" for your engine. Then if/when you see something a miss you can check into it. You did fine until you didn't verify your actual temp with a a IR gun and drove too far down that wrong road
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 12:14pm
I believe you can use a VOM to test the sender. Obviously you need to catch it in a lie first.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 12:44pm
Like Gary said, shoot it right next to the sending unit for consistency.

That spot is the hottest water coming out of the engine right before going to the thermostat housing.

Just because a thermostat says 143 doesn't mean the boat will run at that temperature.

Plenty of people with 143's that run around 160. And 160's that run in the 170's to 180.

The number like 143 is where it begins opening in the perfect world.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 12:45pm
You should be able to test the gauge by removing the wire from the sender, and grounding that wire to the engine block. If it pegs the gauge consistently, the gauge should be good. Double check for loose/corroded connections at both the Edit: sender and the gauge.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 1:07pm
Run a jumper ground from your temp gauge to the negative battery terminal. Just put alligator clips on each end...See how the gauge reads.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Double check for loose/corroded connections at both the Edit: sender and the gauge.

+1 on this. I had a wire connection at sender come loose too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 4:07pm
A bad gauge will still peg with full ground especially one that's already running high.

Test or replace the sensor. Also, you need to verify that your gauges are receiving proper 12+ volts and have a good ground. Bad grounds and low voltage will make gauges read high regardless of sensor signal.

If all of those factors test good your gauge is the culprit. Easy way to test the Gauge independent of the boat electrics is with power and ground jumper wires direct to the battery. This will give a 100% good ground and at least 12v power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Test or replace the sensor. Also, you need to verify that your gauges are receiving proper 12+ volts and have a good ground. Bad grounds and low voltage will make gauges read high regardless of sensor signal.

If all of those factors test good your gauge is the culprit. Easy way to test the Gauge independent of the boat electrics is with power and ground jumper wires direct to the battery. This will give a 100% good ground and at least 12v power.

Yes and make sure there isn't any thread sealant or tape on the sender threads to the block. The block is the ground source for the gauge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic