NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop came loose - why?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop came loose - why?
    Posted: July-17-2006 at 10:20am
FWIW and to expand on what I believe Morfoot is saying. There are three types of nuts: Castle, nylock, jamb. Shafts are supposedly set up for one of the nut types and the treaded end is a bit different. But, I really cannot tell the difference and the nylock or jamb nut should work on any type of shaft. However, all shaft styles will have a hole in the end for a cotter pin. Regardless of the nut style (I like the Nylock) you SHOULD install the cotter pin to ensure the prop is not lost should the nut back off for whatever reason.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 8:11am
Be sure that the nut is saftied with a STAINLESS STEEL cotter pin. If it were just plain steel it may have just rusted away allowing the nut to back off.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 7:12am
I'd say someone needed a nut at the marina you found the boat at, and it got 'gleeped' for another job.

Just be glad your hobby isn't airplanes.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 1:31pm
     You can get a nylon locking nut instead of the factory castle nut making life easier where prop change doesnt require lining up and installing a cotter pin which can be a pain. However, you can only take a nylon locking nut on and off a predetermined number of times as the nylon wears out.

Jeff...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 7:27am
Man, I feel like an idiot. You'd think I didn't know anything about boats. At least I didn't lose the prop!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2006 at 9:56am
you should have a nut
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2006 at 9:34am
Yesterday, after putting my four plugs back in (see this post), I had yet another problem that ended my day - the prop came loose. At first I thought I'd dropped my transmission, but I inspected it and discovered the prop was spinning freely on the shaft. The key was gone, and now I'm not sure it was ever there. I bought the boat last year, and it had been abandoned for seven+ years before I got it. Now I'm not sure how the prop assembly is supposed to look. Mine is just the prop, a key, the shaft, and a cotter pin. The shaft is threaded, but there's no nut on it. This doesn't seem right at all. Can anyone post a picture of their prop assembly or tell me how it's supposed to look?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic