NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 Correct Craft Atom Skier
    Posted: November-16-2017 at 5:45pm
Just purchased and would like to restore. Any YouTube videos or instructions to help me through the process?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 5:50pm
Decent looking Atom Skier Deluxe. Jr Woody on this site has restored a similar boat. There's a thread on it somewhere.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 5:50pm
Don,
To my knowledge, there aren't any you tube videos specific to the boat. Jamestown Distributors does have some tutorials on their products and projects they do. Have you ever worked on a wood ply boat before? What are your wood and finishing skills? Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 5:51pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 6:40pm
Don,
Does the engine run? Have you had it in the water to see if the hull is taking on any water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 7:50pm
Thanks for responding. I have never worked on a wood boat before. My woodworking skills are moderate. I know it all needs to be sanded etc. and I was wondering what type of stain and /or polyurethane to use. I do have a neighbor who is a good mechanic.

The boat has been in a barn for years and seems to be in good condition.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 7:54pm
Thanks for your response. The engine turns over. I have not had it in the water. The engine and transmission oil both appear to be clean. It has been in storage for a long time and needs some TLC.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 8:47pm
Don,
The bright work may not need to go down to bare wood requiring stain. See if you can get some close up pictures posted and I may be able to tell if a total strip is needed. Are there any bare spots in the varnish? Regarding the finish, NO poly! Stick with a spar type varnish and look at the more expensive ones with UV protection. Jamestown is a good source. If you start taking hardware off, understand that the screws are R&P/Frearson and NOT Phillips. If you use a Phillips bit or screwdriver, you will bugger up the heads. First, get it running and in the water to see if it takes on any water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 9:03pm
Just saw this interesting post. Looks like you have a boat there that has a lot of originality. If the plywood and the stem are all workable then a good many coats of varnish should help a lot. Along with sanding, etc. Bruce is right, I have a 1960 Atom Skier with AMC 327 like yours. Mine has fins. It currently is wintering over in CT and I have put a downdraft carb on it much to the dismay of some of our respected members. Have a couple other CC's in the works so I may part ways with the Atom next year. Woodworking on these iconic boats is more my passion and the 1950 Delux Utility we have that is substantially complete needs attention. Best wishes on your fun new project. Don't take it too far and get it out on the water. The old v8's are a gas.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 10:38pm
Thanks for your reply. Everything appears to be in good shape.. I noticed you said varnish. I was planning on using polyurethane. Do I need to do some research on that?

I am not even sure if I am using this form properly. I hope my posts are correct.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2017 at 10:45pm
Thanks. I will take some close-ups. I will be careful of the screw heads also. Thanks for the advice on not using polyurethane. So much to learn. I know the hull is plywood, what about the decks?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 6:18am
Don,
The deck is ply too. The fake seams are just routed and painted white.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 8:07am
Thanks. Later I will have more questions on how to paint the stripes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 8:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
First, get it running and in the water to see if it takes on any water.

What do the hull seams look like at the chines, keel and stem? Any screws popping? Get some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 8:38am
Is there a way to get the motor running before I put it in the water? (e.g. water hose) I will post some photos later today of the propeller, shaft, etc that are not attached.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 8:40am
Will check.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 8:40am
Don,
Pull the hose from the thru hull pick up and attach a garden hose to it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 7:08pm

Some photos of the finish and under the floor. One photo of parts I found on the floor of the boat. Not sure what they are.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 7:16pm
Don,
Do you have any information about what the PO was doing with the boat?

Looking at the deck pictures, it will need to be stripped down to wood and hopefully a bleaching will remove the staining. You'll need to try otherwise it's new wood. You had asked about stain which will be needed going to bare wood. The Mahogany is stained with a filler stain which not only colors the wood but also fills the open grain of the Mahogany. The filler is essential to get a smooth finish.

Have you looked for screw popping?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 7:18pm
That looks like a great boat to restore. I've never seen a transmission like that. One of those parts is the shaft log. Was the PO going to replace the bottom?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 7:32pm
Looks like potential here for sure. Need to see some pictures of the hull. Perhaps the prop took a hit never know. There are extra shafts so that tells maybe something. I think after the grunge is removed there is promis. Elbow grease! This looks like a flywheel forward?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've never seen a transmission like that.   

Bruce,
It's a Paragon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

This looks like a flywheel forward?

Jack,
Yes, it is and that makes it the AMC 250 cu.in. Graymarine that developed 135/138 H.P.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 10:41pm
I have not seen Brian around in a while(Fins). When I bought the skier from him he had a 1959 skier with fins that had an unusual engine setup in it. Can't remember what it was. Should he have it restored I think I was quite unique. Seems it steered by turning the prop?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 7:31am
Don,
I was looking at the pictures again you posted of the deck and would like to comment on the one of the fore deck were it looks like sanding was done with a belt sander to remove the finish. Extreme care must be taken if there is any chance of saving the wood. You need to keep in mind that the deck is plywood with a very thin face veneer so you have very little wood to work with. This is not like sanding solid wood! I suggest a chemical strip first then a wood bleach some light sanding and another bleach. If too much wood is removed you will get so close to the glue line that you may start seeing the glue, there won't be enough wood to "take" a filler/stain, the wood bleach won't work and you will be getting real close to or even exposing screw heads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 12:57pm
Thank you for your observations. It appears to me that the previous owner was going to restore the boat. That spot you noticed is the worst. Also, It looks like he painted the bottom of the boat. I am not sure about messing with that., although I would prefer the natural wood.

I took the engine cover out of the boat and sanded off the stain. I plan to fill a couple of screw holes and then stain and varnish. Any suggestions about what brand of stain? Also, is there a preferred way to get the white stripe paint out of the grooves?

The previous owner had taken out some of the braces near the stern and left them piled in the boat. I am trying to piece them together in their proper places. Kind of like a puzzle. I am also trying to figure out the brass parts in one of the photos. I believe they are all part of the drive shaft.   I will do a mock up and photograph and post it later.

I am not familiar with the wood bleach process you mentioned and will do some research.
Thanks for your help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 8:16pm
Don,
The hull bottoms were never "natural" wood and were painted but not with what appears to be ablative bottom paint the PO used. CC's of that era came with enamels typically what would be called "topside" paints. Most likely your 63 would have had a red bottom.

Regarding the stain, as I mentioned previously, what you what is a filler stain to both color the wood and fill the open grain of the Mahogany.
I have always used Interlux.

To remove the white paint in the seams, I suggest using a chemical paint stripper. You should be using the paint stripper first anyway. Remember, as I mentioned you have very little wood to sand due to the thinness of the plywood face veneer. Avoid sanding to remove the varnish/finish.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 7:06am
Don,
You mentioned you need to fill some screw holes. On CC's ply hulls, they used a wood filler and NOT real wood bungs that are typically used on solid wood hulls. I use Famowood solvent based filler and there's a "trick" to using it. If you just smear it into the screw hole, you will get filler into the surrounding area. After sanding the filler flush, the filler will still be it the open pores in that surrounding area and that filler will never take the filler/stain the same as the other wood so, you will see a "blotch" of a different color at the filled screw hole. I use a mask made from a thin piece of sheet metal (shim stock) that has a hole in it the same size of the screw hole. You place the mask over the screw hole and then apply the Famowood into the hole. The mask prevents the Famowood from spreading into the surrounding wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 10:00am
Thank you for the information.   I followed your post and will probably order that stain. I haven't enough nerve to start stripping the boat yet, I have just been working on the engine cover. I noticed yesterday that the fuel tank has been disconnected. I will have questions about that later.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 11:24am
Thanks for the info and the neat "trick" using a metal mask.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic