NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Change - Slow to Drain?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Change - Slow to Drain?
    Posted: July-20-2006 at 10:55am
I've recently changed the oil in my 80 Nautique. I noticed that it was very very slow to drain. The oil was in good shape, not black or anything. Is this typical? Any suggestions...Do it after a day running when the oil is warm?

Thanks
Scott
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 11:03am
do it when it is warm or get a suction machine.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 2:57pm
Try leaving the dipstick out.
Tim D
The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 3:10pm
tried that :)...still pretty slow. Must have taken 20 mintues to drain.

Thought their may be a block in the line so we hooked up an air compressor to the drain tube to clear...but no luck. We thought about a suction machine...maybe next time.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 10:22pm
I have seen the oil drain plug hose assembly apart and the actual hole in the pan plug is pretty small. Be patient. bj
hasbeenskier
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 10:53pm
i hate changing oil in these boats.

i dont have a drain tube which means i either let the bilge take the oil or use a suction device.

i usually use the suction device but the problem with that is i can never capture all the oil. generally i can only draw about 3 of the 4 1/2 quarts it runs. so when changing oil i buy six quarts and after the first change i run the boat a bit and do the whole procedure again.

i was going to buy a drain line from skidm a couple of years ago but for whatever reason skidm was uncertain that it would be adaptable to my 77 302.   if anyone reading this post has installed one a 302 please let me know.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 12:04am
Yep...run it and get the stuff warm! Remove the valve cover cap....if you have a drain hose , they are slower...let it drain for a while ....have a beer , a snack and a nap and come back to it!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 8:58am
77stang, nothing special. Just take the drain plug with you and match a fitting to the thread. Mine has an elbow style in the oil pan, and multiple ribs, once you slide the hose on, you can't pull it off.

(that's a six quart oil pan)
Tim D
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 9:36am
quess ill give it a try, my four quart pan (1/2 quart for the filter - 4 and 1/2 is all mine holds) has very little clearance
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 10:19am
I can't fit one one my 302...not enough clearance...pain in the rear!
What I done in the past is take a heavy duty trash bag and configure it where the oil drains into it and carefully remove it without snagging it...it's still a pain.
I am going to try a new approach this weekend...take some heavy alluminum foil and form a drainage passage to the drain hole in the bilge and let in drain to a 5 gal bucket.
stang

The Super Air

77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 10:23am
thanks 72, creative minds are such a pleasure!

what type of wrench do you use to get at the plug, this has always been a problem also.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 11:16am
I believe it is a 7/8's...I bought a set that is a shorter ratchet type and is angled...works well.
stang

The Super Air

Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 5:38pm
Buy a SuckUp from skidim. Will suck it dry thru the dipstick tube in about 10 minutes. Works great. No mess and no wait.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2006 at 3:53pm
well the foil did work with mininal mess...took about five minutes to form a place!

SuckUp...I like the idea of draining down not up... that way the worst stuff does not stay at the bottom...my 2 cents worth!
stang

The Super Air

john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2006 at 10:27pm
I put the drain hose in a jug or bucket and sit it beside the engine , put air pressure in the PVC hole , blow gun with a rag around it , cover oil fill hole with other hand or foot , takes 1-2 minutes to fill jug , take it easy with the air pressure not sure if you blow a seal or not
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2006 at 11:20pm
i just pull the plug on the end of the hose and wait til the following day. cause it is slow. but that elbow where the hose starts is very restricted. like 2 1/8" holes.
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 3:36pm
it's hard to let drain when your boat hangs in a boathouse , air pressure works great , did mine this weekend , with the oil hot it took under 30 sec to empty with 20 psi , unscrew filter , screw on new filter , pour oil in , done in under 5 min
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 3:50pm
and then I take a coffee filter , put it in a funnel and pour the waste oil in my diesel picktrucks fuel tank , it's like getting free fuel , don't put much more than 5 gallons of waste oil per tank ,it will start to smoke a little but makes the truck run great
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic