NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

De-winterizing startup trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 2:13am
Deep cycle batteries are for trolling motors, water pumps and stereos, not cranking v8s.

Dirty neutral is prop spinning while the shifter is in neutral. I hope the prop isn't spinning but it would be good to check. If it is hose it down, that might be your noise.
shouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 1:42am
Yea, I have a OPtima blue top, deep cycle.

The noise i'm referring to occurs at about secs 6-8. I agree, doesn't sound as much like a grinding noise in the video, but it's definitely a noise i'm not used to hearing. Took longer to catch to w/o the charger, so that's not helping for video purposes.

Oh, forgot to mention, i sure hope the prop isn't spinning. Has to be in neutral to start. Should be in neutral.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 1:27am
Watched the video, not detecting any weird grinding. Also completely lost as to why your father is worried about 225 amp start mode on your battery.

There are marine cranking batteries (car batteries with threaded studs) and there are marine deep cycle batteries. I suspect you might have a deep cycle based on your issues, which is bad. This could have damaged your relay and possibly starter.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 1:19am
If you think a pulley is going to slow down a v8 you are wrong but take both belts off and see for yourself. Hook up the hose water T like normal. Water will flow through a non spinning pump but I wouldn't run it more than a 30 seconds.

I haven't listened to the sound clip yet but is your prop spinning? A little dirty neutral and dry cutlass is not a happy noise.
shouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 1:10am
Grinding noise - with charger hooked up.
youtube_gt40_grinding
shouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:53am
Just hooked up my battery charger. 225a startup. Just talked to my father, apparently 225a startup isn't recommended for marine batteries. Lesson learned

While it didn't take as long to start. The grinding was still there. Sounds fine when running so makes me think it's not any pulley seized. Going to attempt to upload a sound clip.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:16am
Get a volt meter, also maybe a battery charger.

In the mean time try using the battery from your car or truck.
shouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:10am
Starting the season and already have an issue right out of the gate. I'm running it out of the water to change some fluids and having some hard starts. The battery is newer, but can't guarantee the state of the charge. I also don't like how the main leads are attached to the battery, but didn't have an issue w/ that last year so won't bring that into the equation. I'm using garden hose attachment in the T to feed the system.

Issues on startup in order:
1. SLOOOW to crank. Thought the battery didn't have the charge, and then it just caught and took off. Lot of white smoke initially. Good after that.    

2. No smoke. Can only describe as a grinding noise. As i hold the start button, i see all the pulleys slowly turning, but sloow. Probably holding about 4 secs of that noise, it starts. I can't tell if the noise is a starter cranking noise or something locked up in the pulley chain, such as the alternator. .Found the belt lose after initial run on the water pump. (changed the water impeller this morning). Tightened.

3. First attempt all i got was a click. Hit the off button, Re-tried holding start button. Same grinding issue that leads to a start and runs fine after that.

If it's a starter, I don't know where to begin, other than simply swapping out for a new one. If it's something seized on the belt system, i'd be surprised (but not shocked) as everything worked when i put it away for the winter and I didn't experience the issue on the first startup.

Anyone experience anything like this? Thanks

2000 AIr Nautique
GT-40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic