Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faded gelcoat restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:28pm
The picture is real vague but a good rule of thumb I like to use is get it wet and observe. What it looks like wet is a good indicator of what you can expect out of a gelcoat resto.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:19pm
I assume this is a common question...

Considering a sport nautique that has clearly been neglected, and stored outdoors under a tarp for a year or two. Here's a picture of the gelcoat... it looks totally faded/scratched.

I had an old boat that had red gel, that was in similar condition. I spent a TON of time and effort wet sanding and buffing, and never was able to get it looking good. Ultimately, I painted it (wasn't worth trying to do new gelcoat).

Question is, do you think this is salvageable? Does wet sanding typically do the job on these boats? Or is this a lost cause and would need a full gelcoat restoration?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic