Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mark914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Lift
    Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:12pm
Looking for a boat lift for my 1985 2001. I have to use freestanding models where I live, not mounted to pylings.

For those of you that have one is there any recommendations of brand or type of lift to look for? I would guess I would have to get taller bunks for clearance for the rudder etc.

Thanks, Mark
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:16pm
hydra lift or hydra hoist i cant remeber the exact name but the work on two drum like containers and a component that puts water in them to sumerge it up and vacum's the water out to get em up.i dont know the $$
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:23pm
where do you live?

There are a bunch of companies that make lifts that sit on the ground and operate with a cable and winch. Check with local marinas/dealers for "pre owned" but check them over 2 or 3 times.
mark914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:33pm
I'm in Wisconsin. There are dealers around, just looking for some tips before I go shopping.

Nauti_Quad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti_Quad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:26pm
Mark,

Depending on $$ your best bet is a hydraulic lift. You can use the lift in about 4’ of water to about 12’ depending on Accessories. Hydraulic lifts are fast and can be powered by 120v corded power or with a battery and rechargeable solar cell (no cord needed). Shore Station is a good lift with many accessories, as also there are many others, but you get what you pay for.    

If you don’t have the funds, any crank up cable lift will work. I prefer a vertical lift over a cantilevered though. Just a preference. Make sure you if your boat dry weight is 2500# you get at least a 3000# or bigger. Once you put your gear, gas, and well stocked cooler onboard the weight adds up quick. I believe there is a max weight on cantilevered lifts at about 4000#. I don’t think that matters for your boat anyway.

If you can find the right deal, my buddy bought a 4000#, no canopy, 4 years old for $900. I didn’t get that good of a deal on mine. I spent $2,500 for a 24’ canopy, 4000#, around 6-7 years old. In IN a new 4000#, 24’ canopy, Vertical lift is about $5000. So there are deals out there. As long as the cables are good you shouldn’t have a problem with a used lift.           

Good luck looking..
See you at Crystal Cove - Hamilton Lake, IN
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:49pm
hydro hoist - built about twenty minutes away in claremore oklahoma. you'll also find a company in central missouri that makes a float type air lift for about 1/2 the price of a hydro hoist (but i cant think of the name). hydro hoist uses long cylinder shape fiberglass tanks and the missouri company uses one rectangle polyuthane tank. Hydro houst are used all over the world for about any size boat. the missouri company makes recreational size lifts found only regionally
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:54pm
here is the missouri company - see the pivot lift at bottom of page
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:07pm
We've got a Hewitt Cantilever lift & i've used staright lifts & i would have to say that i prefer the cantilever, the amount of work needed to lift my boat is nearly nothing, Hewitt has their lifts geared correctly it seems that it may take you a few more turns to get it up but at least you're not killing yourself trying to muscle it up.
Hewitt Lifts/ Roll-a- Docks

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:40pm
Has anyone every used one of those drive on docks- Jet Dock I think ? I don't know anything about them, but they look cool.
mark914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:10pm
Doesn't look like the hydro hoist type units would work for me.........looks like they need at least five feet of water.

nates78ski.... Did you have to get any special bunks for the lift?
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:11pm
im not sure, havent really given them a 2nd thought. But i dunno if they would work since our boats have the skegs, I'm not sure if they have an opening in the middle for them...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:15pm
vertical lifts are better for inboards the canterlevered models can mess up the drive shaft and prop if you don't pay attaintion to the boats postion before you raise the lift. As far as the weight ratings the only difference between 2000# or 4000# models are the cables and pulleys and if you find a good deal on one that is rated below what need just replace the cables with the rated limit. There are power units that you can add to the shore station so you don't have to crank it up. The Hydro units are not very good for shallow water and work better in deeper waters. Regardless of the manufacturer inspect the cable and puley system and replace if fraded or rusted or it looks questionable.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 5:24pm
mark,

your right about the depth you need to operate a float lift. even if you can find a slip that has 6 or 7 feet of water you would have to be sure that the water levels dont' fluctuate downward.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:46am
I have both a Shorestation vertical lift and a Hewitt cantilever hoist. I have my skiboat on the latter. Both are electric. I would have to say that the Hewitt works MUCH easier to lift the boat. Very nice hoist.

I bought both hoists used. 1900 for the Hewitt and 1000 for the Shorestation, including the canopy.

However, when we complete the home renovation where these boats are now, and it becomes our year-round home, I'm likely going to go with a drive-on dock. I also researched the Hydrohoists, and you need a MINIMUM of 3'feet of water and I don't always have that throughout the season.

EZ-dock and Jetdock make some nice solutions. There are two or three other manufactures as well. I just thinks is a much classier solution. Essentially no maintenance. They accept canopies. Can be left in water during winter, only need a couple of feet of water, etc...

Something to think about.

One of the boating rags reviewed most of the manufactures a few months ago.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 10:09am
Ultra if your on a channel you don't have to remove your lift floating or not, I would question leaving plastic drive on style docks in the water during the winter in open water where the ice shifts all of the time during the winter. That's the main reason to remove pier's and shore stations other wise they get bent and moved several feet from where they where due to the ice pack moving them. I've even seen guys leave pontoons in the water all year in a channel without problems.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 10:33am
I'm not on a channel 79, but a bay. I left the Shorestation in last winter but we lucked out and really had no ice to speak of. It's not really as convenient as I would like to yank the hoists in the winter since I have a large breakwall as opposed to beach. So it's likely I'll bubble this year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 12:50pm
not sure where your at but if the ice is farly lite and doesn't stay around more than a week at a time then it's not really an issue. On Wawassee it get's iced over for long periods at times and the ice is thick enough to drive a truck on and it does shift and tears things up. Most will have a pier shop move and store the shore stations and do the pier's them self. Some shore stations have a wheel kit that can be used to help move them but they are a pain to move and take a bunch of guys to move.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 1:55pm
It's hit or miss. Cold winter, the bay will be iced over quite a bit. And you're right, the Shorestations are pretty heavy and a pain to lift. Mine would have to be lifted 7 to 8 feet vertically to clear my break wall. Easier to just leave 'em both in and get a bubbler.
mark914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 6:35pm
ultrarunner...... do you know the weight rating of your cantilever? I do like the simplicity of the design and the Hewitt's look like a good product.

Thanks..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 8:50pm
Mark, mine is a 3000 lb unit and has the electric winch system. Works great.

For those following, the boat seems to self center OK with how I have the rails adjusted. However, once I finish re-adjusting the centering guide bumbers, the boat will go in as needed every time.

thanks for all your help.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:23pm
Here is a photo of the floating lifts used most commonly here in CA. Because most of our lakes are resevoirs and drop throughout the year, or are tidal (my case) we generally can't use the fixed shorestations. Most common brands are HydroHoist, Polylift, Galvalift, Econolift, and Californialift. BKH

Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:36pm
Brian
Is that your dock? What is that material? Looks very clean and smooth
Scott
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:44pm
My wife and I rented a boat at Lake Berryessa a couple of weeks ago, and the hydro-hoists seemed to be popular at a the marina. And in fact, our rental ski boat was on one. However, there was plenty of depth at that lake.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 10:08pm
Yes Scott, that's my dock. I built it about 4 years ago. The top decking is a vinyl product called Premier. Brock, is another popular brand. No exposed screws or nails, stays cooler than wood, never have to paint it, should last for at least 20 years. Just wash it with a hose, or if the birds get over active, a powerwasher, and it looks great. I added the low voltage light posts, and ran electic and water to the dock as well.

Ultrarunner, are you from NorCal? BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:01pm
Brian; Everything you have (except the scar) Looks awesome. Always first class.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:28pm
beautiful dock and set up...have to agree with jbear.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:41pm
Thanks, but it's only because I don't post pictures of all the junk I own BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Yes Scott, that's my dock. I built it about 4 years ago. The top decking is a vinyl product called Premier. Brock, is another popular brand. No exposed screws or nails, stays cooler than wood, never have to paint it, should last for at least 20 years. Just wash it with a hose, or if the birds get over active, a powerwasher, and it looks great. I added the low voltage light posts, and ran electic and water to the dock as well.

Ultrarunner, are you from NorCal? BKH

Nope, not from N. Ca. We live in the great lakes, but the wife and I did vaca there a couple of weeks ago in the Sonoma/Napa area.

I thought about composite decking, but we decided on IPE. It looks great and will last until we're long-gone. I'll post some pics in the next couple of days.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:56pm
Ultra,

Probably good call. I'm not sure how the plastic would hold up with the extreme temperature variations there. Here, we only have two temps - warm and hot. BKH
Livin' the Dream

mjg100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjg100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:54pm
I have a 4,000lb Hydro-Hoist that I bought in 92 for my 84 2001. Yes you do need almost 5' of water to launch the boat. Our lake level goes up and down depending on how much rain we receive and if the corp of engineers are letting out water. When the lake goes down we just move the dock out to deeper water. If you live on a lake a lift is the way to go. Raise the boat up, wipe everything down and cover it up and you are done. No hull cleaning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic