NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust smell?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust smell?
    Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:32pm
I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with getting an occasional "whiff" of exhaust fumes in the front seat of an older CC?
My 64s windshield is so tall,it lets very little air behind it, creating ,I guess, a vacuum. I installed a set of the original windwings, but didnt seem to make a big difference.

Last week I installed a homemade exhaust flapper(from a rubber plumbing cap) ,hoping it would divert it downward . Still the problem.

I really dont want to install a lower windshield.. it looks "64 ugly" ,and I like it. ....Does anyone make any kind of a "good looking/ era correct"- vent that could be cut into the bottom of this windshield?   I did see one last week on vacation in an older boat, but it had a really bad looking aluminumn frame around it...

Anyone thoughts?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:40pm
Steve,
can you "T" off the hose from the front scoop and bring a hose up under the dash to move some air through the cockpit?? If nothing else, it will cool off your "Nether-regions"

Moj'
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:02pm
i don't remember exactly where i saw them, Maybe Wakeboarding mag. but i saw this set that u attach to your exhaust that diverts the exhaust straight into the water, kinda like a 90degree pipe running straight into the water about 3-4 inches below surface & this is supposed to help with exhaust fumes. Sorry i couldn't be of more help with the product's actual name or anything.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:57pm
Nate,
My exhaust is below the water line when setting still.. of coarse ,once you get on plane,its above. Thats why I tried the flapper to see if it would divert it down..maybe I'll do a search to see if i can find something like your talking about.

The other problem I always run into-is everything for exhaust today starts at 3"..mine is only 2 3/8"..

Moj,
Never thought about trying to "T" from my air intake...interesting idea..btw...the Keys!?! you takin the 'tique?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:01pm
steve when are you getting the smell, at idle zones going slow, sitting not moving, or cruising at slower speeds? What about the fuel level at the time and where is your tank vent at? have you check the vent hose's condition lately? Seems a little odd i wouldn't think that you could be creating that much back draft from the windshield.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:20pm
Hi Chris!
The only times Im getting the smell at cruising speeds... its definatly exhaust smell ..not raw gas.
Check out how tall the w.shield is.. You dont even mess your hair up ..

Im wondering if its kinda like the time I was trailering the boat behind my pickup with the topper.. The bow pennant on the boat was actually flying forward.. wierd wind turbulance? ps..thats why I was asking about the flappers in the other post!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:30pm
Steve don't recall you having the locks Jbear does to mess up

Seems a little werd still could you have a small exhaust leak at the manifold or hose-manifold junction coming back thu the motor box vent? try taping it off and taking it for a ride. It would seem if the rear pendant was going forward a little then the exhaust fumes could as well,

your just going to have to give it a little more gas and go faster.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 4:32pm
"Captain, I've given it all she's got... This 6 beater just won't go any faster" !!! hehehe... Hey, I say let's to a chop job on the windshield to Low rider heights !!! Bye Bye exhaust smell....

Moj.
PS: Really, there's got to be a reason for this.. Does it do it also when running with the blower on? I would not think enough back air turbulance would cause exhaust to float all the way back up by you... Strange for sure..
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:51pm
maybe....can you flip your mirror over on its mount might be enough to break the vaccum.just need a little deflector over the top of the glass add some air flow to cockpit.
there has been a shorter wind screen on ebay several in fact from great lakes skipper they have a store on ebay.

Good luck Munday
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:33pm
Just to be on the safe side, check for an exhaust leak (manifold bolds, hoses, ect)
Now that's a windshield!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:45pm
have the exact boat,only the windsheild is shorter,only 15 in. dont think yours is a stock item. just ordered new one from Talor Made kinda pricey but what the hell,maybe it will last 42 yrs. also. do lots of cruising @2000 to 2500 rpm no smell no fumes,but have opened up exhaust to 3 in. sounds better,zero back pressure.             pcm 302 4v....maybe the windsheild?????????? btw your boat is too cool,old CC's for old guys.'64 am. skier,red on white.............boat dr
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:49pm
where did you get the staff holding the CC burgee,also who made the burgee????????have lost two (flags) burgees because they dont fit the recess in the bow lite correctly.......boat dr
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:17pm
Actually I think 62's "nether regions" are rather cool.
I like a vehicle that doesn't mess up ones hair. Even with the windshield the "do" tyakes a beating on the bike.
79: Are you in FLA? I have e-mailed and voice mailed you. If you are down here and want to get together, call.
MOJO: The Keys???!!! Any chance of coming a little further North? Love to meet ya. ^2 speaks very highly of you.
Dude: Important not to mess the mullet, right?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:23pm
here is a solution to CO exhaust on inboards and I/O's that maybe nates78ski is referring to, see
- http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

i came across this a couple of months ago when i was investigating my kids headaches from the back seat. i concluded that they were on the platform too long when we swapped out skiers and so forth. now i kill the engine when we swap.

62, i believe the vaccum your refering to is also known as the "station wagon" effect of pulling fumes forward when the air cant get to them.

now, the good news - indmar has finally broken the ice of putting converters on their engines starting in '07. needless to say indmar will dominate the houseboat market with this new series of engines. the houseboat industry has been smoothered with law suits the past several years due to co poisonings
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:47pm
i did not think that a cat. converter removed carbon monoxide,but i have not huffed on my 05 mustang to find out,rotten egg smell would be a change tho.....what about the heat issue that is inherant w/cat. converters? boat dr
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 1:23am
Man, lots of great input!
heres a pic of a winshield with a vent in the center.. something like this might work? but kinda ugly

Its not like your going to pass out from the amount of exhaust you get... in fact depending if theres a little cross wind, you may not smell it at all.
   77 probably has the best description in calling it "station wagon" affect as the "freshairexhaust" site says. I really dont think that elbow would look too good( we have images to maintain)..besides they also claim to reduce exhaust noise up to 75%   
jbear would never agree to that   ......btw john, Im a little slow sometimes..Im trying to figure "nether regions"

As for chopping the 'shield...as I said its "64 ugly" , but fits the ol girl!

Munday's idea of a deflector has crossed my mind..Ive also thought about making another set of "glass" for my windwings.with a longer "tail" section, so when they're open, they would catch more air.

boatdr..the staff was an ebay find and was not the right one for the light. Its dia was larger than the socket hole. I did a little "metal-carving" to reduce the mast bases dia. After that I still didnt trust it to stay in the light. So, I took my light apart and drilled a small hole to insert a "locating screw" about 1/2" off the bottom, at the backside of its hole. I then filed a matching slot in the mast's base , 90 degrees off of the mast's installed center to slide over the screw. Kinda hard to explain.. but the mast basically slides into the socket and turns 90 degrees to lock it into place over the afore mentioned screw. (Kinda like a tailight bulb)

As for the burgee itself , a friends wife who sews custom made it for me.. I was having trouble finding one with the right rake angle. I made a paper pattern that she then duplicated.   The "Correct Craft" logo is actually cut out of red material and is sewn onto the white.        BTW...it is double sided..   and looks great!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

"Captain, I've given it all she's got... This 6 beater just won't go any faster" !!! hehehe... Hey, I say let's to a chop job on the windshield to Low rider heights !!!
Moj.

aaaahhhhhhh! to the chop ...

you makin' fun of my 6 banger? at least no ones ever called my boat that four letter 'c' word...   
hey, when/where are we gonna get together? summers running out Fast!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:54am
Steve are there any screws or rivets on the top chrome trim of the windshield or is it just a "C" molding with an interference fit? If there are attachment areas to use then you could add a small L shaped piece along the straight or slightly bow area to use as a deflector simular to what they do in racing it's called a wickerbill and is on the rear wings of open wheeled cars. It breaks up the smooth flow of air to decrease drag and makes the air flow tumble so to say. But give a try to taping off that engine vent on the motor box just incase it's coming from there and not the transom or back of the boat.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 10:00am
Hey Dr.
Here is an email address of the company that made a bow pennant for my boat. They know how to design it with the right rake, and can use different colors.
aamarine@classicboating.com
I found the pennant mast from Overtons; it fit perfectly into the original socket.

Steve, I guess if cross winds help you could tack that 64 back and forth up and down the river like a sailboat. Sorry, I'm no help.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 10:16am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Steve, I guess if cross winds help you could tack that 64 back and forth up and down the river like a sailboat.
Chuck

Thats funny then you could say that's how the merchant marine captains tought us how to drive boats back in the day during WWII.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 2:56pm
I agree with Jbear. Don't chop it. Respect the mullet.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 3:05pm
Just noticed these vents in the 76 owned by tjackle. What would it take to do something like that on yours? His don't look that bad, but the big black frame makes it easier on the eye. Such a frame might be screwy on yours.

Beautiful boat btw. I hope you can get this issue fixed.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 11:49am
Thats a CUTE little fishing boat ya got there Steve.

Steve ....I think it will go away when you stop back trolling for river carp.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 12:17pm
62, i dont think the cut away in the picture on page 1 looks bad at all and certainly looks functional. however i do understand you hestitation to go cutting away on one of those models windshields. i just dont know if i could bring myself to do it.

regarding the dudes comments about the mid seventies boats front vents - absolutly the best feature of those model boats in my opinion. personnally i think the vents look good when opened up
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 1:45pm
stang... OUCH!! Cute and fishin!??

Im Havin' a hard time getting the trolling motor and seat on the bow !
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 6:33pm
Steve all you have to do is drill another hole in the deck what's one more the first one wasn't so bad was it?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:16pm
What kind of spark plugs are you using?
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:25pm
so you're trying to say it's too rich or the engine is not tuned right...... please give us a break.... regradless of the state the engine is running it's not going to effect weather the smoke blows backwards or forwards.... unlike the smoke your trying to blow up someone's ass
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 10:14pm
Always talking about d*cks and ass.
Tim D
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 10:16pm
cant we just all get along
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic