Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solenoid Burning Up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hal A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solenoid Burning Up
    Posted: August-18-2006 at 12:24pm
I have a buddy with an odd issue. His solenoid is sticking in the closed position so that once engaged it won't stop. He has replaced it several times and still has the problem. It does not happen every time but when it does, the only way to stop it is either let it burn up... not what he does... or disconnect it from the battery.

Any thoughts?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 12:32pm
well the battery needs check for CCA rating and the cables need to be inspected as well for corrosion and undersized cable or if an automotive cable was used on marine engine.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 1:36pm
Yup, and no Marine Deep Cycle battery, those are for fish motors.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
cblars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cblars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 4:06pm
I have experienced the very same issue on my 1980 ski supreme. In fact, Gotta Ski gave me some very good tips to troubleshoot the problem - Gotta Ski, thank you. My problem was related to the blower motor and a poor connection at the dash. If I tried starting the engine with the blower on the solenoid would stick, keeping the starter engaged - tapping on the solenoid would free it up. I checked all the grounds - cleaned them up, etc. However, I found the connection at the dash for the blower motor was loose (on the fuse block). Not only was it affecting the starting, but the nav. lights would illuminate. After correcting the poor connection I have not had any problems. I guess the short version is, check for loose connections - grounds and otherwise.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 9:29pm
79 what is the difference between an automotive cable vs. an automotive type. batteries,soleniods,cables and even the new perm. magnet starters are the same as those used in the automotive industry. the new starters don't even use the sealing plate around the armature ,the solenoid is different,but only in that it has two term. on swich the other to energize the electric fuel pump during cranking.i dont see any difference in the cables. sticking solenoids are often caused from excessive amperage,dragging starter,too small on the size of the cable,ground or positive,cheap battery(wally world or auto zone). also cheap chinese solenoids,buy the stuff that came on the boat,PCM motor    PCM parts.... skidim,SE correct craft,buy good parts and the heaviest battery your wallet can afford
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 9:44pm
    Like mentioned, a cheap solenoid will give you trouble. Also make sure its a starter solenoid and not a continuous duty solenoid as you cant tell them apart from looking. Also make sure when installing a new one that you dont rotate the studs. Snugging up the jam nut against the solenoid body usually helps as they always seem to be loose from the factory on some. Generally if a hammer blow to it cures the problem, that means the contacts are stuck.

Jeff...
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2006 at 7:05am
Yup, the contacts stick when they arc and weld together when the actuating voltage drops, holding force weakens due to the afformentioned reasons..battery type and capacity, small/inferior cables, dash connections/corrosion, corrosion in wire harness QD, etc
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 3:55pm
primary difference between a good marine cable and an automotive cable is that the copper on a marine cable has been tinned. And as in all applications, gauge versus distance is critical.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic