Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stereo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pinelake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinelake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stereo
    Posted: September-03-2006 at 1:31pm
right from my last post, my wife didn't marry me cause i am a pratical kind of guy. I have bought an old marine stereo on ebay. I have installed it and it works fine. Its just that I seem to have a deep inbuilt belief that you shouldn't ground it to the battery. I can't find anywhere else that works to use as a ground. Am I just being stuipid. It maybe down to the fact that i have spent the weekend wiring a stereo with out drilling any holes, that can be a bitch. How anyone can drill a hole in a perfectly good boat is beyond me. somebody help remedial boy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2006 at 2:30pm
Grounding to the battery (or engine block) is really the only choice you have on a boat.
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2006 at 9:43pm
You should be able to ground to your gauges.

Rob
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 4:42am
Yep! I agree with Rob.Run a small grnd wire to the post where your gages are grnd too.
Foot
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:27pm
That would probably work, but its not ideal. Depending on the year, the ground wires to the dash are barely sufficient for the gauges alone. Its pretty important to have a good ground going to the stereo, so Id bulk up the ground to the dash if you go that route.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 9:58am
i ran a seperate circuit to the front of mine,#10 {trolling motor cable] to a buss bar.This gives you plenty of places for xtras,amps,sat. radio and any thing else that needs power or a ground. breaker at the battery is required,helped with the speaker hiss & noise too. boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic