NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing a floor...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing a floor...
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:06am
I posted this on the discussion re: the Tique, but it's more appropriate here. While I don't anticipate having to replace my floor anytime soon, here is my post:

A comment on restorations....I have been following a few of these since being on the site, and there seems to be a common theme...

CARPET!

Carpet and boats just don't mix and I am wondering the reasons restorers are not putting in a molded fibergla$$ floor, expecailly on these complete ground-up restorations.

When I started researching my "family-boat" purchase, one of the requirements was for a molded gla$$ floor with a 'snap-out-carpet'. I am not sorry for making that decision.

In looking at the excellent quality of work some of you folks have here, I can't believe you're not able to put in a floor like a modern boat.

Unless most are shooting for authenticity, I just don't see the reason to use carpet.

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 11:40am
I understand your thoughts but in my Case, I wan't my 25 year old boat to look like a 25 year old boat.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 11:55am
Ditto
carpet is authentic but it is also very durable, easy to clean, takes water well and all around an excellent choice. Even soaking wet, if properly dried between uses it is not a maintenance issue. With a lite vac its ready to go.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:23pm
hate sliding my skis onto the floor if no carpet.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 8:22pm
I'm with The Dude on that. My skis do not appreciate the floor of my Boston Whaler. The floor of the Whaler is easy to clean fish guts off of, but that is what it was made for.
No guts in the Nautique, please!

I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 8:42am
I like the idea of the snap in carpets over a fibergla$$ floor, makes it easier to clean and replace the carpets.. however....

It would be extremely difficult to put in a nice flat non-skid gelcote covered fibergla$$ floor without making a mold and without it looking like crap even for those here with the mad skills. I do not believe the extra time and money would be worth it.

I have replaced small sections of fibergla$$ sailboat decking befote by making rubber molds of the tread pattern from adjacent surfaces it was more art than science and if its not flat when your done you cant exactly sand it flat without starting over. Would take a better man than I to do a whole floor.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 12:46am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It would be extremely difficult to put in a nice flat non-skid gelcote covered fibergla$$ floor without making a mold and without it looking like crap even for those here with the mad skills.

I bet Scott Peters could do it! ;-)
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 12:58am
And....because it's cheep and easy! If done right(resin on the wood)using good carpet...your good for a long time! Oh...did I mention...It's cheep and easy!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 7:33am
If you want your old boat to look like a new boat I think you should get the new boat. As a member of the ACBS, non original restorations are not considered restorations and a major point deduction in judged shows. I am a purest and feel every effort should be made to make our boats as original as possible. I also am a owner of a 1954 Super Delux Atom Skier that has won best of show. If you are going to let your boat get that wet maybe the new one should be a Boston Whaler. Pete
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 8:34am
A agree with the carpet in the ski boats and trying to keep them original, however CC has made allot of recreational boats i.e. South Wind, Freeport, San Jaun and the Fish just to name a few. In my cuddy I would love to have fibergla$$ floor and snap in carpet. The only alternative I see is using something like Nautolex over gla$$ed in wood?
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 1:14pm
I have taken the other approach to the deck. I have built and gla$$ed down a pre molded deck and am non-skidding it. My attitude is I can always carpet it later if I choose to. It did take alot of work but it looks fantastic.
Be skin'ya!
B.J.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 1:29pm
Hasbeen....don't tease me like that. You need to post some pictures.

thanks
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:22pm
I am with the rest of you guys I am sending my boat to have the floor and stringers redone and carpet is the only way to go.

Besides it's something to clean, so you have some place else to be when the wife is upset.
rafman67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafman67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 11:18am
Whats the best way to clean (shampoo) the carpet? I have a 1995 Nautique.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 12:54pm
I have never had a reason to shampoo the carpet. No shoes allowed in my boat. Set towels on floor when working on the motor. I just use my shop vac on. Helps take some of the extra water out to. But I am sure one of the guys on this site has advise about shampoo for the carpet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic