NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stripped / Rusted drain plug hole

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripped / Rusted drain plug hole
    Posted: October-30-2018 at 9:38pm
I need some engine expert help. I was winterizing my boat and have a problem. The aft / left side drain plug hole has rusted to the point there there are no more threads. I purchased a new drain plug and I can't get it started at all. So I am now stuck in my winterizing process since I can't pour the antifreeze in until I can put back in my drain plug.

The plugs appear to be 1/4" pipe thread. What do I do? I need to tap the block drain spot. Can I buy a tap somewhere and do this? What size? What thread? Please be specific. Do I need to take it to an engine shop?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 9:49pm
They are 1/4 inch pipe threads

If you get a 1/4-18 NPT tap you should be able to use it to make some new threads good enough to put a new plug in there.

It's not the best place to be working but you can do it

MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 9:49pm
Been there.    Just need a 1/4” NPT pipe tap.   Some hardware stores carry, maybe HD or Lowe’s. McMaster- Carr for sure.   Just don’t tap in too deep as it will make the hole bigger and tough to seal because of the taper.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 9:54pm
Here's an old thread in the link saying all the same stuff that me and Mark mentioned

link
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 10:08pm
Awesome. Will stop by ACE on my way home tomorrow. Thanks for the link too. 2010! That a good deep track there. :)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 10:19pm
Solid brass pipe plugs tend to run fatter than hollow
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Solid brass pipe plugs tend to run fatter than hollow

Agree on that. But, if the threads are not too far gone, meaning you have some decent resistance right away when you start the tap, I'd try putting in a petcock so you don't have to use the threads any more once you have it in. I've also used 3-4 wraps of teflon tape to add some sealing bulk on the new threads.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 1:15am
The problem is that the threads are really gone. There's nothing to "start" to grab. The part where the threads would start to engage looks like a smooth tube. The other drain plug area is fine with lots of thread. This one on the left for some reason is dealing with more rust problems. I'll tap and report back. Thanks, everyone.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 1:20am
How about careful drilling to 3/8" and tapping new NPT threads? Is there enough metal to do that?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

How about careful drilling to 3/8" and tapping new NPT threads? Is there enough metal to do that?

Certainly an option I'd suggest. Going to 3/8 pipe means only enlarging the hole .0937" (3/32") in diameter which is only .0468" (3/64") per side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:02am
Here comes the "backyard hack" in me

I'd try the 1/4 inch pipe tap whether you think it'll work or not and see what you get for results. It'll cost you less than 10 bucks or so to try it.

If that doesn't work and you want to get antifreeze into it for the winter, I'd get an expandable rubber plug of the appropriate size and put that in.

Here's an example in the link and they do make them small enough. A good hardware store should have what you'd need.

link

As far as laying on the floor with a 1/2 inch drill with a big bit (37/64), getting a straight shot at the hole with any kind of precision and then getting the 3/8 npt tap started/ finished with any kind of leverage/force................it ain't gonna be easy.

The rubber plug would give you all winter to decide what to do if the 1/4 inch tap doesn't work.

Disclaimer..................A really accomplished, full fledged "backyard hack" might use that as a permanent solution

You could also do the drain and pour some antifreeze in and drain that out and leave it dry method for the winter.

I can see Pete clutching his chest as I type this.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:32am
Darn good points and advice, Ken. I once used a whittled stick to plug a hole for the winter so the engine could be pickled. It didn't become a hack job until the boat owner thought it held up so well over the winter that he could run it like that all summer.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here comes the "backyard hack" in me

I'd try the 1/4 inch pipe tap whether you think it'll work or not and see what you get for results. It'll cost you less than 10 bucks or so to try it.

If that doesn't work and you want to get antifreeze into it for the winter, I'd get an expandable rubber plug of the appropriate size and put that in.

Here's an example in the link and they do make them small enough. A good hardware store should have what you'd need.

link

As far as laying on the floor with a 1/2 inch drill with a big bit (37/64), getting a straight shot at the hole with any kind of precision and then getting the 3/8 npt tap started/ finished with any kind of leverage/force................it ain't gonna be easy.

The rubber plug would give you all winter to decide what to do if the 1/4 inch tap doesn't work.

Disclaimer..................A really accomplished, full fledged "backyard hack" might use that as a permanent solution

You could also do the drain and pour some antifreeze in and drain that out and leave it dry method for the winter.

I can see Pete clutching his chest as I type this.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:34am
Let's not forget you don't need to plug that hole for winter...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:36am

No, but if you do that, pour some antifreeze through the engine to flush the water out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:39am
Good suggestions above. Have encountered this several times. Running the 1/4” tap deeper and then taping the heck out of the new fitting will almost always solve it. If clearance allows (fords aren’t usually problematic), the McMaster quick drains are nice and will prevent you from putting additional cycles on marginal threads.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:42am
Does leaving the plugs out cause the threads to corrode?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:58am
Yes
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 11:30am
That's not the cause of corrosion.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 11:52am
I don’t know what everyone else does, but I usually put a small amount of grease on the threads, marine grease, bearing grease, etc. it can help to act as a rust preventative if you are going to leave your plug out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 12:06pm

That's not the cause of corrosion.

The water and air interacting in the exposed threads would be the direct cause... seems that leaving the plugs out would be a strong contributor to that.

I’ve only lost the threads on one engine that I had maintained for a long period of time, and it occurred in the spring following the single winter where I drained only and left the plugs out. Maybe it was a long time coming but that sure seemed to speed the process. Plugs get reinserted now.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 12:11pm
I use Teflon tape and snug them up, not crank them down.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I’ve only lost the threads on one engine that I had maintained for a long period of time, and it occurred in the spring following the single winter where I drained only and left the plugs out. Maybe it was a long time coming but that sure seemed to speed the process. Plugs get reinserted now.

Same here. Forgot they were out. Lucky enough thread deep in the hole cleaned up with a tap worked.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I once used a whittled stick to plug a hole for the winter so the engine could be pickled. It didn't become a hack job until the boat owner thought it held up so well over the winter that he could run it like that all summer.

Seachoice wood emergency plugs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 6:28pm
Purchased a 1/4-18 tap at NAPA on my lunch break. Will report again soon. I’m hopeful that it will be really dry so I can get a good look. Going to look at McMaster quick drains right now...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Going to look at McMaster quick drains right now...

The McMaster part is 4921K2. It's a 1/4 with the removable stem/T handle so you can still probe the drain with some wire checking for sediment/blockage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Purchased a 1/4-18 tap at NAPA on my lunch break. Will report again soon. I’m hopeful that it will be really dry so I can get a good look. .

Kevin,
One thing you should be aware of when running the tap in deep is how deep the water cavity is behind the hole. If there's not enough room, then the tap can bottom out before you get some decent threads cut. There are taps that are called "bottoming" or "short projection" where the taper is larger in diameter at the bottom of the tap. Think about trying to tap a pipe cap. In a pinch, I've cut taps shorter to get the same results. Check how deep the hole in the block is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 9:33pm

No, but if you do that, pour some antifreeze through the engine to flush the water out.

I thought that when you did the " drain only method " you didn't need to add any anti freeze at all ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

I thought that when you did the " drain only method " you didn't need to add any anti freeze at all ?

Jeff,
Correct. If you drain only, no antifreeze is needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Jeff,
Correct. If you drain only, no antifreeze is needed.

I've always squirted a bit of antifreeze in each engine drain, manifold drain, raw water hose, top engine hose. Likely not needed, just an old habit. When I say squirt, I'm using a syringe so barely a few ounces total.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 8:53am
I always put the plugs back in and pour 1/2 half gallon of anti freeze into engine, then pull the plugs again. Water always proceeds the antifreeze draining out, so if you just pull the plugs, some water remains in the engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic