Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Platform Mount Holes

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Platform Mount Holes
    Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:08am
I have a question about how to repair Swim Platform Mount Holes, mine will not hold the screws. Is there some sort of Epoxy that can be used that can be drilled and then will securely hold the screws and stand up to regular use?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:15am
did you try holding the nuts on the inside of the boat while tightening the bolts on the outside?
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:45am
79, I am not too familiar with this 81 SN as of yet but the brackets seem to be held in place with just Stainless Lag Screws. I have been reading some other posts, and I am looking for a better way to secure this platform. Thanks in advance for any help.

Kerry
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:51am
I doubt that they are lag screws the two lower outside ones maybe but the rest will be throu bolts that require nuts on the inside. Remove the back panel and you will see them otherwise your screwed if they are just lag bolts because the wood is rotten and water soaked and there's only one fix for that.
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 11:19am
Well I removed the platform and the brackets, nothing was through bolted (just lag screws)maybe this is part of the problem? I am getting the idea that at least the top holes should run through and have a plate on the inside with washers and nuts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:16pm
I would be more worried about the water damage to the transom than running new thru bolts and plates they're not going to do much good when they ripe thru the transom because it's rotted out.
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:24pm
79, I am not sure if I am missing something here or not. 1)How are these platforms normally mounted? 2)The existing holes look like they are original, and the platform looks original also. 3)If this is how it was originally mounted, why would there have to be a problem? are the holes normally sealed with something like silicone? It seems weird that there are no through holes if that was normal in 1981. Thanks for the help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:41pm
not all came with platforms alot had ladders and the platform may have been added by someone else. The bolts/lags/brackets should have been sealed with silicone if there is no silicone present then that's not good and why the bolts just turn and will not tighten up because it's rotted out and there is nothing for the bolts to bite into.
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 12:53pm
Thanks, There was silicone present. I was just thinking that like anything threaded into wood with weight on and off of it over time, that it would eventually pull the threads. I guess that I will look closer for Rot, and if not I will through drill it on the top holes. I have seen products like epoxy to fix small areas of rot like in stringers, would this be advisable to use? I am thinking that I could then redrill the remaining holes, seal well and use stainless lag screws. I apprecite your help on this, my 70 doesn't have a platform and I am not familiar with what is normal.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 3:35pm
79, silicone is not the choice for sealing anything below water line,it is fine for the rubrail or for sealing around fitting on deck. but never below the water. silicone shrinks as it hardens,sure way to rot out the transom,instead "silastic" basicly the same but more durable and does not shrink. they are called polysulfides, 3M sells several types depending on usage .4000 ,4200 ,5200 and the most used is 101.Golley 79 i thought you knew that,rite tool for the rite job.79 silconeis what i use around the windows and doors to keep out the spiders..... boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 3:42pm
I was just using the terms he was to not confuse the issue and I only use 5200 on the boat you must be wackywillies butt buddy
I guess
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

you must be wackywillies butt buddy I guess

Eewww !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 4:59pm
the term 5200,or 4000 or even 101 are out of your vocabulary,and we are not even going to try to get you to spell are we? they are called polysulfides,i am hear to learn and share,not to show contemp when proven to have pa$$ed on BAD info. if you meant 5200 use the correct info, some of these guys need useful,hands on guidance,not put downs and attacks on their IQ ,I GOT YO NUMBER BUCKO. Do you even own a boat, or have you hijacked the pics the way you do the other info bs you feed the newbie.....Your the kinda guy that that boat shops love.a little knowledge followed by a lot of STUPID;ie wall mart(Sony X PLode) stereo ,not in my boat, boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 5:22pm
Billy you don't know d*ck about me and there are several on here that can attest to the boat I own and the power it has maybe you where to busy stroking yourself to go to Green lake and spend time with the members on this forum, I sure as hell wasn't, and I sure you have a nice set of Klipsch speekers in your boat Like I do, your bullsh*t is really getting old the more sh*t that comes out of your mouth is like your god and we're all phucking idiots. I didn't spend years design engine components and orthopeadic implants because I don't know what I'm doing.

My engine is a real piece of sh*t

and I still have a bunch of nice shiney polished aluminujm and anodized parts to bolt on sitting in the garage oh and there are the heads I have sitting there waiting to go on to. You're just stuck on yourself and smell like sh*t because your heads been up your a$$ for so long.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 6:40pm
the blue bilge pump hose looks real cute and that oxidation on that old holley looks real cutr too, oh and by the way any exhaust joint REQUIRES 2 s/s hose clamps to be coast guard approved,but you knew that didn't you.also the pipe plug you used in the intake is a real tell all as to what is on the inside of your motor.if you do have all this education,engine design,and the medical BS you should have at least a few hours of higher learning,ie jr.collage,they did not require you to spell properly,or they just gave you a piece of paper and said go get a job. most people can use more than three and four letter words followed by cursing and profanity,but that ain' you is it???? did you buy those cheesey valve cvers a wally world too................boat dr 79 what is "I still have a bunch of nice shiney polished aluminujm and anodized parts ,we spell it diferently,but hell i live in LA.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 7:15pm
been over this a bunch I don't care about the spelling here 9 times out of 10 it's hitting the wrong key on the key board and it's not important your one to talk you should read your posting and correct the errors in it. What you call oxidation is the coating that was removed when it was cleaned in carb cleaner then again I'm sure you cann't make a 25 yr old carb run like new either and what else would you use in a pipe thread a galvenized plug instead of bra$$ or just weld it up or maybe use a straight thread, sorry I didn't have a hex plug handy at the time, edlebrock makes junk I guess, and I'm sure you have no clue what conduit is either.

so what the hell is     cutr,    collage,    ain' or diferently, cvers

Your a regular hypocrite for being the worldly scholar that you claim to be. Guess you have trouble using the shift key to make a letter capital after a period or using big words like I. I've never gone to a college but I did go to a university. My elementary English teacher did teach me how to write capital letters and to start a sentence with capital letters thou.

You talk about me attacking everyone and your so full of sh*t and a hypocrite, because all you have done this last week is attack any post I've left a remark or comment on. God know's what we would have done without out you the two and half years before you ever joined this site with your wealth of knowledge.
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 9:05pm

Im curious, what is the fitting coming off the thermostat outlet hose under the coil do? (white fitting with small hose running down the back of the motor)

Dan
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 9:08pm
it is common knowledge that chrome valve covers will tend to insulte rather than disipate heat,something about the different metals. steel valve cover,copper,nickel,then chrome,they do not promote heat transfer as well as aluminium,hard word for you to spell 79? attack and correct are two entirely different concepts.with your grammer ,as u use it here ,you knew more than the teacher.end of subject......call Eric and tell him how to build trannys and refinish boats................you can do that too,cant you,bet you can,a man once said a mans vocabulry is directly related to his self worth,i beleive it was Mark Twain,but you never heard of him?????? very observant man...........boat dr
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 12:51am
I have an '89 and the platform was also held on by lag screws. I wanted to change it and added through bolts with backing plates. The backing plates are 3/16 thick stainless steel with nuts welded to them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 8:59am
Boat d*ck it's spelled ALUMINUM YA DUMB a$$ HYPOCRITE.

Guess you have no clue what hypocrite means. Never knew valve covers where heat sinks and since they are not it really doesn't matter what material they are made from especially since these boats only see around 160-180 degrees it's really not an issue. Besides they where steel from the factory and the chrome plating isn't going to effect them enought to worry about.

91nautique the fitting is the coolant line for my drippless packing gland for the prop shaft.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 9:24am
yes 79 i spelled that one wrong,thanx for the grammer lesson,as for the valve covers,if exposed to an airstream,not in our case,they do remove large amounts of oil laden heat.there is a lot of oil flow under those covers,and no engine oil cooler. they were steel on the OEM motor cause they are cost effective(FoMoCo= cheap)I just like the looks of the Ford custom covers. i have no problem with incorrect info,when wrong i stand down.79[1] boat dr[0] your serve..........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 9:46am
if your oil is hitting the valve covers then your rockers are not adjusted correctly so there realy isn't an issue and considering oil coolers are aftermarket devices that no OEM's use it's really not an issue, your really out there trying to be smarter than everyone else. You have had a chip on your shoulder ever since you've joined this site and it's getting really old and I'm sure everyone else it getting tiered of it as well as me.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 10:00am
70/81

My 81 also has SS lag bolts holding the platform brackets. They still tighten down pretty good so I left them that way but if your having trouble your wood has probably soaked up a little water and has softened. Do like the above post and add some backing plates and through bolts and your good to go.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 10:21am
i have a ford engine in my boat ,and as far as i know the rockers are not adjustable,but what do i know????new style GT-40 heads,no studs,bolts right down thru the fulcrum,a$$emble parts and pieces add bolt torque to specs.no adjustment other than push rod length,i must have a different set up than you.i have lottsa oil in my valve covers,remove v/c and see how much oil flow is there.this oil cools and lubes the rockers ,and has nothing to do with lash adj.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 11:01am
it's not even worth discussing here, the oil flows down and never hits the covers the only way it can is if it blows past the rocker while being squirted out of the push rod, no one said that it was a rail mount system or a pedistol system which are cheap and not as effective as a screw in stud mount system.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 11:27am
79 this thread made me think of you(10. A blonde said, "I was worried that my mechanic might try to rip me off. I was relieved when he told me all I needed was turn signal fluid
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 11:29am
I am raising the flag of truce,see it white flag,no more, you win.....UNCLE......... boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 7:39pm
you guys give up to easy
"the things you own will start to own you"
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 6:10am
   You designed orthopedic implants? Thats cool. Did you work for Zimmer? My brother is a pilot for them (captain).
   He races sailboats on Wawasee.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 9:04am
Pat I worked at Depuy on the otherside of town.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic