Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chucky’s 1966 Mustang rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
Author
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 12:42am
I’ll probably install the strainer. The thing with the strainer is...there’s not a lot of room for it. Especially when you factor in being able to service it. I’m open to suggestions as to where it should live (including the garbage can ). Made progress on the shifter tonight. I installed a “lighter” spring in the floating block, as it was too stiff. I also swapped all 4 brass cable ends. Here’s a couple of them for comparison.

Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 10:49am
I had issues with the new cable ends a couple of years ago. The new one was a bit longer than the original and would catch on the other arm and prevent movement. I have some pictures in this link.

Link
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 12:08pm
Good deal / thanks for the heads up. I planned on placing a washer or two under the cotter pin to remove most of the “slop”. But now, I will pay closer attention to that and possibly place them (any required washers) under the “head”, BEFORE installing them through the arm. I guess I could grind them slightly shorter too. I have about 5 things that need a “touch” of grinding, now maybe 6. Thanks again. I want this control to work perfectly. It sure has been a challenge thus far.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 4:07pm
Keep us posted on your strainer progress. I like the idea of having one, but don't know where I'd put it on my '68. The boat has made it 52 years without one so it's probably fine.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

I like the idea of having one, The boat has made it 52 years without one so it's probably fine.

Depends on what water you're boating in. I've made it without for 66, 56 and 43 years respectively with my 3 boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 11:11pm
Happy belated birthday Pete! I really didn’t want to install that plastic POS. I’m not saying it isn’t happening for sure...but most likely not. Keep it simple stupid. Lots of progress being made...crazy amount of mock-up, assembly, disassembly being done. Social distancing couldn’t have come at a better time. Stay healthy everyone!
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2020 at 11:16pm
Repainted to the proper matching color and then some precision sanding.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2020 at 7:26pm
Looks nice!
'92 Sport Nautique
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 2:22pm
^^Thanks!^^ I’m looking for input on exhaust ideas...This project came with these rubber elbows. After researching them on the web, they claim to be good to 250 degrees. They look a bit “thin” to me. Should I use them? Are they designed for a different application? Seems right out of the collector could exceed 250 degrees?   Another issue is that the transom through pipes are actually slightly ABOVE the floor (about 1”). I was thinking about a 2’ length of “wet” exhaust hose would “sag” or “off-set” downward enough to get under the floor. Any pictures or ideas would be appreciated / Happy Easter!

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 3:10pm
Being a fabricator I would prefer aluminum elbows there. Especially because of being 90*. You could have the whole "S" bend welded together.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 3:21pm
Chuck,
Those elbows have been used by other members and I haven't heard of any problems. I believe their intended use is for a large diesel cooling system.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 3:34pm
When I put mufflers on I had to cut out the floor out under the seat because of the same reason. Your back seat is probably different but the concept is the same.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chuck,
Those elbows have been used by other members and I haven't heard of any problems. I believe their intended use is for a large diesel cooling system.

Has anyone on here ever checked the manifold exit temp when running at high RPM? Would be interesting info. Not sure of what the rubber is rated for either. If I were not a fabricator then I would tend to go the rubber route myself. What we need on here is an Engineer.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Chuck,

Has anyone on here ever checked the manifold exit temp when running at high RPM? Would be interesting info. Not sure of what the rubber is rated for either. If I were not a fabricator then I would tend to go the rubber route myself. What we need on here is an Engineer.

Duane,
I've never checked the actual temperature but I have laid my hand on exhaust hose so, I doubt the temp gets anywhere close to the 250 degrees. I did some checking on straight marine exhaust hose and found that it's rated at 200 continuous and 250 intermediate. I feel and some can contest to it that the only time the exhaust gets way up there in temp is when cooling water is lost.

BTW, my stating those 90's of Chucks are intended for a diesel cooling system may be wrong. Here's Shield's 90's desiged for the job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 4:44pm

Chuck,

Hi Duane

Remember your water pressure thread a few years back?

Who gave you the answers to that question?    

I've checked these temperatures, but I'm not gonna post anything since somebody would probably have too many questions about my test conditions like

What was the thermostat temperature rating?

Was the thermostat open?

Was it a new impeller or an old used one?

Was it double walled, wire reinforced hose? Did it have double hose clamps everywhere and what kind were they?

What did you measure the temperature with?

What's the temperature gradient across the wall of the hose?

And on and on

By the way, did you ever put in a pressure gauge or switch?

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 5:53pm
You left out which phase the moon was in at the time.
Thanks for the replies everyone / it all helps! Time to grill steaks, broil asparagus and have a few deviled eggs as an appetizer. I’ll get back on the boat soon.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Short answer No

I was curious on the temps around those 90* rubber curves though.   Granted different scenario but the EGT's on my airplane vary VASTLY from idle to WOT. I would be amazed if you can cool them down 600 to 800 degrees in that small of an area. The velocity of the gases increase a lot also.   Would be pretty simple to install a thermocouple in the maniflold near the exit. I think I have a spare gauge laying around the hangar.   Hmmm
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 7:51pm

Would be pretty simple to install a thermocouple in the maniflold near the exit. I think I have a spare gauge laying around the hangar.   Hmmm

Install it in the elbow after the water enters the exhaust.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 9:18pm

Short answer No

I was curious on the temps around those 90* rubber curves though.   Granted different scenario but the EGT's on my airplane vary VASTLY from idle to WOT. I would be amazed if you can cool them down 600 to 800 degrees in that small of an area. The velocity of the gases increase a lot also.   Would be pretty simple to install a thermocouple in the maniflold near the exit. I think I have a spare gauge laying around the hangar.   Hmmm

One thing to keep in mind is that the exhaust gases are being cooled well before they physically mix with the cooling water since the cooling water surrounds the internal passages in the manifold and riser, then when they are physically mixed together at the outlet the water knocks the hell out of the gas temperature since spraying water into a hot gas is a pretty effective way of cooling it..

PCM pyramid manifolds on a typical 351 would have about 10 gallons per minute flowing through each of them at about 4000 rpm or so based on a Sherwood G21 pump curve.

Chucky's manifolds with no riser and less water jacketing may leave things a little warmer but probably not much.

Start reducing or completely taking away the cooling water and then the trouble starts
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 11:09pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5vUJd02SUxg

Ok...practicing posting a video (for future “on water” fun). I made an aluminum bracket to mount the shifter without cutting a giant hole in the fiberglass. I’ll simply cut a U shaped notch in the (future) interior panel, to slip up from below. New “Morse” cables purchased from Jegs. I’m very happy with the quality, and they say “made in the USA” on them. I also purchased a real nice carb cable bracket ($21) to make for a clean install. The shifter works incredibly! The 3 detent gear that Keno sent me is the “cat’s ass”. From neutral to forward or reverse is “the next” detent...and then beyond, is all throttle. It’s exactly the way it’s supposed to be. I have no idea how it ever worked before. Thanks Keno for the parts!
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 11:59pm
Chucky - my center rear floorboard is notched similar to Gary’s custom setup. My exhaust outlets are also 1” above the floorboard. I don’t have mufflers, just the factory rubber exhaust piping. With the seat in place you can’t come close to seeing the notches.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5vUJd02SUxg

Ok...practicing posting a video (for future “on water” fun). I made an aluminum bracket to mount the shifter without cutting a giant hole in the fiberglass. I’ll simply cut a U shaped notch in the (future) interior panel, to slip up from below. New “Morse” cables purchased from Jegs. I’m very happy with the quality, and they say “made in the USA” on them. I also purchased a real nice carb cable bracket ($21) to make for a clean install. The shifter works incredibly! The 3 detent gear that Keno sent me is the “cat’s ass”. From neutral to forward or reverse is “the next” detent...and then beyond, is all throttle. It’s exactly the way it’s supposed to be. I have no idea how it ever worked before. Thanks Keno for the parts!

I'd send you some Edelbrock mounting instructions, but I figure you mounted it backwards on purpose

You probably just wanted to see if anybody noticed .................well I did   

It makes me think of off roading, hill climbing and float bowl levels.

Hope it works for ya'

PS I won't mention anything about anything else I noticed since you might have sorta' made mention of or hinted about the something else previously

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2020 at 10:43pm
Yes, the carb is mounted backwards on purpose. At this point, I’m experimenting / testing to see what works best. The project came with a (non-marine) Holley carb. No final decisions / purchases will be made until after test runs.

I had my daughter label my switch panel, as her penmanship is outstanding. Eventually, I will clear coat it. One step at a time.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 1:06pm
That’s a nice touch.
'92 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 8:53pm

Yes, the carb is mounted backwards on purpose. At this point, I’m experimenting / testing to see what works best. The project came with a (non-marine) Holley carb. No final decisions / purchases will be made until after test runs.

I like it

I guess you can only put the distributor in one way.

Speaking of that, what came with it for a distributor?

My psychic powers are saying it's a Mallory crab cap.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 11:31pm
I have 3 distributors to choose from, including the Mallory YL crab cap. It’s cool looking, but beyond that, I’m not impressed. I could, and might go into great detail on what I think sucks about the YL, but if you wait too long before posting your reply on this website, it erases your post because you “timed out” or whatever. So, maybe I will type a big reply and “cut and paste” it later.
Briefly though...
1.) the cap to body fit is sloppy / you can easily wiggle the cap.
2.) it’s a points distributor, which is outperformed by an electronic version.
3.) the rotor tip to cap electrode measurement is HUGE. I’ve been researching rotors and it’s not the 309 and it’s not the black one when you google “Mallory YL rotor”.

I better post now before CCF cuts me off.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 11:48pm
I was pretty excited when the PO handed over this tub of hoses upon my purchase. Yeah...NONE of these fit or are going to be used. There’s also a 6’ chunk of 3” exhaust hose up in my attic...yep, it fits NOTHING on this boat. I’m starting to see a pattern.

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:04am
Well, I finally recalled the PO mentioning “re-glassing” the mufflers. Now I know what those PVC adapter things (posted earlier) were for. They were to pressure test the mufflers. I’d like to post more details, but I simply don’t have all the time in the world. You can kinda see the “fresh wrap” of fiberglass on the muffler nipples (note that there’s only about 1/2” of new fiberglass on the nipples). Why they left the old, mismatched, rusted, too short nipples in place makes no sense to me. They obviously separated or “leaked” which is what drove the repair. My thoughts are that the 2 different materials expand and contract at much different rates which caused the initial failure and it’s bound to happen again. Anybody need some mufflers? I’m not using them, or the rubber 90’s.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:26am

To go by that reasoning your hull dates back 57 years. It is with out a doubt outperformed by a electronically designed version

Your PO muffler repair is what Pete refers to a backyard hack job. There should be no metal in on or around them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 10:59am

You are opening yourself up for a lot of controversy with that statement. I know a guy on here that has had the original set of points in his boat for nearly a hundred years or so and only adjusts them every 60 years or so.
I would hang onto those mufflers. They can still be repaired to near new with little effort. New ends that you can wrap yourself and install new baffles as needed. Your rear seat passengers will appreciate mufflers. They really don't suppress a lot of noise but do make it more tolerable.
Enjoying reading about your resto. Nice work. Keep it up. Duane in Indy

1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
  Share Topic