Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Treatment for boat cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treatment for boat cover
    Posted: September-28-2006 at 6:55pm
My factory stock cover has seemed to have lost its water repellency. Are there any recommendations on a fabric treatment to bring back its original water repellent characteristics?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 7:43am
303 fabric guard is pretty good from what I hear. I know thats what Sunbrella recommends. You'll need quite a bit of product to treat it though.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 7:55am
Google search on 303 Fabric Guard:
"Powerful enough to protect fabrics in the harshest environment ...outdoors. Yet 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is safe for the finest fabrics, wool, silk, and fine leathers - including suede. On outdoor fabrics, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellency and stain repellency to factory new levels. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard resists soiling, impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays.
303 High Tech Fabric Guard is powerful enough to protect fabrics in the harshest environment ... outdoors ... Yet safe enough for the finest fabrics. Proper maintenance with 303 Products will add to the life of your fabrics, save you money, and ... It's Easy !"

Right on the button TR. Thx

2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 9:20am
West Marine makes a similar product for sealing Sunbrella. I have used it on a previous boat camper canvas and it works fine. Not sure of cost difference between 303. TR is right it takes guit a bit of product to get a good seal.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 9:35am
If you go to a canvas shop, they typically can sell you the sealer that they use on awnings, etc. It comes in a gallon, you mix it a bit, and use a garden pest sprayer to apply it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 2:31pm
303 Fabric Guard. 16oz will do 75-100 sq ft (barely enough for a cover). Cost is $13. 32 oz is $24 and a gallon of this stuff is $84.
It aint cheap....but neither is replacing wooden floors.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 2:37pm
The cheapest I have found 303 for is at autogeek. They sell the 32 oz for $20 and the gallon for $70. If you google "autogeek coupon" there are plenty of websites that offer codes worth 10-15% off. If you dont mind "borrowing" the code, it will save you a few bucks.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 2:39pm
I purchased some generic canvas water repellent from Ace hardware for my old cover (TR's). It's in the clothing section. It took about 2 spray cans to do it but it really worked wonders. It made the water run off like mercury.
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 7:20pm
I am experiencing a similar problem with my canvas cover- seems to have lost most of it's water repel ability- and was considering spraying on a water repellent. However, I'm not sure how best to spray it on. I don't think I would want to do it with the cover on the boat - but then what would be a good way to support the cover off the boat so that there weren't any big creases/folds that would prevent complete coverage of the spray and/or get the underside of the cover dirty. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 8:05pm
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 4:27am
Try Thomsons water seal its a cheap fix,works on docks too..
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 7:27am
An old custom canvas man told me to use Thompsons water seal. Spread it out on the dock and mop it on.
Be skiin' ya! bj
hasbeenskier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic