Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Zero oil pressure. Ticking engine. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Zero oil pressure. Ticking engine. Help!
    Posted: June-21-2020 at 1:25pm
After running perfectly for about 3 hours and over 10 miles. We were coming out of about a mile long no wake zone and I noticed the oil pressure gage at 0. I always check the gages and the oil pressure And it is always between 20 and 40 temp was always perfect. I shut it down as soon as I saw the gage. I tapped on the gage and the pressure sending unit and fired it up again and noticed a pretty good ticking noise. After checking oil level and a couple other things I started it back up a few times but nothing changed. I brought the engine up above 2000 rpm for less than a min to see if something was stuck but nothing changed. We were 10 miles from our trailer so the sheriff towed us about a mile to the nearest launch we’re a helpful bystander took us back to our truck.

First thing I’m going to do is pull the DUI and see if the hex is stripped on the oil pump shaft.. hopefully that’s it.

What damage if any have I done to the motor and is there anyway to check?? I’ve read about ticking going away once oil pressure comes back, but have not found a thread where anyone has suddenly lost oil pressure with full oil level. hoping I have not done any more damage.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2020 at 1:45pm
Well, that's not good news. Nope. Any guess on how long you were running on zero oil pressure before you shut the engine down? Also, running the engine with zero oil pressure at 2,000 RPMs -- even for less than a minute -- can cause significant damage. The "ticking" sound could be a valve train component. Without a good, constant film of oil on your camshaft, you can destroy a lobe fairly quickly.

You may want to pull an oil sample and send it off to a diagnostic lab for oil analysis. The truckers and heavy equipment operators do this regularly to see what's in the oil. Based on the metal content analysis, a good lab can often determine which component group is wearing.

It's certainly possible that your oil pump drive shaft failed. You are correct in checking that first. However, an oil pump failure is also possible.

In my opinion, a rebuild is in your future...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2020 at 1:54pm
Thanks Jq. DUI end looks fine. But the oil pump shaft hex Looks like it’s off center from the hole it goes through. I will post some pics soon but it’s hard to see.

I did drop this motor square on the oil pan when I was doing the stringers 2 winters ago.... wondering if that is catching up to me now....

Looks like I’ll at least be pulling the motor.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2020 at 1:57pm
My guess on how long it was running with no oil pressure is less than 5 min at idle. Seemed like when I noticed the gage I could barely hear a tick and had to turn off the blower to be sure. Then the next couple times I fired it up the ticking was obvious.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

Thanks Jq. DUI end looks fine. But the oil pump shaft hex Looks like it’s off center from the hole it goes through. I will post some pics soon but it’s hard to see.

I did drop this motor square on the oil pan when I was doing the stringers 2 winters ago.... wondering if that is catching up to me now....

Looks like I’ll at least be pulling the motor.

The hex shaft always looks off center in the hole and it's not centered till you slide the distributor shaft over the hex.

It might be hard to visualize, but it's normal for the shaft to flop to one side or another till the distributor shaft is slid over it.

You could use a priming tool for the 351 oil pump with a good 120 volt AC drill running in reverse (BACKWARDS) to see if it develops oil pressure.

Some people use what's available like a long 1/4 inch drive extension with a 5/16 socket firmly taped or tack welded to it so it can't fall off and go kerplunk into the sump. but there's a certain amount of risk there with it falling off if it's taped and not tack welded. Same routine with a drill turning in reverse (BACKWARDS)

You should feel some pretty good resistance if it's pumping oil and you'll see pressure on your gauge if the ignition key is in the RUN position.

No resistance and no oil pressure means you've got some engine disassembly in your future.

From the sounds of things, your pump died or the pressure relief valve failed though.

A mechanical pressure gauge probably wouldn't tell you much, since you have ticking noises that just developed with the loss of pressure indicating that you really did lose pressure..
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2020 at 5:29pm
You have been given great advice.   Try the manual spinning of the oil pump drive and see what you get for pressure.   I have done this with a speed handle if you don't have a drill handy.   You need a 1/2 drive drill, the light duty ones do not have enough power.
Follow Ken's advice and at least tape the parts together that you drop down in the engine.   

When you loose oil pressure the engine can self destruct in as little as 30 seconds so I expect you still had some flow but lost pressure. As Ken already said that points to a stuck oil pressure relief valve.
Any small piece of debris in your oil can cause the relief valve to stick.   When they stick open you still pump oil but your pressure is lost so maybe the rods and main bearings are still good since they are close to the pump.   Sounds like you will be pulling off the oil pan either way soon but your engine may still be OK if you are lucky.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2020 at 6:20pm
KENO’s advice is good. You can spin your oil pump drive by power drill. That will provide a good diagnosis on the oil pump status. Follow the recommendations For securing your tools with tape. I use 3m black duct tape when I prime an engine using this method.

Bright side: if you did fry the engine, you can make it bigger, stronger and faster when rebuilding. Easy for me to say, but I’m good at spending your time and money.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 11:59am
Thank a lot guys. I will try to give it a spin with the drill. I am also looking into an oil analysis lab. There are a couple in the area that might be worth it.

If I feel resistance on the pump but the pressure relief valve is stuck how will i know if the pump is working properly if the pressure gauge still reads zero? Will I be able to hear oil spraying or can I pull something off to watch the flow of oil?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 12:25pm

If I feel resistance on the pump but the pressure relief valve is stuck how will I know if the pump is working properly if the pressure gauge still reads zero? Will I be able to hear oil spraying or can I pull something off to watch the flow of oil?

Assuming that your oil pressure sending unit and oil pressure gauge are working, simply turn your key to the "ON" position and spin the oil pump using the drill method described above. If the pump develops pressure, you should see the needle on the gauge move. If you are not certain that one or both are functioning properly, then you need to visually see the oil flowing. One way to do this is to remove a valve cover. If the oil pump is still working and you spin it with the drill, you will see oil flowing from oil ports in the head around the valve train.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 12:26pm

Thank a lot guys. I will try to give it a spin with the drill. I am also looking into an oil analysis lab. There are a couple in the area that might be worth it.

If I feel resistance on the pump but the pressure relief valve is stuck how will i know if the pump is working properly if the pressure gauge still reads zero? Will I be able to hear oil spraying or can I pull something off to watch the flow of oil?

Get another oil filter and put it on the engine empty, then spin the pump and if there's flow, the filter will have oil in it when you take it off. Less messy this way

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 12:29pm
KENO's way is better. I like the oil filter method. I'm gonna have to remember that one...
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 12:31pm
Cam,
Keep in mind the pump runs at 1/2 engine RPM's so don't be afraid of cranking up that drill to max. The typical 1/2" battery drill driver runs at 1800 max.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 10:30pm
So I tried the long 5/16 drive and drill trick. Full speed on just a regular 20v drill there is no resistance at all. A couple times I could hear the oil pump drive shaft pull up a little bit and “Tink”drop back down when I was pulling the socket out. I know This is normal and this meant I was fully engaged on the hex with the socket.

Seems like the oil pump is toast. I’ll hopefully drop off an oil sample tomorrow and then I’ll know if it’s going to be a full rebuild time. Sounds like 750 hours “is nothing” to most of you guys...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 10:39pm
Keep those fingers crossed

And............don't buy a high volume oil pump
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 12:50am
750 hours is nothing, but then again hours don't tell the story. Well maintained since new, 2,000 hours can be "nothing". Poorly maintained, 750 can be a lot of hours. What is your boat, how long have you owned it?

Hoping this works out for you and analysis comes back without any major flags. Not trying to do an "I told you so", I realize you are likely beating yourself up right now, but for future reference if you don't have 10 psi oil pressure, get a tow. Even if you suspect it's the gauge or sender, you can't prove that on the water.

Hoping this turns out well!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 7:07am
Uhm, don't wait for oil analysis, just yank it out.
If the oil isn't flowing, it's not going to have metallics suspended in it, too chunky.

Get it upside down as soon as practical and some rod and main caps off to get some season back.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 3:55pm
I agree with GottaSki. The oil analysis will only confirm that the engine is toast. You had too much run-time with zero oil pressure, so you just need to embrace the madness. Start sooner vs later. If it helps, I feel your pain, bro.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 4:10pm
If your pump is not picking up any oil your pick up tube has probably come loose.
Many engine shops would tack weld the pump to make sure it never came loose.

They only took time to tack weld them because they had previous failures.   Learned from mistakes method.   Pull it, fix it and enjoy the rest of your summer.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 4:43pm
It will be interesting to see if the pickup is damaged from dropping it on its pan in the past.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 5:30pm
Got the results back!

WEAR NOT ALARMING!

looks like i got very lucky and just need an oil pump? maybe the pickup fell off?

I will be pulling the motor in a couple hours.

let me know what you guys think.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 5:36pm
excessive fuel maybe because of idling seems possible as i was coming out of a 5 mile long no wake zone! so i was a idle speed for around 10 miles before this.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 6:03pm
A little hard for me to read, any chance you could get a better scan or post a picture?

Just a lot of idling shouldn't put unusual amounts of fuel in the oil.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 6:05pm
As been said, in this case oil analysis reports you can reuse the oil, not necessarily reuse the engine.. best look at some bearings when you have it's skirt up.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 6:10pm

camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 9:42pm
Oil pump drive shaft is broke in two just above where it goes into the pump. The pump looks and seems to function fine.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 10:57pm
If the engine needs to be rebuilt, and I instead risk it and just throw a new oil pump on. How much more damage could I do to the motor than there potentially already is?
Could I risk it for the fourth and maybe a few more weekends as long as I stay on small lakes where I know I can get a tow if I need it?

For me the risk of putting the motor back in and having to take it out again in a few weeks really is not a big deal as I have access to a Crain at work and I can have it back in and out in a couple hours. I just don’t know if I could mess anything else up while I’m risking it...

Maybe there is a few things I could inspect while I have the motor in my barn without getting to deep into the rebuild???

Thanks again guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 11:02pm
As long as you'll be into the oil pan, maybe pull a couple caps off the crank and take a look at the bearings. Throw some Plastigauge in and see what's up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 11:07pm
Cam,
Something caused that pump shaft to break. Take a very close look at the pump and look in the pan for any evidence.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 12:56am
Pete I don't think our mikes are on

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 8:09am

If the engine needs to be rebuilt, and I instead risk it and just throw a new oil pump on. How much more damage could I do to the motor than there potentially already is?
Could I risk it for the fourth and maybe a few more weekends as long as I stay on small lakes where I know I can get a tow if I need it?

For me the risk of putting the motor back in and having to take it out again in a few weeks really is not a big deal as I have access to a Crain at work and I can have it back in and out in a couple hours. I just don’t know if I could mess anything else up while I’m risking it...

Maybe there is a few things I could inspect while I have the motor in my barn without getting to deep into the rebuild???

Thanks again guys.

Welcome to the backyard hackers club

With you knowing that it may or may not work out for you, I think i'd do just what you're thinking, based on your description of what happened and the short time frame it was running. From your description it didn't start clacking away sounding like an old Singer sewing machine, although the 2000 rpm period of running might be a little worrisome.

Check a bearing or 2 to see what they look like if you want. if they look good, then continue on

New pump for sure and make sure you get the oil pump driveshaft in with the little retaining clip in the right position (at the end away from the pump), clean the suction line and strainer and slap it back together.

I had a somewhat similar situation once with let's call it an "on the fly oil change" due to an oil cooler line break. Fixed the line and finished the oil change, fired it up and it ran good for the next handful of years. Cleaning the bilge out wasn't much fun though.

Is it the textbook perfect solution? Hell no, but you'll know pretty quickly if you're gonna be OK.

And..............quit calling that engine a gt40 if this is your Hydrodyne. Your old posts say this is a protec converted to a carburetor and DUI distributor   

Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic