Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Winterization Practices?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Winterization Practices?
    Posted: October-01-2006 at 7:04am
Hey Gang-

The lake just hit 60 degrees so sadly yesterday was our last ski.

I have been reading about winterization and I'm not sure which route is the best.

I think removing all the gas and running the engine dry may be better than adding stabilizer. Is that correct?

DIM sells a anit-freeze flushing kit. Is it worth the ca$h?

Any other winterizing products which you guys prefer?

Thanks-
NM with 78'SN

Nautique Mike
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 8:58am
Hi Mike. I'm just a newbie on the forum... but my understanding is that it's better to keep the fuel tank full and add stabil. Not sure why but I believe that is the consensus. Maybe it helps avoid corrosion the the system.

As far as anti-freeze goes... you can connect a short length of hose at your raw-water intake... stick the other end in a 5-gal bucket of antifreeze and suck it up that way. I believe you need to have the engine up to temp "so the stat is open" before you do that.

Also... be sure to use some fogging oil thru the carb.

Wash, wax, and protect the exterior and interior. Be aware of moisture issues when you cover for the lay up.

HTH... and remember I'm just learning this stuff. I'm sure others will let you know if my advice is no good.

Cheers... we're heading out for a late season session this afternoon. Just got the drysuit out of storage this morning. Getting pretty chilly here in mid-michigan.

Joe
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 10:16am
joe extra bit of insurance: drain the block and manidolds(after warm) at the petcocks or plugs, if nothing comes out then poke a paperclip up in there to unclog any sediment then use your bio antifreeze
"the things you own will start to own you"
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 5:42pm
search on winterize and you'll find lots of advice....
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 3:24pm
Gas tank full minimizes how much air can get into the tank which will limit the condensation/water from being in your fuel. Full tank w/ stabiilzer is better. Make sure your run the boat with the fuel stabilizer to get it into the carb/injectors. Better yet, if you have a fuel shutoff, run it dry to prevent gumming up of the fuel pump screen and carb/injectors. Don't forget to stuff some rags in your transom exhaust ports to prevent the rodents from making a cozy nest in your exhaust lines. If you can jack the trailer and place it on blocks it will prevent flat spots on your tires next spring.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 4:10pm
also, if you can find desacant pebbles for air compressors, put a coffee can full (in the can)put on a piece of card board so you wont get a rustline on your carpet, use in the boat to soak up condensation, it eliminates mold on the interior.
I always fill my trans to the very top with oil to eliminate condensation build up and a rust line in the trans, simply drain it in the spring and re fill with fresh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 6:58pm
Hey Gang-

Thanks for the replys and tips. I would like to take the gas tank out this winter to work on the boat.

Which would be a better way to store the motor? I have a gas shut off just before the fuel filter.

A: Run the motor with stabilizer in it and then shut the valve (leaving some in the motor)? Or.....

B: Shut valve and run dry w/o stabiizer.

I am a little unsure which anti freeze method will work the best. It gets wicked cold here sometimes -40f for days and I'm storing it in a barn w/o heat.

My neighbor just fills his system w/ anti freeze but he has an insulated garage. I'm thinking I should go the full route with the 60/40 mix w/ water. Or somthing better?

Also- some places I've read mention spraying down the exterior of the motor with silicone lubricant to keep rust @ bay. Thoughts?

Thanks-
NM
Nautique Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 7:27pm
its going to be hard to run the carb out of gas since you have to fog the engine and antifreeze it, you better find some 100 below antifreeze, i use quick silver with corrossion additives, ask your marine supply store or you can use rv antifreeze. i guess when your all done use a stabilizer and then pump the carb dry with the shiftlever all the gas will go down the intake while your pumping the carb throw in some fogger or pull the plugs and spray it in . if your using automotive antifreeze read the directions on the mix for the best results for your temp range. alot of service manuals tell you to just drain the engine and your done. the antifreeze is really there for corrossion protection so be sure you use antifreeze with these additives or it is pointless of putting it in.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 1:34pm
ok, this year i want to go the antifreeze route. but i cant fiqure out a way to do fogging and antifreeze. doesnt seem that i could get both done.

comments

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 2:25pm
what came first the chicken or the egg, i think you'll have to pull the plugs and squirt it in when your all done
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

what came first the chicken or the egg, i think you'll have to pull the plugs and squirt it in when your all done

thats the type of response i was looking for. thanks eric
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Why wouldnt he be able to fog the motor (without pulling the plugs) and fill the block with antifreeze?
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 3:20pm

Why wouldnt he be able to fog the motor (without pulling the plugs) and fill the block with antifreeze? [/QUOTE]

Yep, Fog the intake first
     Drain the block and trans cooler
     Fill with antifreeze
     Fog plugs

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 3:20pm
tr, your making this difficult, it is a dilema. i guess it depends on what method you use putting the antifreeze in the engine. its easy on merc stuff, i run the drive in a horse feeding tank filled with antifreeze then spray in the fogger until it kills the engine.with the inboards its tuff
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 10:12am
For anyone with fuel injected engines. Fuel stabilizer is not really that important. Why you ask? The fuel is in a closed system all the way to the tip of the injectors. Conseqeuntly, the fuel cannot evaporate and leave the varnish behind as it does in carbs. However, the stabilizer will help keep the fuel a bit fresher for the first spring run.

I simply warm and fog the engine, drain the block, manifolds, heat exchanger, and "U" pipe. Reinstall block drain plugs and Anti-knock sensor. Remove the upper hose from the RWP and elevate over the thermostat. Then, I pour in RV anti-freeze until the engine will take no more. Remove RWP and put impellar on shelf. Loosen alternator belt. Done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 10:32am
david, beautifully put, short and sweet
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 10:33am
pulling the hoses is a real knuckle buster, but yep you can do it that way too
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 11:38pm
David F. has got it right, in my opinion. Don't skip fogging and just spray in the spark plug holes, its not the same, be sure to fog the engine while running.

I really believe in using stabilizer whether you run it dry or not, or leave the tank full or not. There will be some gas left somewhere in the system that you want to keep fresh, and it costs maybe 50 cents to stabilize a tank of fuel so why not just do it.

Lots of people don't bother to remove the pump impeller, that's a mistake, pull the impeller unless you plan to replace it every year or two.

Just my 2 cents.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 2:29pm
Guys-

Just figured out that if you have a PSS shaft seal you should remove and cap the cooling hose. This keeps the anti-freeze from sneeking out the shaft seal. I also thought it wouldn't hurt to loosen the tention off the rubber seal while in storage.

Thanks for the advice.
NM
Nautique Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 3:03pm
Guys-

Ome more thing... Do I need to drain the water cooled area of the transmision and add antifreeze? I have not seen any note of it in any of the readings.

Thanks
NM
Nautique Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 6:07pm
nope, the cooler is the first thing usually after the sea strainer, if you are running the antifreeze in by running the engine it will catch the cooler too. alot of times there will be a 1/8 npt fitting on it to drain it. if you are pouring thru the hoses you can pop the fitting if you would like and get the water out of it
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 9:07am
Oh yes, the sea strainer. Do not forget to empty the water from the strainer bowl.
2fat2ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2fat2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:54pm
Don't forget the shower and heater too! If you have that equipment, you'll need to run antifreeze thru them too. Every spring, I replace at least a couple heater cores from winter bursting. Remove both hoses from the engine, put 1 in the bilge and blow air into the other. This will get any water out of the heater core. Reattach them and run your antifreeze thru the system. If your filling manually, I put a funnel in 1 hose and pour antifreeze until it comes out of the other. Then I reattach the hoses. For the shower, I open the hot and cold valves, turn on the pump and wait for a/f to come out. This protects the pump, impeller and all of the lines. Hope this helps. Dan
Certified Correct Craft and PCM technician
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 1:22pm
dan, is that you??? i didnt think you were tht fat......   eric
2fat2ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2fat2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 8:46am
yeah, it's me. Wife's cooking this summer got the best of me. I make a better driver than skier right now!
Certified Correct Craft and PCM technician
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 5:05pm
David....that is almost the exact same method i have come to use over the years!...I take off the thermostat housing, and pour the antifreeze directly into the engine and down the hoses to the manifolds. I replace the thermostat every two years or so, and always put antiseize on the housing bolts. Places around here are charging b/n 200 and 300 to winterize! That is almost the cost of a new prop every year!

ernest
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 3:50pm
David F, I will be helping a buddy winterize his '98 Mercruiser, which probably has a knock sensor but not sure. Should this be removed before the fogging begins? I am guessing just unscrew it from the head and leave it dangle. Will unplugging it cause problems?

Also, will the exchanger do a good enough job draining itself of the water by just taking off the hoses? I think I will run a little antifreeze through to be sure.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 4:20pm
Usually the knock sensors are placed in the block drain hole on one side or the other. However, not sure about the Merc. It is not necessary to remove the knock sensor to fog, but you should fog after you filled the tank with fuel stabilizer. This way, the stabilized fuel makes its way to the carb/injectors as you are warming the engine while fogging and opening up the t-stat. (with injected engines, the fuel gets to the injectors very quickly due to the return line and the excess fuel being pumped).

When engine warm and fogged, shut it down for good. Remove the block drains, U-pipe drain (if Merc has one) and exchanger drain (or remove bottom hose to exchanger), and exhaust manifold drains. Reinstall the block drains and fill the block with antifreeze via the RWP outlet hose turned up high.

Sorry for re-hashing and being long winded, but to answer your question directly, no harm in running (no load) with the knock sensor disconnected (might get a fault code posted if fuel injected). A sensor in the head might be the temperature switch or sensor.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:07pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I've never had to deal with knock sensors. I did a quick search and saw an article that said it was on a head. I will leave them in if he's got 'em.

Yes it's fuel injected.

How can you be sure that the t-stat stays open while you're pouring antifreeze? I suppose you can look in the exhaust but that's not very accurate. Not even sure if there's enough head pressure in the hose pouring by hand to get through the manifolds if it was closed. You'd probably fill up right away no?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:16pm
Can't leave the knock sensor in if it doubles as a drain plug...well at least not while draining out the water.

T-stat will stay open long enough to give you time to fill the block up.

I am really not familiar with IO boats at all, so things will be a bit different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic