NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing - Honda Pilot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:28pm
I'm pretty sure Coors and Miller are owned by foreign companies now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:59pm
Quinner, theres been some bashing on both sides.

Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

I look at foriegn cars like capri pants, they're fine if you're a girl, but if you're a guy...

I dont think that the people here who buy foriegn vehicles are trying to justify their inferior purchases like youre implying. I think there are many who have owned both and are simply voicing their opinions. Personally Ive only owned Nissans. I bought my current Maxima because I wanted a V6 5 speed car that I could afford the insurance on (ie not a sports car). The fact that it is good in the snow, gets nearly 30 MPG and has required nothing other than routine maintenance (now with 245,000 miles) is a bonus.

Maybe my expectations are set pretty high, but based on what Ive seen and read, Ill stick with Japanese vehicles for now. Not that I wouldnt love to have a Vette or Super Duty as a second or 3rd vehicle!
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:13pm
I would like to make a couple of coments on this subject for all who think that the japanese vehicles are so great. 1)Initial cost of a japanese vehicle I believe is generally higher than a comparable US vehicle. 2) Most people that I know have a tendency to trade their vehicles every 3-4 years (50-60,000 miles). 3)Most vehicles that I have been involved with (US), (Japanese),(Korean), (German), have few problems during the Warranty Period, and literally none that aren't covered by a good Warranty. So the real issue for most people is what is perceived to be desirable, How about all of the people over the last 8-10 years that just had to have a 4WD SUV because of image, how many were actually used as designed? Just wait until you get that Toyota or Honda well up into the 150-250,000 mile range and have to start replacing parts, you will see a HUGE Difference in what it costs to repair it. I own Chrysler, Ford, GM, and have been a professional mechanic for many years, I have also worked on Many Japanese cars and trucks,(yes they break also), I will tell you that from My experience I would Much rather work on the American Designed Vehicle. Toyota and Honda are indeed well engineered quality vehicles that have earned their place at the top of the American market, I also believe that US Vehicles are in Fact Comparible and Competitive, and in some respects Superior to what comes from Japan (read that as Any Tow Vehicle). Now think ahead to what life will be like with No Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicles on the market, I bet our Japanese friends will be much less likely to sell us what we need to tow our Cla$$ic Boats.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:21pm
I will give you that foreign parts are more expensive. The nice thing is that they last a lot longer. I havent put a dime into my car over the last 2 years other than regular oil changes and brake pads.

Originally posted by MY70/81 MY70/81 wrote:

Now think ahead to what life will be like with No Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicles on the market, I bet our Japanese friends will be much less likely to sell us what we need to tow our Cla$$ic Boats.

Since the mark up on light trucks is the highest of any pa$$enger vehicle, Im sure the Japanese (or whoever else) would be glad to sell us as many as we want to buy- especially if the Big 3 were out of the picture.
Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:39pm
Foreign car companies throw the word truck around awfully lightly as some one pointed out earlier. This is how I see it, if you want to pull a waverrunner, dirtbike, or your son/daughter's Barbi's Magic Mansion, get a Pilot or some other foreign "truck"/SUV, if you are going to pull a boat heavier than a canoe get something that can do it right and with out any doubts to safety. You can bet your a$$ I wouldn't pull my boat with something I had to ask you guys about buying. As the old saying goes, better safe than in a Honda... or something like that.
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'm pretty sure Coors and Miller are owned by foreign companies now.

Yet another reason to drink Busch Light.
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by wrote:

I'd rather see my sister in a whore house than my brother on a Honda.
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:51am
TRBenj, I have a Dodge that I put 25,000 mi per year on, it now has 120,000 mi on it and I have done a tune up, oil ghanges, trans service and tires, that is all. Like I said in my last post, most people don't keep vehicles long enough that any good warranty won't take care of their problems, so for those like myself that do, the US vehicles are much cheaper to keep. And just what does any manufacturer other than US offer for anything more than a 1/2 ton pick up? If you have anything more to tow than a boat, and you need to haul more than a few bags of groceries around, what is your Nissan Titan, or Toyota Tundra going to do when it is hooked up to a 12,000 lb 5th wheel and located in Colorado? I think that most of it's light duty drivetrain components will be scattered along the highway.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:04am

And just what does any manufacturer other than US offer for anything more than a 1/2 ton pick up? If you have anything more to tow than a boat, and you need to haul more than a few bags of groceries around, what is your Nissan Titan, or Toyota Tundra going to do when it is hooked up to a 12,000 lb 5th wheel and located in Colorado? I think that most of it's light duty drivetrain components will be scattered along the highway.

Amen brother. And for the trendy car buyers that trade in their vehicles every 2 years, you don't deserve fair resale anyway. TRB, I bet that maxima really pulls that boat out of the water. If you ever need a tow, gimme ring, I'll drop the tailgate and we can just toss her in the back.

~Proud driver of a 1 ton deisel.
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:21am

What is your Nissan Titan, or Toyota Tundra going to do when it is hooked up to a 12,000 lb 5th wheel and located in Colorado? I think that most of it's light duty drivetrain components will be scattered along the highway.

Excellent point. I agree that there is nothing currently offered to compete with the heavy duty American trucks. Id love to own one, but it just doesnt fit my needs. Supposedly the new Tundra will offer a heavy duty lineup- we shall see.

Feelgood, I appreciate the offer. Towing duty is currently handled by an '01 Pathfinder. It may not have the power of a 1 ton diesel, but it handles some pretty nasty ramps and driveways just fine. It also got nearly 15 mpg coming back 950 miles from Chicago, which isnt too shabby.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:30am
You know, the manufacturers themselves might not be as divided as the acutal car owners on the foreign/domestic topic- How about these collaborative efforts over the years:

Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe
Honda Pa$$port/Izuzu Rodeo
Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest
Ford Explorer/Mazda Navajo
Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Plymoth Laser

Did I miss any? There are probably many more.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:32am
There's the S10/Hombre? (I know it's Isuzu)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

There's the S10/Hombre? (I know it's Isuzu)

I don't know at what point GM acquired Izuzu- I left out the cross-brand vehicles under the same parent company. Although, I believe Ford owns Mazda, so ignore that.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:59am
New United Motors in Fremont, CA. Toyota and GM I believe. Make a car which is badged by both. Also make small Toyota pickups a the plant. This was a rennovated Ford plant which shut down in the 70s. BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:13am
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

New United Motors in Fremont, CA. Toyota and GM I believe. Make a car which is badged by both. Also make small Toyota pickups a the plant. This was a rennovated Ford plant which shut down in the 70s. BKH

That would be the Vibe/Matrix. Completely lame car designed 100% by a marketing team, but interesting brand collaboration. Nice high-revving 4 banger from the Celica though.
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:26am
M3Fan,
The Honda Odyssey and Isuzu Oasis were the same… The two companies had an agreement to build the cars for each other. At the time, Honda built the Oasis for Isuzu because Isuzu didn’t have a mini-van and Isuzu built the Pa$$port for Honda because Honda didn’t have an SUV…

Feelgood,
I don’t think Tim ever suggested he tows his boat with the Maxima. He simply stated he enjoys owning a car he doesn’t have to continuously sink money into.

MY70/81
And I’m sure if Tim had a 5th wheel in Colorado he’d purchase something that could handle the load. And I think Tim would agree that there isn’t currently anything the imports offer that could measure up to an American HD pick-up or full-size SUV.

I couldn’t agree more with you guys… If I had the money and bought a new 236 or 210 I’d NEVER try to pull it with anything but a HD pick up or big SUV. Like I said, the imports just don’t have anything to measure up to what the domestic manufacturers offer in that cla$$ of vehicle.

Again, I think one’s decision on a tow vehicle has to be weighed against their needs.

Rob,

It was actually Boating Life… I found it yesterday, but forgot to bring it with me today so I can’t tell you what issue. It isn’t that old though and may still be on the stands. I’ll remember it next time I’m online…

Honda’s website lists the weight of the 4WD Pilot EX at 4497. With the transmission and power steering coolers it is rated to tow 4500 lbs.

You said your boat and trailer figured around 4Klbs… While you are within the towing capacity, you might not want to strain the engine and transmission if you’re going to be doing a lot of towing.

Towing 4000lbs with a Pilot, to me, is cutting things too close. And if you’re going to have your family in the car you might want the added security and stability of a bigger vehicle. Maybe the Pilot isn’t the right vehicle for you.

If you have an ‘in’ at the dealer and want to go Honda try the Ridgeline. I originally looked at that, but the dealer got me in the Pilot for less money than a Ridgeline.

In my case…
I’ll be towing 1 mile to the ramp and 1 mile back…

Given the weight of the 66 and trailer, I knew I wouldn’t be towing too much weight too often so I didn’t need a heavy-duty truck or full-size SUV.

Knowing I’d be looking for a 176 in the future, I checked the weight of the 176 and added a reasonable amount for the trailer and fuel and I’m around the 3,000 lb mark. Well within the 4,500 lb towing capacity of the Pilot.

If I were towing more weight or towing hundreds of miles every weekend I’d have absolutely looked for something beefier, but for my needs the Pilot will work for me.

I have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of the picture and post it... My boss used to tow his 21 foot Sunbird with an Isuzu Samurai. Now THAT was crazy!!!

todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:37am
rleinen79,

What did you decided to do ? Is there a new Pilot in your driveway ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:51am
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

In my case…
I’ll be towing 1 mile to the ramp and 1 mile back…

If that is the situation,
Why not buy an old beater p/u with a solid engine for a few grand.....and get whatever you want for a daily driver?

That's what I did,ended up buying an '86 silverado,it costs nothing to insure, and it really comes in handy for all kinds of projects.....then I got an Infiniti G35 Coupe to haul a$$ around town in.   
Life is Good.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

If that is the situation,
Why not buy an old beater p/u with a solid engine for a few grand.....and get whatever you want for a daily driver?

That would be an ideal situation. The problem with owning another vehicle is that its one more thing to maintain, store and insure. Some people need one vehicle that can do everything.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

That would be the Vibe/Matrix. Completely lame car designed 100% by a marketing team, but interesting brand collaboration. Nice high-revving 4 banger from the Celica though.

It was once the Toyota Corolla and it's American branded equivalent (whatever that was). A very popular selling car. I knew the line had been retooled, but didn't know what the line was. I a$$ume you are correct about the vibe/matrix. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

Feelgood,
I don’t think Tim ever suggested he tows his boat with the Maxima. He simply stated he enjoys owning a car he doesn’t have to continuously sink money into.

Yeah, I know... internet posts convey sarcasm like maximas pull CCs. If you maintain any vehicle you don't need to sink a dime into it. I can bust up a foreign vehicle just as quickly as an american vehicle if I don't maintain either one. This "foreign vehicles last forever" mentality came from people who are too lazy to change their own oil on time.   I'm done griping on this topic though.

Sooooooo, I am interested to know what he bought though and how it works out.
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:28pm
interesting article on unreliable luxury cars

artical

Ken
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

rleinen79,

What did you decided to do ? Is there a new Pilot in your driveway ?

No Pilot yet. I think we're going to hold off and see if we can find something different. There's nothing wrong with our Explorer, it just so happened that I was offered a great deal on an 07 Pilot, so it was worth looking into. I thought about a Ridgeline, but I personally hate the way they look. Lots of cool features, but you still have to look at it.

I definitely didn't think this post would generate this much response. Just to make it known, I'm not against American cars at all. Our last 3 "tow vehicles" have been a 95 Grand Cherokee, 99 Explorer, and the current 02 Explorer. Car wise, 01 Civic, 04 Jetta, 06 Accord.

Thanks for the help.

Rob
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:00pm
the reason foreign cars have a higher resale is because to many people are willing to over pay for a used car.

A car is a mechanical machine it's hole purpose in life is to destroy itself. A car with 70,000 miles on it needs brakes, tires, shocks, and fron end work. No matter what brand. A foreign car also will cost you more to replace these parts then a domestic car. So tell me who the smart one is a guy buying a used taurus with 70k for $8,000. or a guy buying a camry with 70k for $12,000. they both need the same parts replaced at the same intervals. Especially in michigan. Not mention everyone says foreign cars last longer, if this is true why buy new every 2-4 years. When you can buy a big ford or chevy and keep it for 10 years or more.

perfect example 1979 F-250 4X4 rust free, bet you can't find one for under $10,000. resale on that truck is more then it was new. Find me an import with that kind of resale value. More importantly find me a 27 year old jap car you would want to own.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:03pm
Chevy 1500 Silverado 5.7 350.1989 model with 203,000 miles on her .Easy to work on ,parts are easy to find & put on.It's my daily drive as well & tows like a beast.I plan on getting 300,000 miles on her original motor & tranny. I also have an Acura Integra.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:09pm
I agree on the Ridgeline- I think it looks hideous.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 6:59pm
M3fan I believe you ar ewrong about miller being foreign owned I believe as miller lite is the only union made beer. If it were not union made it would not be served at our UAW sponsored events.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

M3fan I believe you ar ewrong about miller being foreign owned I believe as miller lite is the only union made beer. If it were not union made it would not be served at our UAW sponsored events.

Miller Sold
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:16pm
I seem to sense that some of the people on this site have costs of vehicles in mind when it comes time to purchase one. So let me extend a helping hand to anyone here wanting to buy a ford product. I am willing to give my x-plan to anyone here. Can't tell you exactly what the saving would be on each var but I bet it's better than the best deal you can make with the dealer on any new ford. You will still get and incentives that ford offers along with the X-plan.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:19pm
thanks for the info M3fan have to get a hold of the union rep and find a new beer to be served. Most likely have to switch to bud, not union made but better then foreign owned. Don't tell me they sold out to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic