NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing - Honda Pilot

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing - Honda Pilot
    Posted: October-24-2006 at 2:59pm
OK, here's my situation. We currently tow our 97 SNOB with a 2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 v-6. The boat sits on a new tandem axle trailer with brakes. I don't think the Explorer does all that well towing it, and it get's horrible gas mileage with boat in tow (9-10 mpg). The wife has been on me forever to trade it in and get a Honda Pilot. The problem is, the Pilot is only rated to tow 4500 lbs. I think the boat and trailer combination is under that weight, just not by very much. Ideally, I'd love to step up into an Expedition, or Yukon, but with gas the way it is, smaller is better. The local Honda dealer, who is a friend of the family, has a great deal going on Pilots right now. Does anyone on here tow anything with a Pilot? Let me know, as this is obviously a huge consideration in a new vehicle purchase.

Thanks
Rob
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:04pm
Don't discount the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Yukon XL. My 2000 Yukon XL with the 327 (I think that's a 5.3 liter) gets 17 mpg around town, 13-14 if towing the boat, and if I drive it 60-65 on the highway, I can approach 20mpg. It has 130K miles on it, and I've never had a problem. Oil changes, standard tuneup at 90K, tires, and get this, brakes on rear only at 120K.

I too have been looking at a Pilot for the wife (new kid, and she wants something smaller than the Yukon XL). However, I doubt I will ever tow anything with it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:05pm
I don't know your current situation, but I'd get that boat fixed up right before messing around with tow vehicles.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I don't know your current situation, but I'd get that boat fixed up right before messing around with tow vehicles.

Boat is being fixed over the winter. It'll be ready to go in the spring!

Rob
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:30pm
Rob,

The Pilot is a unibody vehicle, like most cars today. It's also a front-drive platform (sending power to the rear optionally with a 4WD system). It also has independant rear suspension, which although catching on in most SUV designs is not generally preferred for towing. Basically it is a heavy-duty car, not a truck. My in-laws really wanted this car as well, and would be towing their Sea Ray with it. They compared it to the 4Runner, which is a real body-on-frame truck with truck-grade components and solid rear axle. They ended up going with the 4Runner, so now the inlaws and I both have matching 2006 4Runner V8s. I get 13-15MPG towing and 19-21 hwy and the V8 tows with a vengance. It also offers an excellent ride and carlike handling. If you are looking at any mid-size SUV in that price range, get over to Toyota and take a look! Your rig will kill a Pilot/MDX over time, IMO.

EDIT: Heck, just take mine for a spin around the block this weekend.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:38pm
Rob I would say tune-up the tow vehicle, change the tranny filter, drive in over-drive while towing and stay away from the Pilot as a tow vehicle it's just not going to cut it. Go with a used late model full size truck/SUV if you want more space or power but 10-15 mph towing is all your going to get at best. using premium gas and setting the tire pressue at 95-100% of the maximum rated level on all eight wheels helps out.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:45pm
"smaller is better."
not entirely

Not enough ma$$ nor wheelbase.

I concur with bkhallpa$$

my wife's 2000 Sierra extracab SB with the 4.8 v8 gets 21 mpg highway repeatedly. over 255 hp
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:49pm
what is everyone's appeal to foriegn cars and trucks. Doesn't anyone like Ford or chevy anymore. Sorry if it offended anybody, factory/UAW worker mantality kicked in.

If your looking to keep the best tow vehicle possible, sometimes you have to pay for it in other areas. Fuel economy is one of them. 2005 F-350 four door 4X4 desiel gets 18 towing the BFN single axle trailer running 75MPH. What more could you ask for.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:10pm
I agree the Pilot won't do the job very long.
Unless you get a boat storage close to the lake,then it might do you ok.

Munday

02 Avalanche does the job very well!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:13pm
I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car, it especially fries my a$$ when I see one with an american flag bumper sticker! I also am Sorry if I offended anyone, just something that I have always felt strongly about.
BTW, on my 3rd Suburban, same experience as BKH, the 2500 was the best to tow with though.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car

I like the GM full-size SUVs a lot, but they are just too huge of a car for me. If there was a good american mid-size SUV out there I'd seriously consider it, but the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada/Ascender platform is pretty sub-par and the Explorer doesn't do it for me either, sorry. America makes awesome full-sizers, but that's about where it ends for me.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

what is everyone's appeal to foriegn cars and trucks. Doesn't anyone like Ford or chevy anymore. Sorry if it offended anybody, factory/UAW worker mantality kicked in.

No offense here, 87BFN owner. I currently own a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8, AWD. More than likely, I'm going to sell it in the spring. I'm torn between another Mountaineer, Ford F150 or GMC Sierra. Ford has never given me any issues. My Dad sold his Chevy 2500, which had 189K miles and ran like a top. That's my .02.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:29pm

I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car, it especially fries my a$$ when I see one with an american flag bumper sticker!

A lot of "foriegn" cars are built right here in the US, and there are a lot of American cars that are a$$embled in Mexico and Canada.

Id love to support the American car companies, but I refuse to spend my hard earned money on substandard products. The only market that we still dominate is in full size trucks- and that gap is closing quickly with the introduction of the Titan and Tundra.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:39pm
Before we get too off the course, like I said in the original post, the owner of the Honda dealer here is a long time friend of the family, and my wife has always loved the Pilots. He's always sold us cars at invoice, which is why I'd love for a Pilot to work. We don't tow more that 40 miles or so more than 2 or 3 times a year.

I have no problem with domestic vehicles.....except that the resale value traditionally sucks. When we bought our explorer, it was 2 years old. Fully loaded Eddie Bauer, 25000 miles. Original window sticker was $43,415. My price? $17900. Great to go domestic when buying 2 years old. Not so much when looking to go new and trade in 3 or 4 years.

Like TRBenj, I'd love to have 2 american cars, but when you get into a malibu, and then get into an accord or camry, or even an altima, it seems like the malibu should be half the price of the others.

Rob
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:42pm
Just went through the same dilema back in May. Had a 2000 Montero Sport 4x4 that absolutley sucked at towing my boat. Looked at all the imports and midsize SUV's........ ended up buying the 2007 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with the 320hp 5.3L motor. It's my wifes daily driver around town, and my tow vehicle for the lake outings. She got use to the larger size rather quickly and loves it.

You will be sorry if you don't get something that can handle the towing effectively and safely.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:00pm
well to answer your question about foriegn cars being made in the USA, they are not made here they are a$$embled here.

Just point out to me exactly how much Honda, Toyota, KIA, Nizzan, and any other foriegn car company pay in income tz=xes to the US government. $0 that's how much because all their proffits go back to Japan, just remember that when you apply for social securty someday. Then ask yourself why you don't get any after supporting forieng cars all those years.

The other thing that people fall to realize is the big three invented the middle cla$$, when the big three lays-off workers so does everyone else. Which means no matter what you do when we feel the pinch so does everyone else, from the housing market to the guy at the gas station. Not trying to upset any or talk politics just the way of life.

Oh yeah by the way I work for ford and refuse to buy any of their vehicles made outside the US. That's why I have an F-150, F-350 and a Focus for my wife to drive.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:06pm
I also heard that the Honda Pilot was based on the Honda Oddessy minivan chasis....... Maybe the Hoonda Ridgeline might suit you better, since your are going for dealer invoice pricing.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:12pm
Rob maybe the miss' need her own vehicle that doesn't tow the boat????

went thru this issue with the better half last night she's a big Acura/honda/import type and I come from a long line of GM retiries and have work for them my self as well. it all comes down to dollars and cents and type of car/use. To me most american cars match up will in most cla$$', compactl-mid size they don't, and their all tin cans F or D some exceptions but very few it comes down what wraper do you want on your car, to me a lot of the toyota's honda's and such, there styling sucks or it's just a copycat of something else or old and outdated designs. The main issue with American cars is the age of the work force, and the number of retired employees and the drain on cash it creates, remember most had almost as many retired employees before the forien company's even got here, so with so much up in the air and being worried about if you can retire or if there is even going to be a pension when you do, it realy doesn't motivate one to pay a lot to detail, then throw in the piss bore managers and the gready union hounds that abuse the system and take and don't give a full days work in return what does one expect. To me the day of the union has came and gone and they need to change with the times but haven't. Hell I know guys that should have got fired years ago but they are still working, any other place they would be out on their can.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car

I like the GM full-size SUVs a lot, but they are just too huge of a car for me. If there was a good american mid-size SUV out there I'd seriously consider it, but the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada/Ascender platform is pretty sub-par and the Explorer doesn't do it for me either, sorry. America makes awesome full-sizers, but that's about where it ends for me.

My Yukon XL actually gets just as good of mileage as the midsize chevies. The midsizes do even worse when towing because the small engines have to work so hard. So much more room - Saw no sense in buying smaller. The Tahoe/Yukon are really no longer than most of the midsizes. They are taller and roomier inside. I'm considering a pilot or Tahoe only because the wife uses the car around town, etc. and it's easier to park.

My XL actually gets better mileage than my old 4 Runner.

I have a 2500 chevy pickup as well, and I agree with quinner, that it is a little better for towing than my Yukon XL 1500. However, the 1500 gets much better mileage and is much better. Given that only a small fraction of time is spent towing, I find the 1500 to be more than sufficient. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:00pm
not all union members abuse the system, some like myself actually goto work and put in a full days work. Infact I work what ever overtime I can.

One more thing to remember, when the unions take a pay cut so does the rest of the US. other businesses see ford and Gm employees making less, gues what? Must mean everyone else is too.

It's not so much the unions fault anymore. Explain to me why any exec at a company is worth multi-million dollar salary in one year. The execs say the unions need to take cut backs while they keep recieving bonuses for running companies into the ground.

Look at Enron that was just plain corprate greed, look what happened to it's employees. I really feel for those guys. Couple of greedy execs ruined all those peoples retirements and futures.
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:01pm
Rob,

I think it was Boating World just had an article on a couple of tow vehicles, one of which was the Pilot. As I recall, they tested a 2WD model and had some nice things to say about it. If I can find the article would you be interested?

I purchased a Pilot about a month ago. (Before I saw the atricle in BW.) My previous car, an Aztek, was totaled in an accident so I had to get a new car.

There are a lot of reasons I bought a Pilot, towing was only one of the considerations in the purchase.

I don't tow very far or very often so I didn't need a big vehicle. I wanted something that could tow the 66 and maybe handle a 176 in the future. (More on that in another post!)
My commute is about 50 miles round trip so, with gas prices the way they were, I wanted something ‘good’ on gas.
While I wasn’t looking for something with a third row, the fact that the Pilot has one is a bonus.
Here in New England, I had to think about the vehicle’s ability in bad whether.
The safety options on the car – Front/Side and Curtain airbags, ABS, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Vehicle Stability a$$ist, etc… where all considerations.
Let’s face it… My wife will be driving my daughter around in it, so reliability figured in.
Plus, the fact I bought an ’06 means they took a good amount of money off the sticker and a good finance rate.

I looked at cars for a month before deciding on the Pilot. I would love to have stuck with something from an American manufacturer and I looked extensively at Ford and GMs, but nothing I looked at from them appealed to me. OK, that’s not true… I would have LOVED an ’07 Avalanche, but I just didn’t have the money!

Do I feel like Benedict Arnold because I bought a Pilot? No. The purchase I made was based on what worked best for my needs.

Good luck Rob.
Kyle

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:21pm
Rob,

Kyle makes some great points. Personally, Id be leary about towing 4000lbs behind a Pilot on a regular basis- but you may be OK in the midwest. Todicus is right, the Pilot is based on Honda's minivan cha$$is.

If I were you, Id go out and test drive several vehicles. If youre a smart shopper, you should be able to buy most any vehicle at or near invoice price (before rebates).

Like Joel, Im sold on the 4Runner.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:38pm
Great Post. I've got almost an identical situation to BKHALL. 2000 Yukon XL with 132,000 miles. 5 litre 1500 cha$$is. It feels like it could pull the Titanic. Very strong engine, great tranny. No complaints on the gas milage for what you get in reliability and performance. Unfortunately, my wife drives it day to day, and she says she's ready to downsize the vehicle. For the 1% of the time we really need the towing power, its tough to justify driving such a large vehicle. She likes the Pilot as well. I pull twice a year for a total milage of about 100 miles. So, I 'could' consider something like a Pilot or similar size. However, the XL is PAID-FOR, just like the '92SNOB, so I'll pa$$ on spending $35K right now...thank you.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 7:06pm
hondapilot.org

This site has some great info on your potential new purchase.........check out the forums section.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 8:50pm
   Rob,
If the local Honda dealer is a friend of the family,I would convince him to let you take a pilot for an extended testdrive(even if it's a used one),and tow your boat with it.You will find out quickly if it will work for you.I previously owned a 2000 Chevy Silverado with the 327,great truck-but it was a lease.When it was time to turn it in,they wanted all the money to buy it out,but didn't want to give me anything on a trade.So I turned it in and bought my father in laws 2 year old v-8 Tundra.Great truck also,However it does not have the newer enhanced v-8 and it struggles to tow the Super Air.Also being a smaller truck it seems like the boat is always in control.If you tow a lot,you will miss the full size truck-trust me.I only tow my boat 5-6 times a year for no more than 30 miles at a time,and I hate every minute of it.Good luck.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:02pm
You're not towing too much or too often the Pilot may work for you. The Ridgeline as was mentioned is another option and still keep the peace w/ your family friend.
Im another big fan of the 4Runner, my only Ford is in the boat.
Good Luck with your decision.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:03pm
Oops,just realized your coming from an Explorer,not a full size truck.

On a side note,I agree with M3Fan and TRBenj about the 4 runner.My wife buys a new rig every year(long story)and had a 4 runner a couple of years ago.It was BY FAR the nicest vehicle she has owned(did everything well) and I'm still pissed at her for trading it in!They don't give 'em away,but they are well worth it and the resale is excellent.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:37pm
Rob,

If you do go with the Pilot -and it will probably work decently, but not great- be sure to install an aftermarket trans cooler. A big one. It's an easy install and will save the poor thing as the SN drags it down.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

The midsizes do even worse when towing because the small engines have to work so hard. S
My XL actually gets better mileage than my old 4 Runner.

My 4Runner has the exact same V8 as the full-size Tundra.

My 06 4Runner V8 gets way better mileage than my 99 4Runner V6.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:56pm
Best tow vehicle I ever had, was my 1994 grand marquis (same as crown victoria) 4.6 litre v8, long wheel base, and 4 wheel disk brakes. 25mpg on the highway without the boat 19 with, and it was always felt better than my s10, explorer, or even my yukon.... Oh and that Grand Marquis had 248000 miles on it when someone hit me and totalled it, they pushed me head on into a guard rail at 75 and I walked away (actually i drove the car home but there was nothing left in front of the radiator). Lots of good vehicles mentioned here... but dont rule out a full size american car with a rear wheel drive v8 if you have been driving sport utes for a few years a crown vic is a sports car in comparison..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic