Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It was a sad weekend....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ski nau-geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It was a sad weekend....
    Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:16pm
I tucked the '80 in for the Winter....

$600 for oil change, tune-up and winterization....

It's times like this I'm mad I'm not a boat mechanic, but glad I'm a financial rep!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:13pm
Someone is really ripping you off! Winterizing is a 20 minute job for most...oil and filter = less than $15.00...plus a tad more for the fogging oil and stablizer...no one should be paying more than $100.00(and that is high).

maybe $100.00 more for a tune up.

Did someone replace any parts?

Learn to do the easy stuff yourself...there is not much to it to do what you just gave an arm for! It's a good way to know a bit more about your boat!

Let's see....
$600.00 = two nice props or a few fine dinners out or a little get away night with the wife...or or or!!!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:17pm
Ron; I don't know where you live but I bet you could get me and Stang to come there and show you how to do this and for our trouble (read-free beer) it won't cost ya 600 large.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:18pm
Thats a cakewalk my friend!
stang

The Super Air

mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:11am
I actually enjoy putting the boat away for the winter. My dad and i have done it since i can remember. He taught me when i was 12...not very hard and saves a ton of $$$!
mars
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:13am
or why don't you just fly stang or jbear to your city, pick them up from the airport, give them beer, have them do the work for you, take them back to the airport after another cold one. It would still be cheaper than you paid and you'd get to know one of the great guys from this forum.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:58am
If you live near Minnesota, I would be glad to show you how to winterize your boat. We've been doing this for twenty years and we are definitely not boat mechanics. The previous posters are right; this is not a complicated procedure. $600.00 is way too much; although perhaps this includes storage for the winter.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:27am
I'll bet that price includes winter storage ??? If not, get the airline tickets...
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:58am
I'd be happy to attend an "out of water" reunion in the fall to have someone show me the ins-and-outs of winterizing....and summerizing! I'd much rather put the $200 that I pay for winterizing, and another $100 for summerizing towards some other boat related thing. Do it on a Sunday that the Pats are playing. Maybe mid to late October (this time of year). Sort of like a working tailgating party.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:05pm
$600 for an oil change, tune up and winterization? Did that include the vaseline?
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:35pm
Wow, I'm speechless....I know the winterization part of that cost was like $295....the other $300 (for the oil change and 'tune-up')- I guess I have know idea.

Maybe they meant 'tune up' the amount they were charging me since I am (or at least WAS) clueless....

Anyway thanks for the heads up, maybe next fall, I'll at least get in touch with you guys, winterize myself, and ship you some beer!!!

how much for future reference SHOULD it cost to pay a 'professional' to do it??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:40pm
Also, so I don't get hosed AGAIN, what, within range, should it cost to get my seats reupholstered this winter and to get new carpet....

I heard about 2500 for seats and 600-1000 for carpet (should that include redoing wood if appropriate????)

....thanks for the help

PS to answer your q, the vaseline was $20....is that a good price?

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 7:01pm
ski nau-geek,
At the moment, I pay $200 to have it professionally winterized. It includes oil and tranny fluids, filters, fuel stabilizer and fogging oil. And of course all of the labor a$$cociated with the draining process. My boat spends the winter in Maine, in an unheated garage. Temps reach in the sub-zero range at least once or twice a winter. I currently pay for peace of mind. Will it be that way forever, who knows....probably until I take the initiative to learn the process myself. The byproduct of taking it to the dealer for this service is that they really get to know your boat. You become a true "customer" of theirs. This comes in handy when you call in for some support on questionable problem with the boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 7:36pm
$150-200 seems to be the going rate for engine service and winterization. Its a big money maker for the dealers since it only takes an hour or so, and $20-30 in materials.

For your '80, the interior should cost much less than $2500. I believe Alan (81Nautique) redid his last year for closer to $1k (for the vinyl). Cost to install would vary depending on how much needed repair/replacing. Search for some of Alan's posts- I think he got a quote. Carpet should cost $200-300 plus install.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 7:49pm
If you can follow what is being discussed in this thread, then take a crack (no pun intended) at winterizing your baby. If not, then cut the check for $200:
Winterizing
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:30pm
about 1750-2000 for a new interior installed, foam carpet the whole nine yards. that can very a little depending on the grade/quality of materials and source of them as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:56pm
I appreciate it guys-thanks!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:22pm
TRBenj is close with those numbers for carpet and vinyl.

Live and learn...as long as we learn! And sometimes you just have to bend over and take it like a man...Yes $20.00 for the Vaseline is a hoser too!

So...next time fly Jbear and me in...we would at least give you a cigarette afterwards!
stang

The Super Air

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:34pm
Just winterized mine yesterday. For a grand total of $16, two gallons of antifreeze. I'll add stabilizer and top off the tank this weekend. I don't fog, never have in the 16 years I've owned my boat. With the belt off the raw pump, I crank my boat about once a month and let it run for about 5 seconds. That lubes everything in the motor.
Tim D
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

...we would at least give you a cigarette afterwards!

LOL!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:38pm
still not time to winterize yet been waiting to get that one last ski ride in for the year. Been busy, I don't do it this week end. I don't think I will find two people to go with me.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:35pm
October 27, 2006, 4:30 p.m. Wakeboarding on the California Delta. Air temp 79, water temp, mid 60s. No wind. No boats. Life is good. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 8:13am
Brian,

Thanks for rubbing it in! I put my boat away last weekend, the duck blind is now out and after that when the lake freezes we bring out the hockey nets, we might have you on the last one!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 10:41am
wow..... heres what i spend......
24.00 -3 gallons of prestone
5.00- i can of fogging oil
4.00-oil filter fraM
12.00- 5 quarts of pennzoil 15w-40 oil
6.00- 2 boxes of moth balls
3.00- i bucket of charcoal
7.00-6-pack of blue moon
grande total=61.00 for winterization process+ a lil' buzz!

a complete tune up any my 94 cost me around 150-160!.............needless to say you got RAPED!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic