NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where and who do you work for

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where and who do you work for
    Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:03am
Based on the Honda Pilot towing topic, I was wondering where all the CC fans work and who they work for.

Because I think if you had direct foreign rivals alot of you would be sitting on the other side of the fence when it comes to what car or truck you buy.

Just humor me. I'll start I work at Ford Motor Co. in Michigan.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:36am
Building construction student at Virginia Tech. Went all the way through a junior of mechanical engineering prior to the switch, so I'm a quasi-engineer...

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:56am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Because I think if you had direct foreign rivals alot of you would be sitting on the other side of the fence when it comes to what car or truck you buy.

Harley Davidson technician.My decision when purchasing anything is based on more than just where it is made,which I realize is not the case for some people.I've always thought this is an interesting topic,I'll be curious to see what others say.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:59am
James,

Obviously you have very strong opinions about the American auto industry, your union, and protectionism for the American workforce. I in no way mean to belittle, or to debate your position.

I will say, simply, that I don't agree with you.

My Father was an auto mechanic and worked for American car companies all of his life. His father did the same. My maternal grandfather spent 32 years in the Navy, and another 28 years working in the Naval Shipyards.

I myself spent the early part of my career working in the defense industry, in the design and build of weapons for our military. I then became a lawyer and worked in our Federal Court amongst other a$$ignments.

For the last 13 years I've been in the computer industry, 10 spent working for one of America's largest computer companies, and 3 for an independent American distributor. In my industry, we don't face competition from a handful of foreign competitors, as does the auto industry -- We face competetion from hardware, software, and engineering firms from every developed and semi-developed country in the world.

Still, I don't agree with your position. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 7:45am
I work for myself & own a drafting service detailing architectural precast buildings. I will have to go with the american trucks (05 F150), but our cars are Volvo & BMW. There is no comparison when I take our cars or truck in for service. The foreign cars we own have the service thing down. Pull in with a bulb out & they change it & send you on your way, no charge. The treatment we get during the sell & service as well as the quality of vehicle is why we own foreign cars. No ha$$le, no problems. I had major ha$$les buying the truck just because I didn't want to use their finance options.
Greg

86 BFN
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:23am
I work in the fibergla$$ insulation industry. Forgien competition is not too great in this industry because no one wants to pay for overseas shipping cost when the majority of the product you are shipping is air.

87, I was listening to the Detroit radio station WJR (heart of the big three) the other day and they were interviewing a Toyota executive who stated that thier new pick-up has less forien content than the Ford Explorer?

I drive all GM, too many relatives work or have retired from there.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:10am
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

I was listening to the Detroit radio station WJR (heart of the big three) the other day and they were interviewing a Toyota executive who stated that thier new pick-up has less forien content than the Ford Explorer?

I drive all GM, too many relatives work or have retired from there.

That wouldn't surprise me if true. Doesn't the HD V rod have a ton of German parts?

Also a big GM fan.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:40am
Small bussiness owner(The Boat Doctor)25 years in,on,and around the boating industry.The Japs got Merc. off their butts and into building the most tech.advanced 2 strokes,very dependable to boot.I have obtained my Master level on Merc and Mercruiser,and topped out in my Yamaha schooling.I prefer BLACK motors,and Z-71 tow trucks.Also own a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.8 w/ towing package,no problem pulling the '64 up a steep ramp or stopping,i too buy what suits my needs ,but go USA...........boat dr
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:15am
I'm a National service manager - We do high speed printing and coding, printing your name on magazines, junk mail, and the dotty numbers on every product made. (Yep, born on dates too.) Also part own a pro shop.

As far as cars/trucks go, I think that the "BUY AMERICAN!" really doesn't mean as much anymore. If Ford/GM truely made a 100% American product, perhaps it would be different. I wonder if China, for instance, has the same issue. Would love to see the "BUY CHINESE!" stickers as Ford/GM are desperate to sell there.
Today I look for what I need and try to get the best value for my money, as I think that most people do. As others have brought up, it may not always be a US product. It's pretty tough for them to keep preaching that arguement. And what if I buy a Range Rover (which my wife is hooked on), do I get applauded because I "bought American"? By the way, I bought a new F150 super crew to replace my Excursion. I based the decision on a lot of factors, the ride and towing are impressive.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:23am
Wow, lots of opinions when it comes to origin of products. It comes down to whatever you like to drive and there's no right or wrong answers. Personally, I like large V8 engines and being high off the ground.

I provide solutions for companies that have security concerns and theft issues. I find out what sort of problem they're having and provide CCTV/DVR/EAS equipment. I mainly work with major retail companies, but help small business too.

Ken
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:37pm
I work for The U.S Marine Corps.(civil service).I test aircraft composite materials in a lab.at Cherry Point MCAS. We have a place at Lake Gaston N.C. it's a great place to boat.
I'm from Detriot Mi. Most of my family works for the big 3, my Dad retired from GM.
I do like a deal , but , I"M PRO-AMERICAN FIRST !!!    
Scottique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:39pm
I work for a small architectural firm; we specialize in corporate interiors.

Of course I want to support Americal companies & keep tax dollars in the country, as I suspect most Americans would. But I tow with my Nissan (Titan) for the same reason I have a Nautique: It does it's job very well, without costing me a lot of time & money dealing with repairs. I have owned American cars (Fords), and became very frustrated with the endless trips to the mechanic because something else broke. As soon as the American car companies can offer a product that has the same quality & re-sale as my Nissan, I will be happy to give them my business. In the meantime, I will be sticking with products that do what they are supposed to without breaking down evry month.
SkiLuNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLuNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:53pm
I am in the printing/stamping Business, all we do is print/stamp "Made in The USA" on lot's of different things, my biggest clients are foreign automobile manufacturers. We are doing so well we are thinking about expanding our operations into the US as well.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:04pm
I own a Screen printing and embroidery busisness, the wife and I always try to buy not just american made products but also locally made and support small businesses when we can. The major issue for most of us is the lack of choice, there are fewer and fewer products in this country that are genuinely made here.

Since our brainless leaders signed the NAFTA agreement the garment industry has lost 95% (estimate) of it's domestic manufacturing. In my office I have several hundred sample garments hanging up and I took a quick look at the tags to see where all this product comes from... here goes, in no particular order

Bangladesh, Peru, El Salvador, Pakistan,Honduras,Myanmar,mexico,china,singapore,Hong Kong,philipines,Thailand, Malaysia,ShriLanka,Dominican Republic, Macau,Cambodia, Vietnam, India .

Last but not least I was able to find one product line that comes from the USA.

Our manufacturing mills in this country are all turning into yuppie condos or shopping malls full of imported goods, we buy it all up and watch our standard of living decline while we bring the third world ino the 21st century at our expense.

I thought I'd feel better after writing this but I don't, I think I'll have beer, Corona Please. On second thought make it a MIller Lite.

PS, I own a GM car that was a$$embled in Mexico. WTF
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:55pm
Occupation - dentist. Interesting discussion about tow vehicles; American v foreign. I do very little towing anymore; boat (90 SN) is on lift all summer. We tow the boat approximately 300 miles to a resort once per year. Have used our 99 Ford Explorer (with the biggest 6 cyl) and 2002 1/2 ton Ram with 5.9L V8. Both vehicles do a great job. Obviously the Ram is better on hills. But the Explorer is more than adequate.

Regarding buying American v foreign; it sounds like most people buy what they perceive as the most bang for the buck.

Just curious; if (hypothetically speaking), Correct Craft was sold to a Japanese company, would most CC owners stay with CC for new boat purchases or would they switch to Mastercraft or another American made boat?
1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:59pm
I am a platoon sergeant with the Rakkasans of the 101st Infantry Division Airborne (AASLT). I command a Bradley Fighting Vehicle (made in the USA). My foreign rivals...no competition.

I drive a Ford, four door, dually truck.

1987 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:08pm
I am an engineer for a company that was just bought by a Japanese company. What difference does that make, as far as I can tell not much. Basically the management comes from Japan, the share holders are from all over the world. If they do a better job making decisions that keep jobs right here in my home town of Auburn NY than the old managers then they are cool with me. I design the products, americans build them, americans install them, and we all pay taxes.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
ski nau-geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:52pm
www.nmfn.com/cameroncausey

ski nau-geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:52pm
Oh yea,

Honda and Ford owner and pleased with both, no issues
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:56pm
Bill; you are my kinda guy,bet the Bradley would make one hell of a tow rig,would not have to fight for your turn at the ramp.....park the trailer where you want......and have the final word on a road rage issue,big boat has right of way.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 7:16pm
I work for a small local lumber yard. We have 17 locations in Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan. Not much in the way of foreign competition....our biggest competitors are Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot. Even though these are not foreign companies, the concept remains the same. While our "mom and pop" lumber yard isn't as cheap as your basic big box store, the quality and service are what people pay for. Enough people are willing to pay more to get more, as someone said earlier, bang for the buck. When building a house, or addition, or deck, or anything else, would you rather go to the pimpley faced 16 year old at Lowes for advice, or pay a little extra and go to an expert in the field.

That's kind of the way I view Honda or Toyota against Ford or Chevy. I'll gladly pay a few thousand dollars more to know that my purchase will be for the most part trouble free, will hold it's value reasonably well, and to have outstanding service when needed.

I'm not against American cars/products at all. Currently in the garage are a Honda Accord, a Ford Explorer, and a John Deere. And if CC sold out to a Japanese company, as long as the quality stayed the same, that's where my money would go.

Rob
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 7:42pm
Rob, I agree, I like to use the local Mom & Pop stores whenever possible. We have a local hardware store here that has everything under the sun, but you have to ask for it to find it !!!!

I bought some oak veneer plywood from our local regional lumber company for a really good price. Some of the better plywood that I have seen for awhile. When I got it home it was stamped on the edge "CHINA" and I bet the raw material came from the US.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:05am
I'm mostly self employed, I own a snowmobile tours company in a little mountain tourist town
(Sisters, OR)In the summer I build trails/campgrounds , and teach Emergency Medical Tecnician cla$$es all as a private contractor.

I like to support local compaies as much as possible but in in the end support the best technology. Competetion from over seas keeps us inovating and growing. As you can tell from this post the import vehicles that folks have are not cheap. So cheap labor is not the reason these vehicles are selling. People buy what they want and The U.S. auto makers seem a little slow to catch on to what people want right now. Hopefully the US big 3 will catch on and climb up on top again by inovation.
My wife and I have a Diesel Dodge Truck and a Diesel Volkswagen. 100% home grown, domestic biodiesel runs great in both!
Work to live, not live to work.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:08am
I work in an engine composite shop for a major airline in Atlanta. We manufacture,& repair various engine components that are entirely composite or incorportate composite parts in them. I've been there for over 18 years. Outsourcing is a very big problem as most fuselage work is done outside the company whereas before it was done in house. Engine maint is the money maker for this airline. As far as the Auto thing I'm 75% american as all 3 are represented in my home. 86' C-10, 97' Escort, 00' Durango and alas a 96' Miata.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:21am
I work in the North Texas oilfield for Halliburton. I own a 96 Chevy 3500 longbed deisel crewcab,a 00 Monte Carlo SS, an 86 BFN, and drive an 06 Ford Exploder for work. I bleed red... I don't care about owning practical fuel efficient vehicles, and if any of you did you wouldn't own a boat. I look at foriegn cars like capri pants, they're fine if you're a girl, but if you're a guy...
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

I look at foriegn cars like capri pants, they're fine if you're a girl, but if you're a guy...

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:07pm
Abt Electronics and Appliance in Glenview, IL

Have owned 89, 91, 94 Jeep Cherokees and 2001 Chevy 1500 p/u and now a 98 Chevy p/u
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by roadkingpuck roadkingpuck wrote:

Just curious; if (hypothetically speaking), Correct Craft was sold to a Japanese company, would most CC owners stay with CC for new boat purchases or would they switch to Mastercraft or another American made boat?

That would be the end of cup holders if CC was sold to a Japanese company.

Ken
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by roadkingpuck roadkingpuck wrote:

Just curious; if (hypothetically speaking), Correct Craft was sold to a Japanese company, would most CC owners stay with CC for new boat purchases ?

Never in a million years, besides then it would be a Collect Claft
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:03pm
81;that just does not roll off the tounge right,does it???????????

boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic