NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
Author
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 3:56pm
This was our families first I/O
1970 Mark Twain 292 6 cyl. #2 Drive

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 4:24pm
66 Mustang pic taken in 1982.
(brother-in-law driving)

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 4:59pm
Nice Doc. Was that 6 cylinder enough for that big I/O? Most 4 and 6 cylinders I/Os I've ridden in wont' get out of their own way. Is that 66 the yellow hull? BKH
Livin' the Dream

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 6:34pm
BKH, The ol 6 was 200 hp. The big 292 Chev. and those old Mark Twains were pretty light. Blown hull not hand laided-up.
    My Uncle had a 18' Crestliner with a 150hp Merc I/O (I think 230 ci) that pulled up 8 skiers. Still have the footage on 8mm film.

Not Yucatan Yellow, mine was Champaine looked kinda pink.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 7:42pm
My first boat was this 1985 SN, i bought it when i worked @ CC, it had a custom metal flake blue stripe that they used on the ba$$ boats @ the time. i had to sell it but i would love to find it again! I currently have a 1980 SN that i have had for about 5 years, and the most recent is a 1986 Martinique.

BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:42pm
My First Boat

My next one will have a motor, Maybe a pink SN!!!!!!!!
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 8:56am
However the Pelican is a cute boat there Blondiegurl (not as "cute" as my 78'Tique was), I think you should just steal Mark's Martinique when he's not looking, tear out the seats, replace with coolers and turn the thing into a floating bar !!! Pink, I'm not sure about, but what the hell, you guys are into flamingos so go for it........
LOL..

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 9:26am
Blondie,

No motor, but I bet it's still worth more than some of our first boats.

Still mulling over the pink SN/Barbie Boat idea (with a new daughter on the way I seem to have a more open mind ) BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 10:18am
Brian, here's an idea of what it could look like, just the wrong brand.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 11:01am
OMG, tell me a manufacturer actually made a pink ski boat?????
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 12:20pm
Mark,

What kind of work did you do for Correct Craft in the '80's? You must know Craig Warner then.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 12:49pm
I've seen the pink Brendella before. Lots of boats in the 80s with pink stripes (Sanger, Challenger, Brendella, MC come to mind) but this is the only one I can think of which had a total pink motif. Even CC had a Magenta stripe which looked pink as soon as it started to fade. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 1:36pm
There's a guy at my lake with a brand new 2006 malibu....black with pink stripes on it.

Hard for me to fathom paying 65k for a pink boat.
Life is Good.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

OMG, tell me a manufacturer actually made a pink ski boat?????

Before I bought my boat, I looked at a 96 Sport Nautique that the dealer said was "rasberry" in color. He explained it to me as a dark red. The wife and I drove over an hour to go look at it. We had high hopes because the price was right. Long story short, when we got there, "rasberry" was bright pink. We didn't even get in the boat, and the dealer was pissed off because he put it in the water for us and we refused to drive it, let alone make him an offer on it.

Rob
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 7:20pm
nuasea, heartburn, indagestion, upset stomach, diarrhea......Yeah......Pepto-Bismooooo.....
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 10:59pm
rob: what kind of dealer is that? Geez louise. Was it a CC dealer? Somebody please tell me there is a good honest salesman at a CC dealership somewhere.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 9:23am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

rob: what kind of dealer is that? Geez louise. Was it a CC dealer? Somebody please tell me there is a good honest salesman at a CC dealership somewhere.

Malibu dealer. Main Channel Marine on Lake Wawasee. 79 probably knows them well.

Rob
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 9:56am
Man, did I have to dig for these pics. I grew up on a river, and the first boat I can remember my parents having was a small outboard. I think it may have been called a Marlin? Anyway, I don't remember too much about it other than it was metallic blue and had a big evinrude and no windshield. My dad wanted to get rid of it because he could pull it all over when he skiied. I remember sitting on the pier with him when I was 5, and him explaining to me how to "hear" when an inboard was coming. He taught me that the "ones with the stars were Mastercrafts, the others were Nautiques. One day in 1984 he came home with this 71 Martinique.

The story goes, as I remember from him telling it over the years, that someone bought it new, used it until 1978 when his kids moved out, and put it uncovered in a barn. It remained there until the summer of 1984, when the guy wanted to use it for his family reunion. He brought it to Midwest Correct Craft, and told them he needed it looking like new in 2 weeks. After being told that it couldn't happen, he bought a new 84 Nautique, and left this one there. My dad had MCC redo the interior seating to be better for skiing (originally it had a bench), and rebuild the engine.

The boat had a Holman Moody boss 302 with a Holley 4 barrel carb. Again, from memory, and I don't remember exactly, the story goes something like this. Anyone that has heard anything like this, feel free to chime in and correct me, as my knowledge of history before I was born isn't that great. For the 1971 model year, supposedly Ford didn't provide enough engines to Correct Craft, and CC was left with a few boats with no engines. Long story short, Ford provided the remaining boats with Boss 302s rated at around 300 horsepower. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know that engine was a Boss from the guy that rebuilt it several years back. Also, that Martinique was faster than any of the other inboards on the water at that time. 2 of my dads barefoot buddies both had new "2001s" and they would come foot behind the Martinique every chance they got. That boat is still in my family. My brother has it, sitting in a barn. It needs to be redone, and writing this up is making me think about calling him and seeing if he wants to start on it this winter.

A couple more pics...this was from our yard on the river. It may look familiar to "the dude". This is just west of Bittersweet, and behind those trees on the oppostie bank is AM General. Notice that old trick ski on the lawn in the top pic.....

When I was 21 I wanted a Nautique really bad, but I couldn't quite afford it, so we ended up with these for a couple of summers before we found the SNOB. I know, I know, everyone hates PWCs, but we rode the responsibly, and stayed away from others. Plus, they gave my neighbor kids a lot of fun just sitting in my driveway

Wow.....that ended up a lot longer than I hoped.

Rob
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:06am
Rob, great stories, great pics, great memories, I hope you and your brother can bring that boat back to its glory!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 11:59am
Our first inboard posted on the diaries when CCF first started. About 2 years after I posted it, I got an email from the a guy whose father bought the boat from Channel Marine. He said they owned it for about 5 years before selling it. After reminissing a bit, I asked him if he could give me info leading to its whereabouts. He said he would try, but buying it back was a pretty good idea and he'd buy it if he could find it as well. I'd love to find this boat.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=207&sort=&pagenum=10&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 12:56pm
Rob, we've heard tales of a Boss 302 in a Correct Craft here before. It would be interesting to see pics of the motor. Maybe it was simply a 302 built by H-M? Those boats ripped.

Either way its a great story and cool looking boat- tell your brother to get started!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 1:09pm
My brothers first boat. Come to think of it, the '66 Mustang was not my first, I had an 8 ft. Hydro called a Mini-Max.

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/DrCC-74/JTsHydro-01.jpg">
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Rob, great stories, great pics, great memories, I hope you and your brother can bring that boat back to its glory!

Chuck

What he said. Thanks for taking the time to find the photos. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:54pm
Doc,

Whenever I go to the boat races, I try to get there early and watch the young kids in those small outboard cla$$es. They don't go that fast, but there is a lot action, a lot of competition, and those kids have a ball. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 12:04am
what they said. Rob, cool.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2006 at 10:26pm
Found another one. Dads first, '66 Larson 16' Volero- 100 hp Merc. Pic taken at Lake Taneycomo, MO- 1966

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 2:08am
My first boat...

As far as family boats the list is long and a little fuzzy until the mid 80's.

Hydrodyne late 70's with 2 250hp Black Max's
Inland Marine Tiger Shark 80hp Mercury
1980 Show Nautique 454
83 Ski Supreme 454
86 Ski Supreme 454

Before that list was a long line of wooden Cris Craft's my Grandpa owned.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 8:35am
Hey Terry, whatever Mr. Jackson paid you for that boat, it wasn't enough.

No photos of the elusive Show Nautique?? BKH
Livin' the Dream

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:47am
This is really a great topic. I've enjoyed all the pics so far. It only takes a few seconds to scan it some old pics from home, or walmart, cvs, etc. So keep them coming! I'd like to see one of Magicmans old Stars & Stripes.

Rob
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:15pm
Alright Rob, you asked for it..

Don't have pictures of my first boat but it was a 10' Sears aluminum John boat with a 1957 3hp Johnson. Spent almost every day of summer vacation fishing off of it

Here's my first real boat. 16' Starcraft 90hp merc

Then bought the 82 S&S, that was a sweet boat. The gang headed out for the early morning gla$$

Look closely you can see the pair of Penn Yan wood double skis. I used jump out of those to a barefoot start, what a blast. Also my buddies 81 Ski Supreme in the foreground. The following year we added another dock and had 4 ski boats tied there all summer long. my 82, the 81 supreme, an 83 2001 and a Supra, forgot the year
Caught a toe and got my favorite hawaiian print shirt wet and almost lost my shades.

My 71 Stars and Stripes, boat was bought for $800 as a basket case, drove to Florida and picked it up, most of it came home in the back of the pickup. This is it before the restore, one year later it was skiing again .

Great thread Brian, lots of good memories right there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
  Share Topic