Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 8:05am
My word!
I come out of the New Year's CobWebs to find Jbear posting pics faster than Ken.
007 is going to be a cool year!
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 12:21pm
Finally, Jbear starts posting the pics! Great boats over the years. Thanks for pulling an "all-nighter" to figure it out.

Rob
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 9:10pm
Thanks guys. I've got lots of pics. When you been boating as long as I have you end up with lots of stuff. I am glad you guys have been patient with me, I had trouble with the size and posting multiples so I didn't want to over do it. But I got old stuff like Larry. In fact I even have pics from when I had brown hair. Plenty of speedo stuff but 79 already e-mailed me warning me not to put that stuff on.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 9:15pm
J, you're rocking with the pics. Way to go.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 9:26pm
John, I love looking at your older photos....and yes, I am in central Florida - Winter Park-Maitland area if you are familiar with the area, on a canal to Lake Maitland. We'd like to find a lake house near the mountains that's why I asked about Norris...and Knoxville isn't too bad of a drive from Orlando.   
Heath
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 12:30am
Nice Pics jbear! Thanks for sparing us the "Speedo stuff"!

I'm not really sure why you were worried about the size, i thought the original size was better than the resize...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 8:47am
jbear, lovin' the pictures. Hopefully I'll get to see the '80 this year in person.

quinner has some gems he's getting organized for us, stay tuned.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 8:55pm
Randy, Please don't use "Speedo" and ".....worried about the size" in the same post, and esp when it pertains to a 55 yr old man.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 9:17pm
My thougths exactly Reid. Mrs jbear threw all mine out quite a while ago. Usually a "speedo" mention brings out J_I_H. Wonder where he's been.

john

Hollywood: I have been to your site...if quinner has better stuff he should get it posted.
"Loud pipes save lives"

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:34pm
Lot of new folks joining lateley, and still some long time lurkers who haven't posted pics of their first boats. Would be great to see some more. I'd like to see the wooden Chris Craft that David F has written about. There's a number of you like me over 40, I'm sure you've got some great black and whites out there of the boat you grew up with. BKH
Livin' the Dream

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 10:20am
I wish I had pics...maybe find 'em some day.
First boat was a Crosby, I think 16' with a 75 Johnson. Was rated for a max of 60. Would pull two skiers but they had to be 100# or less. Learned to ski on that boat. Thought it was the coolest boat on the lake.
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 7:35pm

My first, 1936 Seabird

My second, 1955 Chris Craft Sportsman awsome wake, but only good for light weights. Still have it.

My third, 1968 Glstron GT 160
traded in for 89 ski nautique. Pictures and diary to come once the snow melts
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:22pm
CC, your first (Port Carling Seabird I believe you said) may be the nicest and rarest we've seen so far. Kind of funny to see that high pole on the Chris Craft. Thanks for posting. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 12:55pm

My 2001 Sport with the python motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 12:59pm
That was a pretty nice ride 87. Why'd you give it up for an older boat that needed a new floorBKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:01pm
gave the boat and vette up for a new house and a wife. The jury is still out on how I did on the trade. Just kidding, happily married, always wanted a BFN so I went and found one. I wasn't really using the sport so much anyway. Was working alot of over time at that point an couldn't see letting a $60K boat sit in the garage. So I sold it and the vette paid for the wedding in cash, big downpayment on the house and had money to buy the BFN 3 months later. Everyone wins.

Now I have to wait to find another python motor. I know there is one in the for sale section. But it's not the right time to buy one again. Need a bigger garage first.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 3:56am
Seems like lots of new folks joining lately. Thought I'd bump this thread back to the top. Would love to see pictures and hear the stories of what got you into boating. BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 4:16am
JBear you have had some real gems.Thanks for sharing.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2007 at 3:16am
Brian; Thanks for the bump; just spent some time enjoying this thread again.

Terry; Thanks for the "props".....I've seen your boats and know you know a good one when you see it...hope Mr. Jackson is still enjoying the Blue one.

C'mon you new guys...get 'em posted.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 12:00pm
I found these pics of two boats me and a buddy owned about 1973. The 1st is a 15' outboard that I think was a Reynolds. It was molded plywood. It has a 1954 Johnson 25 hp. This was a fun boat.

The next is a real race boat, a C hydro. It was a Marchede hydro with a Mark 30 racing engine. This boat went close to 70 mph. It was a really nice set up, but we were terribly underfunded and sold everything after blowwing 2 powerheads in the first summer. This boat would be worth some bucks now.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 12:11pm
Riley, was the change to "Bird Hunting" any cheaper? When looking in the gun safe, I sometimes wonder?
Vet bills,gun receipts,hunting licences,beeper collars,ammo and buying and training a new dog.
I think the boating is a better bang for the buck, but what do I know......
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 3:01pm
Boat doc, you gonna do any sparrow hunting this year?
"the things you own will start to own you"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 3:35pm
Eric,

Think he is waiting for the Cockortoo season to start.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 4:45pm
Cheap shot, That is called hitting below the belt.....

Woodcock season opens Dec.17 thru Jan.31...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 5:20pm
Bird hunting is definatly not cheaper. It may seem it, but when you add it all up, no way.

Boat doc, it's hard to explain the thrill of watching a good pointing dog to those that don't understand. I hunt some grouse and woodcock, but mostly pen raised pheasants. Some people tell me it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I went to 2 different sites this past Monday where we released 80 birds between the two on Sunday. We saw 5 birds in all, two which we didn't shoot at because the dogs didn't point them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 7:32pm
Like to see this thread coming to life again (even with the threadjacks). Riley, in the first photo, how does that boat end up so far onto the beach? BKH
Livin' the Dream

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 7:37pm
Was not gonna' ask that question,it would bring back bad vibes, or so I thought...
Any boat left on the beach at high tide is apt to have the same fate......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 7:51pm
BKH, I was thinking the same thing when I seen the pic, crazy..
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 11:51pm
Color of the trees tells me that was the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. The boat had been sitting there since about Labor Day and the lake had dropped. It probably sat there until we got someone with a trailer to help us move it.

We paid $100 for that boat and ran the heck out it for 2 years. We sold it to a guy for $100 and thought he paid way too much. Man, did our jaws drop the next year when he brought it up, all restored. It was a cool boat. It has a classic old inboard windshield on it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 11:55pm
Here is the first one that I owned, 77' Ski Nautique with an original bat trailer. Bought it around 1988, boat of course was 11 I would have been 24. Purchased from the original owner in Dekalb, IL for $5,500.00, boat had around 250hrs on it, IIRC the owner told me I paid more or very close to what it cost him new and wouldn't you know when I sold it was for more than I had paid by about $1k. Over the next six or seven years replaced the interior and repainted the lettering. This was definitely the strongest sounding of all my CC's despite the fact it had a Ford in it. 4 more Correct Crafts have since followed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic