NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tide is out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tide is out
    Posted: November-16-2006 at 11:57pm
Maybe this happens in other places...let me know.

When a cold front makes it down here (winter time only) if there is a really strong north wind, it blows the water out of Galveston Bay and the tide really goes out strong. The effect is that it sucks the water out of all the creeks and bayous and we get super low tides.

The last two days the North wind has been howling (it's down to 45f tonight) and my tide meter read 3.9-4.3 feet low today. I went over to my folk's condo and the water in front of their place is totally gone. That's right, there was only mud bottom where there is usually water. I snapped this photo at their slip (luckily we had no boat in our slip) and you can see a little channel of water right behind the boats (that are on the ground), but all the way across the bayou behind is just mud bottom. I've seen it get low here, but this is the farthest I've ever seen.

Needless to say, I didn't put the sport in today to ski. It only made it up to 65 anyway and it was still pretty windy.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 12:08am
Hows fishin like this ? Do you just put on your mud shoes , like snow shoes , and just walk around and pick them up .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 12:31am
when there is water is it fresh or salt?
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 1:38am
Woah..That sucks.Gives a new meaning to the word "Beached"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 7:27am
good time to repair the docks
"the things you own will start to own you"
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:31pm
Dude, same thing happens on Lake Erie mostly in the fall during strong westerly winds. Blows all the water to the East, West end drops. Keep those dock lines slack
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:35pm
Good time to go 4+4ing, mud is good for the skin...
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:53pm
Madd, I live on a river backed up by a hydroelectric dam. During repairs they lower the level several feet. fun for the 4 wheeler but the clam shells are hard on the tires
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 4:57pm
Looks like a good application for a shore station/boat lift. No?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic