NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Spraying Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 10:05pm
I gotta agree with quinner. I have been following along learning and being mighty impressed all the way, like I bet alot of the guys are. Just haven't wanted to clutter up this thread with kudos.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2007 at 9:16am
Bill:

Suggestion: Use a graduated mixing cup or what ever and keep track of how much Styrene you put in each batch. Once you find the perfect spraying consistency for the gun you are using, you can replicate the batch every time. I know your pains. That boat is going to be a beauty!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 3:37pm
No new pics today. Applied the final layer of gelcote to the right side, stern, and bottom (right side only). Now just sanding. Going to get all of this sanded with at least 400 before moving to the other side to spray more.

I have my recipe now for the smoothest mix. I have also figured out the best settings on the gun. What has happened a few times is that for no good reason at all the fine, smooth spray pattern will suddenly clump or splatter. Only experienced this while trying to spray the bottom of the boat though so gravity seems to have something to do with it.

I do appreciate all of the tech help and support. Dave and Pete have been instrumental but many people from the site have contributed greatly in one way or another. Thanks again.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 9:25pm
bump for an incredible project.

I know I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting updates.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 10:47am

On the left side there are four coats of white gelcote. After the first coat I sanded. Then again after the third. The fourth was a thin soft coat intended to be very smooth on the spray. Did not exactly turn out that way but I have enough thickness to sand.

The right side is sanded with 800 grit. The stern with 400 grit. Yes, I have not yet sanded the trace off the lip. Trying not to get bogged down. Been at the range for the last three days and working Saturdays now, as well.
Bill
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 4:24pm
I didn't realize that gel would spray on that rough. It looks like you have alot of sanding ahead of you.

Keep up the good work. Your boat is going to be great when you are finished.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 7:54pm

Ski Bum Jr. was in the garage this morning while I was at work. The left side of the boat now has blue and white gelcote. Working to sand down the bottom. Cut the hole in the bottom for the Perfect Pass paddle as well. Progress is slow. The first picture says it all.
Bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 8:24pm
Bill, That's great that you are getting the encouragement from Skibum Jr. How's Mrs Skibum handling it? Has the dust started to get into the house yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 12:36am
Exactly why my dad didn't want me starting this project this summer. He said he would cover the cost of labor to have someone else do it because he didnt want dust, fiberglass, and paint getting tracked in the house.

That being said, it would have been fun and Bill is doing a great job.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 2:28pm
I am constantly chastized for the dust that gets into the house. The garage is a mess. The boat is still a mess. Everybody wants it finished so we can go skiing. Nobody wants to help. I don't let it get me down. I am trying to come up with a good plan on how to get it all finished. There are so many things left to do, even when the gelcote is done. The fins still need to be straightened, clean the wiring harness and cables, strip-clean-and paint the tranny, engine and mounts. Still got stuff going on the inside as well. When you look at the big picture it is almost depressing. I know I will eventually finish..
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 4:26pm
I don't picture you as a guys who gets depressed Bill. Keep at it. It's going to be great. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 7:18pm

Had to go back a bit to move ahead. I worked for some time to get the remainder of the bottom of the boat covered in gelcote. Then I taped off a new stripe. Sprayed the blue on first. Then when it dried I taped onto the blue stripe leaving about 1/4" of the blue exposed at each end of the stripe. Once I sprayed the white I started sanding again. The results were much better than before but still not perfect. About 90% of the stripe has a brilliant, clean line. There are some areas with slightly jagged spots. Then even worse there are a handful of places where when sanding the white off the blue I sanded too deep into the blue. I'll have to tape those places off and try again.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 10:54am
Bill:

Change of color lines are tough to do. Even CC has trouble getting a good clean line, thus they usually cover with vinyl pin striping. You might consider doing the same.

BTW, that boat is looking awesome. You are getting closer!
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 12:32pm
Bill,

I've followed this thread and the other one on the stringer work you did. I just wanted to say...

Great job! It is really remarkable when you think about all the work you've put into the boat. You’ve still have a lot to do so hang in there…

Kyle
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 12:58pm
Well I think is pretty common for company's to use tape over the color transitions, they usually use an accent color to outline the colored gel area's. I know Rinker does it that way and I'm sure CC does too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 9:29am
Bill, Looking better and better! You'll know you're done when there is a minimum of a 1/4" overspray stuck to the floor!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 7:09am
I really wanted to make the line good enough that I would not have to use stripes. No such luck. I ordered some striping that should work out well.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 9:36am
Bill, You know me ? Mr. purest/originality! I thought the boat did have some vinyl stripes on it so I wouldn't worry about it. The pros have a problem too. Of coarse, when you're done with it, you can go down to Florida and give them some pointers!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 6:49am
I purchased some of those abrasive disks from the woodworker website. I think they are called abralon. It was remarkable how quickly I can wet sand the entire boat using an orbital sander with the pads. I started with a 500. Then I used the 1000. I was very impressed. However, I noticed that after using the 1000 I was able to go back over it wet sanding by hand to bring out an ever smoother and brighter finish. Hope to get the 2000 done after work today. The abralon pads are a bit expensive at $25.00 per five disks but I think they are worth it. And, the GFCI works great too.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 7:16am
I'm glad you liked the Abralon pads. Yes they are expensive but they do last wet and they sure reduce the hand wet sanding. Nothing however as you are finding eliminates the hand sanding - Since the Abralon pads are soft, you still need to do some hard block wet sanding. You didn't trip the GFCI did you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 6:46am
I tripped it a few times. Found out it was where the cord plugged into the extension cord getting wet. No worries. Trying to get the trailer sanded so I can repaint and put new carpet on the bunk boards. Then I'll put the boat on the trailer and reassemble the boat. At this stage in the basic training cycle I am rarely not at work so time is hard to come by.
Bill
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 9:00pm
Well hang in there Bill, it's coming along very nicely.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 10:13am
Whats new Bill. It has been a month since we have seen any updates.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 11:52am
Nice Job!

re: orbital sanding - once you get past the windsheild - towards the bow Lookout with the orbital- the contours of the bow makes it very difficult to wet sand evenly without removing too much gel. i just could not keep the sander flush with the contours.

anyway thats was my experience. good luck!
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 4:21pm
I have been talking to Bill via email. He seems to be very busy with military stuff and hasn't had any time to work on it.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 10:44am
Our basic training company graduates this morning. I have been able to put in an hour here and there to work on the SN. I have taken a lot of pics that I'll post soon. Ran into a huge problem with reassembly. After running all the under water gear, wiring, and plumbing I installed the carpet. Then I removed the tires and left fender to allow easier access with the engine crane. Once I installed the engine/transmission I could not lower the back enough to properly align the shaft. The stringer height was incorrect! I had to trim 1/2" from the stringer height and repair the damage before I could reinstall the engine and get the proper alignment. Not everything is connected yet. But I will have some time off work to get it finished. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Thanks for all the support.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 5:58pm
Nice to see you update Bill. Have missed your progress reports. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 9:43pm
Bill: Welcome back! I am sure you have that company in good shape.

We are all waiting on the edge of our seats for an up-date.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2007 at 8:35am
Bill,

I was just wondering; seems to me one of life's basic training exercising is learning all about boats. You could have a dozen guys from basic hold the boat in the air while you finish the trailer or gelcoat the bottom, etc.

I really appreciate what you do; I've got a hunch you have helped shape and mold many a young man!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 2:01am
Can't wait to see those pics!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic