NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SURVEY - Original vs. Custom

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SURVEY - Original vs. Custom
    Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:30am
Good story, six strings. Joe, always good to find another reformed polo player. I'd have to say my shape probably more resembles the ball than the players these days. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:12am
1: Would you have to have it totally original no matter what or it wouldn’t matter, you could add or subtract anything to suit your needs?

I am about to have 2 CC's with engines that turn the wrong way so I am not the biggest "go original" guy. My 67 mustang came to me with basically nothing left original except for the hull, and that had been badly painted. At the end of its rebuild it will look like a boat made in 1967, but there wont be many original Correct Craft parts, it would be just too expensive with that boat. If it was in decent shape with mostly original hardware to begin with it would be a different story.

My 83 was much closer to original when I got it, I will maintain the original layout/gel coat etc that is in good shape, but with the motor, stereo, and tower I will try to keep things in line with the original style but not where it compromises how I want to use the boat.

2: Why do you prefer one over the other?

I respect the original boats but I wouldn't trust a true cla$$ic to me and my friends/family for day to day use.

3: What is your age?

4: What is your occupation?

Mechanical Engineer (HVAC New Poduct Development Project Manager). Currently in the process of setting up a recreation products side business.

5: How would you describe your personality?

Know it all jerk who would give ya the shirt off my back..

-Joe.

ps. Interesting side chat on the swimming, I am a reformed (from inshape to round) college swimmer and water polo player, was a better water polo player than swimmer although in an east coast kind of way ..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 5:26pm
GN; "The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree" my Mom always said.

Seriously, your #5 fits you to a "T".

Of course I do mean that will all respect to you and your Dad!

john

PS; just reread...holy cripes...you CANNOT be 39.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:19am
Here's my $0.02

1.) I would have said totally original as that’s how my '87 is... err or least was until I added a tower. Mine still has original upholstery, carpet, graphics, etc. Still looks like new. Some subtle changes are OK in my mind, but nothing radical.

2.) I guess I'm not too adventurous. I like things predictable.

3.) 39 yrs old

4.) Manufacturing Engineering Manager for a company that makes oil burners for the heating industry.

5.) Hypothetical Analyzer/Logical Processor (jbear, sounds familiar, right??)
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 12:24pm
Hey Mark,

The Freeport will look original to most people. Different windsheild, bigger engine, engine cover, drive, and seating? The cla$$ic overall look will not change.
How's the weather down there? Scott
Scott
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 10:27am
Alan, don't feel so bad, i couldn't remember the questions either, i just hade to keep scrolling up to look at em again... & I'm only 21...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 10:13am
BKH,

Johnny Weismuller taught my dad and my aunt to swim in Cincinnati back in the late 20s, early 30s, I think. I believe he taught at the local YMCA. At least that's the story....my dad was a great swimmer.

Walt
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 10:08am
1. Original as possible, but I'm not a purist. New teleflex gages (voltmeter where ameter used to be, etc.) Acme prop, those kinds of things don't change the look, just improve the performance.

2. As said in many different ways, we need to preserve the past. Cla$$ics are cla$$ics. Guitars, cars, boats, art. We need it.

3. 51

4. Sales Manager, hand held measuring equipment.

5. Like Root, laid back. My wife thinks I'm too easy going.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:14am
Alan,
Dropped ya an email.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 8:20am
Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

1: Would you have to have it totally original no matter what or it wouldn’t matter, you could add or subtract anything to suit your needs?

First off, you know you're getting old you have to quote from 2 pages ago just so you can remember the questions. Duh

I do love the cla$$ic boats and would probably never stray too far from original cosmetically. Under the hood go for it.
2.Style baby, there's just nothing cooler than an old cla$$ic inboard.
4.Self destroyed, I mean employed. Wife an I own and run a printing and embroidery business with 11 employees.

5.Which personnality, I have several? Professionally, I am dominant/serious, I run the show, make the tough decisions, take the risks and pay the price. Personnally, much more laid back and will do ANYTHING to help out family and friends and make sure everyone gets along. I bet you could tell when I'm posting from home or at work, Jeckle and Hyde thing going on there.

Ps. nauti84, I hung Alumaline/ Vistawall/Three Rivers windows and Curtainwall for many years in the New England Area. Spent 12 years in the vinyl/ aluminum window manufacturing bidness as a plant manager. Ever see the housing complex next to the bayside expo in Boston. Our plant manufactured all 6000 windows in that place.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 1:42am
I say, whatever floats your boat ,there is only two ways to get everthing you want in a boat, buy a new one, or build it yourself, my boat is "Doo Doo brown" so new paint is on the list, but in the orignial style!!

I like them all ,if not done to tacky

1965, you do the math

Boat and Auto, Detailer

All of the above!! But most of all, Laid back!

Great post, Scott, How original is the Freeport going to be??
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Scott: Awesome thread. Ranks right up there with First boat pics and Mans Best Friend. Very interesting reading.

john

John,
I think its very intersting too. It seems like everyone pretty much thinks the same way. We all seem to be right around the same age which was a surprise to me. Thanks to everyone who has been responding. It has really given me a great perspective on what people like/look for in boat restoration. Since that's what I do in my free time, I can see now that most people would prefer to keep them as close to original as possible. It also seems like people don't have a problem with engine upgrades and minor interior modifications.

Scott
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

"Ironically, at that Olympics, he broke the record held by Johnny Weissmuller, whose role as Tarzan he would later a$$ume."

(from wikipedia)

Buster also played Flash Gordon in that old serial as well.

Also read today that Buster was from right here in Oakland, CA. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:10pm
Scott: Awesome thread. Ranks right up there with First boat pics and Mans Best Friend. Very interesting reading.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:24pm

1.     I have a slightly different senerio. As far as the cla$$ic CC runabouts, i.e. Mustang, Tique, Ski Nautique anything wood, I say keep them as original as possible. Now, for something like my Cuddy or a Fish, I think it is OK to upgrade. I say this because it difficult if not almost impossible to find an affordable inboard in this size range that is sea worthy.

2.     I love to see a cla$$ic restored. Original just adds cla$$ that you can not get with a new boat.

3.     Five 0

4.     Project Engineer

5.     Friendly, opinionated
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 7:32pm

1. I like totally original, but since we use the boat every weekend I dont mind puttin a few add on's that are needed for our use and doesn't take away from the original look.

2. Why, original shows the ideas and craftmanship of its time and it looks better like that.

3. LOL old enough to know better,   but do it anyway.    46

4. Auto body tech.

5. well I turned for help on this one and asked my girlfriend,   she laughed and said your laid back, easy going, life of the party, and basicly retarded.......
RootRacing
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 5:02pm
"Ironically, at that Olympics, he broke the record held by Johnny Weissmuller, whose role as Tarzan he would later a$$ume."

(from wikipedia)

Buster also played Flash Gordon in that old serial as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 4:49pm

Added bonus, Buster Crabb, former olympian who went on to play Tarzan in the great old movies was in the stands too.

Wasn't it Johnny Weismuller who was the swimming medalist who played Tarzan? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hijack, I ran into a guy today that claims to have a 1984 Donzi Sweet 16 with 6 hours on it. He claims it is one of the last Donzis and has been kept in a heated garage. He is ready to sell.

Last I knew, Donzi still makes the 16, 18 and 22 Cla$$ic hulls.

Is there anything special about it? I know they made some Cla$$ics with V-drives which arent as common.

This is an original Donzi. The company was later sold to Wellcraft, IIRC.

Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 3:25pm
Donzi did not make the 16 ft after 1990 until 2007 line. It is now back in

www.donzimarine.com
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 3:24pm

No Brian, Name doesn't ring a bell. Neat story tho. My closest brush with the great ones was going to the NCAAs as a spectator when I was a junior in HS in 1972. All the 72 olympic greats were there including Mark Spitz. Added bonus, Buster Crabb, former olympian who went on to play Tarzan in the great old movies was in the stands too. How long did you swim, Brian?

Mark Spitz swam at Santa Clara, a few miles from my home, along with Donna Devarona, Don Shoelander, and a lot of other Olympians. I read in the paper that their coach died a few weeks ago. Terry Mejia who won a bronze in 68 also swam there and was anothe of my coaches. Gus Deguerra who played on the Hungarian Olympic Polo team was another. Swam through high school. Went to college with Matt Biondi and Mary T. Majer. Lots of exposure to swimming. Mostly a water polo player. Got pretty tough after three pins inserted in my knee junior year. Got even tougher when I grew to be over 2 bills. BKH
Livin' the Dream

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 2:54pm
1. Mostly original

2. I like to see the boats now as they were when I was growing up. Nothing wrong with a little customization, but I think it's easy to go too far. Alan (81 Nautique) is a good example of "tastefully" upgrading the interior. If one didn't know better, they would think it's original.

3. 27

4. I drive a big lumber delivery truck

5. Friendly and easy going

Good post

Rob
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hijack, I ran into a guy today that claims to have a 1984 Donzi Sweet 16 with 6 hours on it. He claims it is one of the last Donzis and has been kept in a heated garage. He is ready to sell.

Last I knew, Donzi still makes the 16, 18 and 22 Cla$$ic hulls.

Is there anything special about it? I know they made some Cla$$ics with V-drives which arent as common.
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 2:20pm
Holy crap....another realestate appraiser.

1. Cla$$ic boats should be left alone. 80's and up should be able to be customized for looks and performance

2. I prefer some customization because you can express your personality with it.

3. 33 years young

4. Real Estate appraiser

5. Easy Going and just happy to be here.....
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 2:11pm
If it's 1980's or older, and all the parts are there,it ought to be kept original. If it's so far gone that it needs everything, customizing is ok. I think 1963 to 1970 Correct Crafts are the nicest boats out there, so they especially should be kept original.

RE Appraiser
Still getting up early to ski

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 2:00pm
No Brian, Name doesn't ring a bell. Neat story tho. My closest brush with the great ones was going to the NCAAs as a spectator when I was a junior in HS in 1972. All the 72 olympic greats were there including Mark Spitz. Added bonus, Buster Crabb, former olympian who went on to play Tarzan in the great old movies was in the stands too. How long did you swim, Brian?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 1:50pm
Larry, Do you know Ray Taft. He qualified for the Olympics in 1940, I beleive it was, but was unable to go because the Olympics were cancelled due to the war. He was a legend in Master's swiming setting records in every age category well into his 80s. He was my coach when I was a kid. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

Masters Competitor?... No sh*t?

Just in swimming, not in skiing and not that big a deal.

"Masters" just means swimming for old farts, not necessarily really good old farts.

Its a good bunch of guys and ladies. Range in age from mid 20s to mid 50s. (mid 50s on my team, there are competitors in the meets into their 80s) Range in talent from former college champs to people who just like to add a little zing to their exercise program by competing. I enjoy it and it helps pa$$ the winters. Fairly popular around here, I do two main meets a year, one attracts over 300 swimmers, the other over 700.

Now that I think of it, you probably thought I meant Masters skier. Hence, the reaction. I wish that was the case, but its not. And even though you probably had no interest in the swimming part, its too late, I already typed it up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 12:04pm

...Young in spirit and can still out-ski and out-swim (masters competitor) many (but certainly not all)of my younger compadres.

Masters Competitor?... No sh*t?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 12:02pm
No sh*t Hollywood? you're only 23? i was thinking more along the lines of late 20's, i dunno whether that's a compliment or not, hahaha. yeah i guess i forgot about the other 'youngins'

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic