NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I worry about this driveshaft?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I worry about this driveshaft?
    Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:47am
After reading some of the comments from Skibum's thread about his drive shaft, I started thinking about the dings on my drive shaft. Is this something I should be worried about?

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:58am
Randy, is that where the shaft sits? and i wonder why there is set screw marks there?
Personally I wouldnt worry about it unless it was dis-colored
   eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 11:24am
Randy,Skibum shipped his shaft to General Prop.so they could duplicate his double taper.
1"x541/8" They will drop ship to you,and you use my dealer number.........226.53 plus shipping. single taper 174.03 They supply C/C with their shafts and couplings......boat dr
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 1:04pm
Looks like someone moved the safety collar back up against the shaft log. Maybe they thought that the collar was there to stop the water from dripping
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 4:04pm
there he goes again more sells sh*t, ignore the question and send the stuf to me,

please offer something beside a sales pitch d*ckhead DOC

Randy don't get excited about the shaft the saftey collar is slid down against the packing gland there should be a small gap between the two and the two marks look like dimples for the set screw of the saftey collar.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

Looks like someone moved the safety collar back up against the shaft log. Maybe they thought that the collar was there to stop the water from dripping

The previous owner, although a great guy and a good friend, was not too mechanically inclined. This is what it looked like when I got it:

when I asked him about it he said he thought the fitting was supposed to have grease in it to keep the water out. only after coming to this site did I learn that it was supposed to have packing material in it. I put it back together the right way. I used the Gor-tex packing. Anyway, the dimples apparently are from the PO tightening the set screws down too tight. I was concerned about it breaking after reading the other posts. I can imagine the danger and damage involved with this breaking.I would rather not replace it now unless absolutely necessary.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 6:59pm
I hope you replace the section hose, the dimples where drilled in the set screws won't create a indentation like that, they mar the surface but won't create a recess like the one shown. The one dimple furthest from the packing gland is what you should line the saftey collar up with remove the set screw so that it is exactly over that spot it will prevent the collar from sliding on the shaft if something goes wrong.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 7:43pm
I see the collar now, didnt see it earlier
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 8:25pm
Excuse my ignorance guy's,is that collar on there so you don't lose the shaft? My 68 does not have one,would it be worth while to have one.I've never had the shaft even come loose or heard of one coming out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 9:27pm
if it slips out of the coupling under hard reverse or it breaks at the coupling it can save the prop from hitting the rudder and pinging the prop. I don't have one and mine broke at the coupling didn't hurt anything but I wasn't going very fast at all and was just taking off so luck I guess.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:11pm
79, I didn't replace the piece of hose. That would require removing the entire shaft. The piece of hose seems fine, it has a little bit of a twist to it but is not torn or damaged.
Are you saying that the collar should be up at the top where the top dimple is? that seems to be too far away from the packing gland.
I agree, I don't think the set screws would cut into that shaft, who the hell would take a drill to this shaft? I agree, that is what it looks like. I'm not sure what if anything I should do about it. I would rather wait until next year to do anything with it. Unless it is a danger or possible big problem... I will try to take a picture tomorrow to show the whole thing.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 11:36pm
safety collar should be indexed into dimple closest to packing nut.no idea why that dimple is above that unless that shaft was used in another boat or they just plain missed it the first time

Munday
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 4:32pm
Close up of the dimples:

I moved the safety collar up to the lower dimples that seems to make sense. Is this right?

first pic came out a little dark, sorry

does the hose look alright?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 4:57pm
looks good,,, is the packing tighten down? looks like it's at the end of the threads or four rings of packing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 6:32pm
79- I have it pretty tight. I think I do have four rings of packing in. is this not right? I thought I had read that I should put as many in as would fit... should I take one out? Is the safety collar in the right place? I think maybe it should be closer to the packing nut

thanks

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 7:29pm
the collar looks about right, I thought it was three for the shaft and four for the rudder. I guess it depends on how many threads are engaged, you don't want just two or three threads of engagement if it backs off it will come undone really quick.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 9:12pm
randy you have the collar in the right place the second to last pics shows the witness mark on the shaft where it should be. By witness mark I mean the discolored part of the shaft not the dimples. The set screw hole should line up right over the dimple closest to the packing.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:43pm
Good thread. This is the kind of thing that really needs help and can be solved here with the help of others. What's the extra dimple for? It almost seems as if the shaft got turned around and those are the marks from the set screws in the strut. Of course, I'm a bit ignorant about this stuff.

Randy, I'm glad you're getting this bad boy ready for the spring. It's a great boat and you got a great deal.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 12:46am
Witness mark?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 12:50am
I will back it off and check how many threads I have.

I have no idea what the other dimple is from. I hope it is not a problem.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 1:34pm
I don't think the extra dimple is going to be a problem, it could serve as a fatique stress concentration in bending if the shaft was bent or ou were very out of alignment but you wouldn't be driving it around then... nice pictures, great way to get a good answer.
-joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:14pm
Randy yes the wintess mark. In the second to last pic you posted. You have the safety collar and the shaft. Look at the pic and you can see where the safety collar is in the pic and the first dimple. Right around the dimple you will see the shaft is not as shiny there as the rest of the shaft is. That is the witness mark of where the safety collar used to be. I would recommend putting it back in that spot, if you haven't already.
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 9:09am
"Witness mark", refers to any previous mark made on a part that would help you figure out how to re-a$$emble it. In this case its the mark made by the safty ring as it sat on the shaft.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 12:38am
I took the packing gland apart today and it has about four threads on the inside of the fitting, It looks like I have three rings of the packing in there. is this good or should I take one ring out? I have it tightened down real snug.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:01am
three is right just tighten it down as tight as you can get it then when your in the water let it set for about 10 minutes and re-adjust the packing gland, You need for the rope to soak up somewater and they will soften and you can tighten it more. Just be sude and tighten down the jam nut when your all done,
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 10:44am
thanks 79 I will leave it for now and check it once I get it out on the water in the spring.

Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 9:50pm
Hey,

I replaced my shaft packing with the gortex packing. I used three rings and snugged the packing nut hand tight. I watched the packing and I did not notice any water dripping. I rode around for a bit and I checked again. The shaft was hot. When I poured lake water on the packing nut it steamed. I unscrewed the nut until it was almost off and water was dripping a steady stream. I let a good bit of water drip until it was cool. I tightened the nut and it was just tight enough to touch the gortex packing and it was dripping a few drops a minute and I turned it 1/4" and it stopped dripping. I ran the boat for and hour and I checke the shaft and packing nut and it was fine. It was not even warm.

Is the gortex ok after being heated?

Clew in
Clew In
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 9:16am
Clew, I had the exact same experience the first time I took it out this year after installing the new packing. You should be fine.
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 11:30am
Hey,

I guess the water needs to flow into the packing nut to lubricate it. I must have had it too tight and it could not get all of the gortex wet.

Clew In
Clew In
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic