NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Announcing www.Fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Announcing www.Fifteenoff.com
    Posted: March-19-2007 at 8:45pm
Hey gang, I finally created a skiing-related website (Keith, I sent you an email about this so I hope you don't mind me announcing my site on yours ). Special thanks to Hollywood and TRBenj for some early previewing of the site. I thought I'd release it to you guys first since everyone here pretty much knows me and will be easy on me with the criticism! Let me know what you think.

Here's my press release:

3/19/07 Chicago, IL:

Announcing www.Fifteenoff.com!

Fifteenoff.com is a slalom skiing blog and resource by and for skiers who are just starting to ski the course or are just starting to "cut the line". The site's creator and author , Joel Hughes, will document his skiing revelations and progress from 15 off to (hopefully) shorter line lengths and higher speeds. What makes Fifteenoff.com different from other slalom sites is that reviews, tips, advice, and skiing revelations in the site will be taken from the perspective of a slalom skier who is just starting to learn the course.

"In the 4 or so seasons I've been skiing slalom, I've had a hard time finding tips, equipment reviews, and direction on the web geared towards those who are just starting to get into the slalom course. Long line lengths and slower speeds are a whole different ball game than what the pros run. In some cases just getting a course or good water is tough for many skiers out there. By documenting my own progression through the course, I hope to provide a resource for skiers who are working on longer line lengths and slower speeds. Of course, all skill levels are welcome- especially when it comes to giving the advice." said site creator and author Joel Hughes.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 9:14pm
never tried to slalom..went straight from 2 skis to barefootn and boardin..im gonna get at it this year i think....ill keep the site in mind and passs the word
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 9:31pm
Looks great Joel, can't wait for some ski reviews. You know where I'm at and I need to be thinking of a new ski here very shortly.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 10:23pm
nice job Joel!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 7:20am
Thanks for the new site Joel,

It looks great, and I'm a subscriber!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 8:19am
Nice job Joel!

added to my bookmarks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:00pm
nice site joel one typo tho. The GL pictures page you have Allen's and my boat facing each other, the first picture where it's says 77 and 81 it should be 79 and 81,

saw your early shot of your 77 maybe you photo-shoped it in can't see the interior to well to tell the diference if it is or isn't
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

one typo tho.

"Hello Pot, Kettle speaking."
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:09pm
It's not like he's calling Joel a dump ass for the typo, he knows he can't type either.

When clicking the actual url links on the "links" page it would be nice if they opened in their own window. I'm not sure if that's anything you can control though.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:13pm
Joel,

Great idea on the site, looking forward to more!! While on the subject of typo's, check "Triumph" on your latest entry.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:17pm
I can easily modify those links to open in their own window, no prob. Will do.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:18pm
I added too. Most ski sites are tuned to guys that are running 35,38..off, Great idea!
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:30pm
Right up my alley........ thanks for the cool site.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 1:41pm
Nice site Joel.   I must be a charter member as I am one of those who has been stuck at 31 mph/15 off for about 25 years now. Like you, I never have had too much opportunity to go on or exposure to courses. Unlike you, I have never been to a school. In a good summer I might get a dozen passes, and that hasn't happened in a few years now. Ken pulled me through one on his lake a couple times last year, but that was it. A new work colleague recently told me about a local lake that I don't use that has a course out all the time. I checked it out but the public ramp is pretty much just for fishermen, is unpaved and way too gradual/shallow for me to use, unless I bought a hummer with a snorkle. So no go there.

I like to do it because no matter how good or bad you are, you can always challenge yourself and watch your own improvement. Setting goals always adds to the satisfaction of an endeavor. Good luck with the site...I'll be checking in for pointers.   
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 7:55pm
whats 15 off mean in simple terms...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

whats 15 off mean in simple terms...

Normal ski rope is 75 feet long. In competition, they shorten the rope every time the skier makes a successful 6 bouy pass. It gets harder as the rope gets shorter so competitors start getting eliminated. It goes in set intervals of 15 feet off (hence a 60 foot rope) 22 28 32 35 38 39.5 and 41 feet off. Keep in mind its 37.5 feet from the pylon to the bouy so when the big boys are going 38 off, the rope (now at 37 feet long)is shorter than the distance from the pylon to the bouy.

You may have noticed the color coded take off loops and sections on ropes...I believe the standard is the colors of the rainbow; red is 15 off, orange 28, yellow 32, and so on.

Joel has aptly named his site, because most folks start working on the course at 15 off, in that a full 75 foot line is a bit sluggish on a course.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 6:01am
IMO no slalom skier should ever be on a 75' line; too many bad habits to break later. When I get a new line that section comes off and put in a box.

good luck with your endeavor
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 6:43am
Joel,
Knee bend is good but your hips are about 14" behind where they should be. Your all bent up.

Let those arms out and leave them out; aside from a slight bend to absorb the shock loading after the apex, then let them out. When the arms bend, the butt droops, the shoulder roll. Then you can only pull as hard as your lower back and biceps are strong. You must rethink about using skelatal strength vs muscular strength. When the upper body is linear to the line, your really going to zing.

Stay off the course for a few sessions to fully rework the body position; don't compromise form for that 1/2 bouy - that equates to plateaus.

Once your committed to a run, its virtualy impossible to correct form, especially if you havn't experienced it yet. Start each cut with purest form; if you crush and drop the butt, stop cutting; reset and then rinse-repeat.

Stop thinking 'pull'; its the wrong mindset; the body will crush and loose leverage.

Think 'push'. You are pushing against the boat with the legs. Say 'push' to yourself every cut.

The primary muscles used should be the traps, quads and glutes, anything else, the form needs correction.

Get Rathburn's 12 slalom drill video, its really great for an enthusiast like yourself.

Great to see someone excited about slalom. Your going to have a great year.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:27am
GottaSki, you pretty much described my slalom skiing as well, I will work on the things you mentioned thanks!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:43am
Gottaski, thanks for the advice. I think my issue with my hips originates right in my pre-turn when I don't open myself up at all towards the shore. Instead, as you mentioned, I muscle my way through the turn with my upper body, and my hips fall behind. I tried opening up the upper body through the pre-turn on my last run last season with Hollywood and the difference on 1 ball was night and day. Of course, I didn't know what to do with myself after 1 ball and blew it afterwards, but I definately felt something click.

Keep the advice coming- but send it to joel@fifteenoff.com and I'll post it for others.

Thanks!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:48am
Anytime.

Many are so bent up after the deepwater start, then go right into their cuts, and never recover.

Follow every DW start with a 'reset' procedure for the body and mind.
push the hips up over the forward heel, straighten the back, roll the shoulders back where they should be, and open up the arms. Then ease into the rythem.

cripes, can you tell I'm caucasion? I can't even spell rythem.

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:49am
Tom,

Sounds like you know what you are doing. We should move this conversation over to Joels new site to get it rolling, but since we're here...I'll ask. All my still photos of me skiing look like this. Front of ski way to high up. Simple answer is less weight on rear foot, but it doesn't seem as easy as that. Any ideas. I have some video of me doing (attempting) the course. Maybe I'll post that this weekend and get your thoughts.

hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:54am
Wow! A lot of good information on this thread. Thanks guys. Hey Ryan, keep on footin' as long as you can, the falls hurt worse as you get older...and think of the money you are saving on buying a slalom ski.

Heath
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:56am
Hmm, 75, that could be a ski setup issue as well. I'm in no position to give advice, but maybe move the front boot forward a hole or two?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 11:03am
What are you refering to when you say "open up the arms or I don't open myself up towards the shore"? Can you elaborate on that a bit. thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 11:32am
Alan, Im guessing he's referring to a position like these:

The Schnitz site says, "The most efficient skiers utilize upper and lower body separation. Like snow skiing where the chest always faces down the hill, great water-skiers utilize the same body position. Upper body rotation causes the skier to get out of position while accelerating which in turn causes a delay in the edge change which in turn causes slack or down course problems after the buoy." He also says "Reaching down and forward puts more weight on the front of the ski putting more ski in the water, which equals more deceleration and turning."

Lots of good tips on his site. Joel, if youre referring to something else, please correct me.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 11:38am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

"Reaching down and forward puts more weight on the front of the ski putting more ski in the water, which equals more deceleration and turning."

I'm pretty good at that, but it usually equates to my face following right behind. I really need to focus on that lower-upper body separation and quit relying on my arms and back. Pretty excited to get out in the course regularly this year with Mr. Fifteenoff.com himself.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 11:52am
Larry,

Gotta love the shades while skiing!

Not an expert here but your hands are too high, always pull to your waist, I have read RFF should be RH Knuckle up. To get back under control, or off your heels, I was told to hold body stance and turn the ski a bit as apposed to turning only with your body lean. Last year this time I skied with Seth Stisher and one drill he had me run was keep me eye on the top of the pylon at all times to help position as well.

This topic/Joel's site will be even better when we are all back in the water and actually working on our skiing, cannot wait!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 12:09pm
Quinner, you better join HW and I on the course this year too! You should be a regular there.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 12:10pm
The end of my red line always is the first to wear out. This just isnt good because, a few years ago i was running 28 off 8 out of 10 attempts. I need to find someone who goes "off the dock" at 22 and purchase their unused red lines. Or maybe i should get back to practicing.
Does anyone have any experience with "river" temp. courses? I have about a 4 mph current.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic