NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got pipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got pipes?
    Posted: May-30-2007 at 11:38am
Those following along with my top end issues have already seen these pics, but Ill share them here for everyone else.

My dual exhaust project is done. For those unfamiliar, Correct Craft started installing 2-in, 1-out mufflers in 1989. That means that with the exception of a very few boats (502 Pythons boats, for example) all CC's since then have had a single exhaust outlet.

The biggest trick on this project was creating room for a second pipe, with an outlet symmetrical to the original. On all '89+ boats, the exhaust is routed between the primary stringers instead of outside of them. That meant that a second pipe runs very close to the centerline of the boat- right through where the rudder arm used to swing.   The picture below isnt from my boat (possibly Darrel's?) but it shows how the stock exhaust and rudder arm looked (though mine was run on the opposite side):

On the motor side, I matched the 3.5" header outlets to a section of 3.5" SS piping that brought the exhaust to the floor. Theyre not symmetrical, as each side had its own obstacles- water intake hardware, blower lines, etc. I had a custom exhaust place build the pipes for me, and I had them ceramic coated to match the Hi-teks.

The tips are 4" polished SS with internal flappers. I had the reducers welded to the tips and a section of pipe added to that. This gave me a little extra clearance with the rudder arm and gave me 2 straight shots back with the reinforced hardwall hose. I could have gone SS all the way back, but the hose provides support (it sits on the hull) and absorbs vibration. It also keeps the exhaust modular should it need to be disassembled.

While everything was apart, I ran all new cooling hoses as well as fuel lines, and replaced the steering cable.

The boat should now be JBear approved. It still has the characteristic whine from the 1.23 tranny, but compared to the exhaust its almost unnoticeable. Slip-in style silencers/mufflers are coming in the near future.

As far as I know, this is the first boat to be converted like this. There are a very small handful of boats that were converted either by the factory or dealerships- but the ones I could find all had 2 new holes cut closer to the inside of the stringers. The original hole (if there was one) was either plugged or re-glassed.

If nothing else, its different.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 11:54am
Tim, there is only two people that would tackle that job;
TRBenj & The Boat Doctor.....
And for the same reason;
Did not know any BETTER.ha ha
looks awsome tim, proud of the finished product and the part I played in it.................billy
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:01pm
all show and no go....like the Boat docs,
maybe we should re-name the site "trailer queens only"

on the serious side i see many signs of perfection and I commend you
"the things you own will start to own you"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:06pm
Tim, looks awesome. I couldn't have done any better myself. Bet it does sound great too!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:17pm
Tim, It sure is looking good. It does look like alot of "customizing" with the plumbing and the steering but I'm sure the results will be worth it. You've got over 6 weeks before GL so that's plenty of time to fine tune the project. Looking forward to seeing it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:27pm
Boy does that look sweet. All I can hear though is my wife saying "you want to do what?"
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:50pm
That is a lot of fabrication work! And worth it based on looks alone, very trick. The stainless drop pipes are so much cleaner looking and give you more room than the invertaflo. Love the end tips too, makes it look like the hotrod that it is! I was hoping that you would explain in more detail when looking at the pics in your engine post. Thanks and good luck on the fine tuning.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:04pm
Eric, if I was you I would not be bashing nor talking poo poo about our boats being T/Queens.I know for a fact you have some less than stock parts on your boat,need I tell the whole story .
I see you have not posted any pics of your new ride, how about a shot of the helm, complete w/steering wheel and control box.You did say it was a binacle mount shifter ,did you not.Have you made any mods to it?
With that being said I hope we don't have to share with the fellow members ,what is in the box I shipped.Even more so what parts that they will replace. Am I coming in loud and clear Mr. Levine??????????boat dr
     Sender of parts to make you boat look like a white man owns it.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:32pm
you getting any work done today B.D.?
insults are a form of flatery
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:32pm
I feel honored to have gotten some sneak peeks at this setup before it was "made public" so I've said this before and it bears repeating- congrats on an AWESOME project. Can't wait to see it this summer.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:34pm
you getting any work done today B.D.?
insults are a form of flattery, oh by the way its LaVine
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:44pm
Eric, is that a capital "v" like Vice Grips.Don't punch my buttons Eric,or the newest post on this site will be:
And Now The Rest Of The Story.....
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 2:47pm
Looks awesome Tim, great craftsmanship. I do have a funny feeling you're no where near done with the mods though. Seems there are quite a few here with that afliction. Sure is rewarding along the way though isn't it.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 3:31pm
Well done Tim! Can't wait to see it this summer.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 12:09am
WOW!! Awesome job, i think those stainless drop pipes are my favorite.
Well done!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 12:24am
I'm jealous......... I alway's have wanted my 95 to sound like my previous 88. You have definitley broken some new ground on your boat. It's a "one off" original, that many will copy in the future.

Well done !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 5:59am
Tim,

That is so awesome and it must sound even better than it looks. Nice Work!
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 6:13am
Tim,

I will no longer post any pictures of my 79. I am embarrassed to say that I think your engine well and engine are cleaner than most of the spaces in my boat. You are quite the person of detail. Nice job. It sure is beautiful and I'm sure it sounds even better than it looks.

-John
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 7:31am
JMurph, I know what you mean. I put the Hi-Teks on mine and the rest of my exhaust pipes/hoses look like a patch quilt compared to this thing of Tim's. I'm just gonna 'glass my engine box shut until after Green Lake. Tim, if I was a boating GIRL, I'd be all over you, cause you can obviously do magic.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 8:27am
Tim,

Very nice. What a clean and sleek look. I agree with the rest, I'd be embarassed to open my engine box!

Two questions, as I'm not familiar with the "newer" models: What are the two things on either side of the pipes that look like vent scoops? Also, I've never seen the copper line going from the stern to the rudder box. Is that for cooling/lubrication?

You're gonna have fun with that boat!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:22am
The two "scoops" on either side of the pipes are the lifting rings, during the sloped transom time they took the single lifting ring at the top, replaced it with a tow point & moved the lifting rings to below the swim platform. I believe this to be true, but i also may be talking out of my ass...who knows?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:23am
Tim, As I mentioned previously, it does look good however I do have one concern. I know it was a tight fit and wish there was a better way for you to route the steering but your modified steering arm will put a lot of overhung loading forces on the stuffing box and rudder shaft. The original arm was bent downward not so much for clearance but to primarily equalize side loading on the box. I can't really tell from the picture but is there enough clearence to get the arm bent downward so it will go under the port exhaust pipe?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:23am
Tim,

you da man!!

See ya at Green Lake!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:24am
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

Two questions, as I'm not familiar with the "newer" models: What are the two things on either side of the pipes that look like vent scoops? Also, I've never seen the copper line going from the stern to the rudder box. Is that for cooling/lubrication?

Those plastic covers keep exhaust from bubbling up through the lifting ring holes in the swim platform. CC was WAY AHEAD of the industry in controlling exhaust gasses and getting them away from passengers. Heck, here we are 17 years later and the other brands are finally putting exhaust warning stickers on their boats. Note the rubber sealing strip as well that goes all the way across the transom where the platform meets the boat.

That copper line is a custom-installed remote grease fitting for greasing the rudder box. Some serious slalom drivers like greasing the rudder box, but I don't see a need for it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:25am
I can't stop staring at that exhaust... i think this might be my new favorite thread. mmmm

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 10:07am
Okay...grease fitting and lifting rings! Now I get it. Thanks guys. It helps to ask questions here so as not to appear ignorant in person!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 10:33am
I can't see the pix but steering arm moment is negligible compared to the forces the bushing sees from the rudder underneath. The rudder effort is neutralized by material forward of the pivot, but the total side force it develops is significant and a lot higher than one can produce with the sterring mechanism.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 1:55pm
Tim,

I just found this thread and looked at all the pics and man what a fabulous job. That must have been quite an undertaking. I thought my project was tough but at least I had a shop manual to follow along and guide me. How long did it take you from start to finish?

How hard it would it be to install just one of those polished exhaust tips? Great Job!!!

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 9:08am
Wow, lots of nice comments to come back to after my long weekend- thanks everyone!

Eric, trust me- shes no trailer queen! These pics are a few weeks old- I meant to take a bunch over Memorial Day weekend but I was too busy hot lapping the lake.

It does sound good- at least to me. Our lake is pretty small so Im not sure my neighbors will agree, especially when it comes time for some early morning barefoot runs this summer.

Jeff, total time invested with the project wasnt too bad, actually. Doing the floor last year was much worse. There were about 3 weekends worth of my labor, but it did take a lot of planning- sourcing parts, hardware, etc. Plus the time spent at the exhaust place, machine shop and coater's. About 6 weeks start to finish. Cost was a lot more than expected, but that somehow always seems to happen. Installing a single angled tip on your boat wouldnt be hard- lots of places sell the 4" parts (mine are Eddie Marine). The mounting holes likely wont line up (mine used 3 bolts instead of 4), but I sealed everything with Boat Life Caulk.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:26pm
I want to bump this up since JBear's back. He made it perfectly clear that the stock exhaust note on these boats was unacceptable.

Im still tuning, but performance is improving. Carpet and interior will slow progress on the motor in the coming weeks, but I should be back on the water before the 4th of July.

New pics:

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic