NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got pipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got pipes?
    Posted: July-14-2012 at 9:59am
I believe I paid 2200 for the polished set, gave me a break from 2500. Good performance and sound, very limited selection of performance marine manifolds in the 351w world out there.
Brian
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Where did the exhaust manifolds come from?? and are they just for looks or was there performance gain??

I'm not the most qualified person to answer but those are Hi-Teks. They are (or were) made in Australia. A few years ago, several guys on here (TRBenj, Boat Dr and JoeinNY and possibly some others) ordered some. They supposedly help performance through better flow. They are pricey. The price is mentioned in some old threads, but I dont have time to look right now. I am thinking $1200 to 1600 a set, but I could be way off. There was some story that they farmed out the manufacture to China or something like that, that may have compromised the quality, but I dont recaall that story exactly, but there hasnt been as much interest lately.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:26am
hello??
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 2:04pm
Where did the exhaust manifolds come from?? and are they just for looks or was there performance gain??
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

Do you have any pictures handy of what you did with the tiller arm / steering setup?

Im afraid I dont...

Well, you know what to do next time you have the fuel tank out.

On a side note, I was thinking about taking out my Invertaflo muffler and converting to a Y-pipe on my '91. Your project was spectacular, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go through all that yet on mine.
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:07pm
I'm late to the party.. First time looking at this thread. What an incredible job, I am very impressed! Looks like this project was alot of work. Those custom SS exhaust pipes are so awesome! Thanks for sharing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

Do you have any pictures handy of what you did with the tiller arm / steering setup?

Im afraid I dont...
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:47pm
Do you have any pictures handy of what you did with the tiller arm / steering setup? I'd love to see the mods you made to fit the 2nd hose through.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:54am
Ha, I must be getting old.

Those shiny little canisters aft of the H-pipe are the mufflers... small but effective. Ive had them for a few years now, but pretty sure I got them from Rex Marine.

No, no performance data with the H-pipe only... I was trying to conserve exhaust hose, so I did it all in one shot. Its gotta be a performance enhancer though, as I dont imagine the mufflers are contributing anything.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:49am
If it's too loud you're too old!

Tim Benjamin turns 30 and next thing you know he is putting mufflers on all his boats.. blasphemous! Who would have thunk it.

Heck, I didnt put mufflers back on my boat till I was 35..

Maybe I am just not seeing something here? Where and what mufflers are you using? No performance data with just the H-pipe only?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:04am
They are nice but on a Mustang I think using them under the floor
would give you clearance issues.
I did use them on the manifold connections.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:51pm
those clamps sure look nice!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:35pm
Yep, they do cost more, $4.73 was the most reasonable I could find in all stainless. That would hurt with 36 clamps!
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 4:11pm
Ive heard great things about those T-bolt clamps... but theyre tremendously expensive! I will have a total of 36 clamps in my exhaust... a standard set up would be a little more reasonable (~16).
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 3:52pm
Tim,

I was looking into using these on my exhaust overhaul:
SS T-Bolt Clamps
What do you think?

Noel
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:30pm
The invertaflows and hull huggers are both pretty quiet... going from memory, I couldnt speak to the audible differences.

I expect to notice a big difference once I get behind the boat- people from shore said they noticed a huge difference. The loudness never bothered me from the driver's seat.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:06pm
Were the invertaflows a little louder than the hull huggers? I never was happy with the sound of our Sport (GT40) and I wanted a little more bark, so we recently pulled the hull hugger out and I was really suprised how much louder the boat is now. It sounds awesome from the shore and anywhere in the boat, except for the backseat. In the back, it is borderline annoying unfortunately. I wish there was some middle ground, but this will have to do.

And from one dirty bilge to another...you're excused.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:37pm
Bringing this thread back to life...

After several years of threatening to do it, Ive finally taken the next step on this project. As Raindog would say, I neutered my boat. That is to say, I added some mufflers. The original intent of this modification was to enhance performance and improve the looks... the added noise was a byproduct, though not necessarily an unwelcome one. While fun for a time, I decided that since this is my dedicated ski boat, it should be a little more civilized. From now on, the BFN will not have to suffice when I get the urge to hear some straight pipes.

While I had the floor up, I decided to try adding an H-pipe as well, to see what the effects would be. Im happy to report that the mufflers did a great job of knocking back the sound by a considerable amount- not quite to original invertaflow levels of quiet, but distinctive bark is much reduced... and I can actually hear the slight whine of the transmission again. The H-pipe seems to have offset any performance loss that the mufflers brought to the table, as I picked up about a needle's width of rpms at WOT (maybe 20rpm?).

Please excuse the dirty bilge and lack of double clamping... more are on order.

RedSquad7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSquad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 7:03pm
Lol! Yes Larry, I meant this thread- the last post was in '09 on it! I'm gonna check your link now. I'ts been hit and miss with the search. Thanks for posting brother.
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Eric, is that a capital "v" like Vice Grips.Don't punch my buttons Eric,or the newest post on this site will be:
And Now The Rest Of The Story.....

Your killing me Doc this is better than a soap !!! hahahah
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 5:43pm
Dan,

When referring to "this older thread" I don't know if you were referring to this thread where Tim converted to duals or if you meant another thread, so I don't know if you saw this one or not where a guy got rid of the invertaflo with a y-pipe.

RedSquad7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSquad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 3:04pm
So has anyone actually removed the invertaflo and built a 2 into 1 straight thru exhaust? I read some earlier ideas in this older thread and wondered if its been done. I am really wanting to ditch the invertaflo- Just not sure I want to fab and create a true dual like trbenj did. I LOVE his setup but would really like to avoid cutting another exhaust opening and modding the steering system. Ideas? Pics? Items needed? Shouldn't be too hard right?
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2009 at 1:48am

Any after pics of the bilge around the rudder arm?

Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 5:13pm
Matt was correct- CC went to all composite in '93.

To make the Y-pipe that I linked to work, reducers will need to be added at the inputs. I '92 and later boats got the 3.5" risers, all earlier boats got 3" (like my '90). All single outlets were 4".
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 5:02pm
I heard it was 1995. I could be wrong. Its happened before, will happen again.

I don't see why those 4 inch y pipes wouldnt work.

From each of your risers you run about 3-4 feet of tubing. Bring the tubing from the right riser over to the left side where they both meet with the Y pipe. Then adjust the length of the exhaust hose going to your tailpipe to match with the Y pipe bottom and use some clamps to ensure no movement...instant v8 sound
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

Off topic - but when did CC stop using wood stringers?

On topic - didn't see any of the pre-built products on that site that looked like they would work.   Did I miss it?   

I have heard that 1993+ boats do not have wooden stringers.
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 1:42am
Off topic - but when did CC stop using wood stringers?

On topic - didn't see any of the pre-built products on that site that looked like they would work.   Did I miss it?   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 10:35pm
Awesome...you just made my day!

Now I can look at boats with non-wood stringers!
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 6:37pm
yes basically. Remove the 2-1 muffler and replace it with the 2-1 stainless steel y pipe that TRBenj suggested and you will get v8 sound.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

It would sound like the exhaust in your signature p71. Its just a smallblock with stock mufflers, that did very little for reducing the sound. The 2to1 mufflers make those boats silent IMO and rob them of the great sound that these motors naturally make.

I however am more partial to Big Block sound...see signature

I bet tims sounds great with all that stainless steel in there.

In other words...remove the 2-1 muffler and that wonderful V8 sound will appear?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic