Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking for creativity

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for creativity
    Posted: June-08-2007 at 2:57pm
ok guys, here's the situation. put som gel on the boat a few years ago including the stern. didnt really have a choice but to gel over the serial number. i'm looking for numerous thoughts on getting the number back on - all suggestions welcomed

thanks
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 6:55pm
Back on or uncovered?
hasbeenskier
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 7:38pm
i think ive got to get it back on - after i gelled i got the dremil and attempted to scrap the gel out but i screwed the number up royally doing that.
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 7:53am
Stang,

Harbor Freight sells a steel punch set, I think they have 3 different sizes available. Get the one that is closest in size to the original numbers. Hold the individual numbers and letters with vise grips and heat them with a torch, then carefully press into the gell over the obscured number. Practice on an area not easily visible first. Just a thought.

Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Quigs85SN2001 Quigs85SN2001 wrote:

Stang,

Harbor Freight sells a steel punch set, I think they have 3 different sizes available. Get the one that is closest in size to the original numbers. Hold the individual numbers and letters with vise grips and heat them with a torch, then carefully press into the gell over the obscured number. Practice on an area not easily visible first. Just a thought.

Brian

The gel will only burn. It is not a thermal plastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 8:55am
here's a couple options i'm currently debating - i found some ebay sellers that can make me 3/4 x 4 1/2 plate with the numbers engraved extra deep. from this i could either:

A - just paint the plate as near to the correct color as possible and inset and epoxy on or:

B - mold plastic ( i have some a two product that does this) negatives with the plate and attempt press the numbers back several times till i'm satisified with the result

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:25am
77, Some states will issue a I.D. tag with the registration #'s and hull #. If so, you could just put it on a stringer next to the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:33am
77, In louisiana modification of the HIN will result in the impounding of said boat.........Think about this before you start a process that you cannot stop...
Here they will issue you an X number,it is a stickey sticker that you attack to the transom over the existing HIN...
Just remember, You Have To Prove That Is Your Boat,No Numbers No Proof......boat dr
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:42am
i will have to see what oklahoma requires. but purpose of project is to get the numbers back on it in a method that will end up as clean as possible.

i have little doubt that i can get it done i'm just searching for the beat possible methods

worst case scenerio would be to wet sand the red off the ID back down to white knowing that the the red inside the numbers would remain and be clearly visable. when i attempted to dremel the red out of one of the letters it only scewed up the manufactures code and thats not even included on my oklahoma title

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 12:35pm
77, I think you really need to look at something from the state. Anything you come up with I think will look home made and be questioned by any law enforcement officer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 9:13pm
get a type-set of the HIN in the correct heigth and style. lay a fressh coat of gel and while wet press the type-set letters into the gel and let it set up. Take a sheet of ply wood or lexan and practice using the gel and setting the HIN
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 11:52pm
79'

i like that method - i have little doubt that with enough practice/attempts that i can get it right

thanks

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 8:35am
I think I agree with Chris if he is talking about a "stamp". If can get a "stamp" made in the correct size and style, then grind some of the existing gel away to allow depth or thickness for the new HIN. Coat the "stamp" with wax and just as the gel is kicking off, apply the stamp to creat the HIN.

But, at this point, I would bet your state frowns on this type of practice. You would be better off just applying a sticker. Selling the boat in the future will be difficult possibly.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:14am
Smooth over the numbers on the hull, and make it look like they were never there. Get a metal plate, and have it stamped with the numbers, then attach it to the stringer, next to the motor. The boat is 30 years old. How can anyone argue that it's not supposed to be like that? Our '67 Barracuda had a metal plate with the numbers attached to the top of the stringer on the starboard side of the engine. I dont remember it having numbers stamped on the transom.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 10:54am
Riley - thanks only problem with that is that in 72 regulations were issued that required HIN's to be on the transom and in a particular format - i do have an update see additional problems with my HIN

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic