NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White steam / smoke

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White steam / smoke
    Posted: July-05-2007 at 5:24pm
Have about 25 hours on a rebuilt engine. Whenever I take off, I get some white steam or smoke from the exhaust for a few seconds. If I am going quick, it will continue, but smaller amount. Yesterday, it seemed to be just a little more then usual.

I have read in other posts that this is water related. Manifolds and risers are new with the rebuild. Engine temp never gets over 160, but risers can get hot (wouldn't want to keep my hand on there for real long).

Does the steam / smoke mean water mixing with exhaust too soon (leak somewhere)?

Could I not be drawing enough water - enough to keep engine temp OK, but not enough for manifolds and risers - thus normal water in manifolds and risers is creating this steam.

Just in case it matters: Engine seems to run fine. Does not have mufflers.

Thanks all!
Brent
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 9:04pm
You should be able to lay your face on any part of that engine,exhaust cool to the touch.Riser gaskets wrong type,what brand are they.Raw water pump low on output pressure,or restricted flow to 1" elbows on exhaust. sumpthin' ain't right.......boat dr
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 9:08pm
I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is normal for some steam to come out of the exhaust with the water. Your temp gauge reads average temperature. There are pockets in the cooling systems (mainly in the heads) where temps will get hotter than the temp gauge is reading. Also, water does not have to reach 212 deg F before it starts to evaporate. 212 degrees is the boiling point (at sea level). Steam can be produced by water evaporating from the road or your driveway on a sunny day.

You stated that your engine is running fine, right? If it makes you feel better, you can unbolt your manifolds from the heads and look for water trails (rust) in the exhaust ports.

95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 9:32pm
My question is are the gaskets between the riser and manifolds right. The gasket should have had three openings maybe 5 if the two side ones where split but the port/water pasage towards the front of the riser and manifold should have been blocked off, if it is blocking the rear or no ports at all then that is what is causing your problem with the hot risers.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 9:37pm
boat dr- what sealer, if any...do you like for riser gaskets? pcm 454 and sorry to interupt...thanks
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 9:42pm
Doc, I was posting my reply above at the same time you were posting yours. Looks like we disagree a bit here. Maybe where we live could be a factor in your different view points. I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. Tuesday it was 114 deg here. At that time my boat hadn't been in the water and running for the past 48 hours. The engine was hot to the touch just from the heat from the sun. It does not overheat and hasn't had any temp related problems since I've owned it. What is the water temp where you live? I've spent most of my life in southern states and all three of my inboard boat's manifolds where warm to the touch after the engine was ran for a while under load.

Former boats:
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 10:40pm
Nutty, there should be no steam or water vapor coming from the exhaust, period.That water, dumped from the cooling system should only be 160 degrees, or whatever thermostat is in the block,i suggest a 140.
Don't matter where you are and how hot the outside temp is, the riser should be COOL TO THE TOUCH,if yours are not you have issue also.            boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 10:59pm
I'm with Doc and unless you have the motor box up to heat up the cast iron then you should be able to place your hand on the riser at any time might be a little warm to touch but not so much that you could not leave you and there all day long without any discomfort.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:30am
79, yes the motor box was up, my engine is painted black and the sun was high in the sky at this time. My engine was hot without having even ran that day. But I still don't think that there is a problem because I or bwill can't hold our hands on our manifolds all day. I'll agree that at idle and under light loads that they will be cool to the touch (and mine are). But under loads, everything including the manifolds will heat up. Water circulating in the block is kept in the block until the thermostat opens. If the water is 160 deg coming out of the engine and mixed with hot exhaust from the riser, I would think that the riser could reach hot enough temps to feel uncomfortable at times.

Think about this,....how hot is your water heater in your house set to. I bet it's not over 140. Can you take a shower with your water set all the way to the HOT setting? Also, next time you pour yourself a cup of coffee, look at the steam that emits from the cup. I'll bet that's no more than 160 degrees either. Just a few thoughts! Brian

Former boats:
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:32am
79 - I know what you are talking about with the manifold/riser gaskets. The engine rebuild shop put them back on, so I will check that to verify they are on correctly.

Doc - No way I could keep my hand on there for long. I believe the risers and manifolds were PCM OEM. I got them from JA Chamberlain here in FL.

What tests can I do to check for raw water flow: maybe right out of the raw water pump and/or the manifold elbow?

Thanks for the help.
Brent
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:41am
bwill, disconnect the outlet from your raw water pump and let it run into a 5 gallon bucket while your boat is in the water. Only run the engine for a few seconds. In 20 seconds or less the bucket should be full.

Former boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:48am
Here's another thing you can do,... pull the plugs from the rear of the manifolds (one at a time) just below the risers. Screw in a pipe fitting with a 1" hose fitting and a piece of hose attached. Run that into a bucket while running. You should get roughly 1/2 of the amount of water than in the test above.

Former boats:
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 1:13am
Nutty,

Are both of those tests at idle?

Thanks
Brent
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 2:41am
nutty, you must have a different riser set up than me. The exhaust does not mix with coolant water till the neck on my risers.If you have ever looked inside the riser you will see how the system works,water and exhaust are mixedjust before the area that the hose slips on to.
The purpose is that no water can flow backwards into the exhaust system. Therefore the heat or lack of that you fell in the riser crown is only coolant and not exhaust.
My heater is set at 120, and my exhaust dont blow steam.bwill clearly says he cannot hold his hand on the riser,this tells me he has a problem with the cooling of the riser, This could be as simple as a gasket.But with the advice you are giving I would be suspect that it is correct. Just because you don't think yours is too hot don't add to his misunderstanding with your inability to realize you may have a problem too.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 7:16am
Doc, I'm trying to take a logical approach to bwill's issue. To quote him he said "Engine temp never gets over 160, but risers can get hot (wouldn't want to keep my hand on there for real long)." I took that as him saying that he CAN touch the manifold but wouldn't want to hold his hand on it for a very long time. This to me doesn't sound like it's that hot. So maybe there's a difference in the way we two are interpreting what he is saying.

My current boat is a 95 Malibu with a 350 Magnum Mercruiser. Yes the manifolds on this boat are quite a bit different than the PCM ones. However, my last boat (88 Ski Centurion) used the same type manifolds as the late 80's PCMs. When I first bought this boat I pulled the manifolds and cleaned them up and pressure tested them then replaced the riser gaskets. I have looked inside the risers and I know how they work. Water from the cooling system flows through the outside passages to keep them cooled. However, the manifolds and risers are made of cast iron which conducts heat (from the heads and exhaust). So you can't expect them to always stay as cool as the water that is flowing through them.

One more point about steam,.... if water can come out of the facet at 140 degrees with a little steam in its presence, why can't it come out of your boats exhaust at 160 degrees with a little steam?

Former boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 7:22am
Originally posted by bwill14 bwill14 wrote:

Nutty,

Are both of those tests at idle?

Thanks

Bwill, this amount of water is with the pump turning at approximately 2500 RPM. Do you know the condition of your raw water pump? New impeller? If you find that your impeller is missing any blade material, chase the hose going to the thermostat and find the missing pieces. Get them out of your cooling system.

Former boats:
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:37pm
Thanks Nutty,

Will perform those tests this weekend. I replace the impeller this spring. The one I took out was completely in tact (in pretty good shape). The pump itself, I don't know.

Trying to think through logically, if the pump takes longer then 20 seconds to fill the 5 gallon bucket, then pull the water intake line off the pump side of the trans oil cooler and test again emtying the bucket to pin point the raw water pump or a restriction before that point?
Brent
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 1:05pm
Sounds like you understand. Let us know what you find if anything.

Former boats:
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 8:08pm
Filled the 5 gallon bucket in 21 seconds from the raw water pump (took hose from there off therm housing). Didn't have an extra pipe fitting for the back side of the manifold, so I took the hose off the 90 degree inlet of the manifold (drivers side) and tested. In 20 seconds the bucket was not half full, but more then 1/3. Both tests done at 2500 rpm.
What do you think?
Brent
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 9:53pm
If your gaskets are installed correctly between the manifolds and the risers like Doc suggested in an earlier post I believe you are okay based on the information you gave me above. After you get your boat in the water and run it (at moderate speeds) for a little while, leave the engine running at idle for a minute or two and then put your hand on the riser. See how long it takes before you have to pull your hand away. Time this and tell me how long. Of course this is no scientific test, but I'm just curious. I'm going to do the same with mine. Get back to this thread with your results and happy boating! Brian

Former boats:
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 4:48pm
Do you get smoke/steam all the time? It could be weather related. I had steam/smoke last Friday. I thought I had an issue but then I looked at the all of the other boats, they had more smoke/steam than normal.

It had just rained/thunderstormed and there was fog coming off the ground as well.

I think certain combinations of humidity/water temp and air temp can cause this.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 7:14pm
Mark,

I do it get it consistently, when really taking off or near full throttle. It is low 90s everyday here now and pretty humid. Although I noticed the steam/smoke on one other Mastercraft this weekend, I don't see it on others.

Nutty,

I live on a canal. We went out wakeboarding for a while today. Came back down the canal at idle for a couple minutes. Opened the cover with the boat still at idle. Could only keep my hand on the top of the riser for 2-3 seconds. It felt pretty hot. Engine temp gauge said 150.

Just trying to think of anything else that could matter:
-I installed the electronic ignition from skidim over the winter, but did not put a new cap or wires on.
-Even when warm, if I turn the boat off (to swap skiers, etc) and then restart, I have to usually give it a little throttle. Without it, it will kick, but more time then not, will not start. A little throttle and it fires right up.
These probably don't matter with my steam/smoke issue, but just thought I would mention in case.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 8:10pm
Are you sure there isn't any impellor blades stuck in the manifolds? I drilled an 1/8" weep hole in my thermostat and mine stays on 140 all day, any speed.
Tim D
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 8:18pm
Tim,

The manifolds and risers were new with the rebuild. Have not had any impeller issues since then. Plus, it would be both of them. I checked the gasket between riser and manifold visually. The tab that sticks out is on the back side. Looked on Skidim and that would put the blocked part of the gasket on the front side above the water in line.

Any thoughts?

Brent
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 11:47pm
one of the best investments a boat owner can make is a handheld digital laser pointer thermometer, i use it for troubleshooting many different things, as in this case you could monitor the temps with pin point accuracy, I pick out dead cylinders with it, you could watch your stuffing box, i also use it for bearings on the test stand, you could easily check your hubs on your trailer.
Once you have one you will figure out the thousands of uses for it. you also could walk by the bedroom and point the laser at the wife to she if she"s ready JK... they are nice to have and i use mine daily, today i checked to see if a catalytic converter was clogged
eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 11:53am
Brent,

I think you may have the gaskets in backwards. According to skidim's description, the blocked port goes towards the exhaust outlet.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by bwill14 bwill14 wrote:

Just trying to think of anything else that could matter:
-I installed the electronic ignition from skidim over the winter, but did not put a new cap or wires on.
-Even when warm, if I turn the boat off (to swap skiers, etc) and then restart, I have to usually give it a little throttle. Without it, it will kick, but more time then not, will not start. A little throttle and it fires right up.

1) set initial timing 9-10 degrees BTDC.

2) Set air screws to best idle in forward gear. you need this load to applied to set these right else you else up too lean at idle to even restart. You will realize hands-off starts and your off-idle throttle responce should also improve.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 1:47pm
Marks,

I think you are right. Somehow, I had in my mind that the blocked port is in the front. I will fix it tonight and see if that solves.

GottaSki,

I have never set timing before, but would love to know how to do it. I have wanted to post my restart issue, but can already see 79's post about not messing with the carb adjustments until timing is set. How hard is setting the timing?

Thanks,

Brent
Brent
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 1:50pm
I just wanted to add to the above post that the engine shop did set the timing when it was rebuilt. After reading my post, I wanted to make sure it did not imply that timing was never done at all.
Brent
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 7:12pm
Bwill, just got back from Rocky Point in Mexico. From your post above I must agree with the post from the more senior members concerning your riser temps. If 2-3 secs is as long as you can hold your hand on the riser, that does sound too hot. Especially since you just idled through your canal for a couple mins. From your water flow tests, it sounds as though everything is okay with your pump. Double check the gaskets and reply back.

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic