NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White steam / smoke

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 8:49pm
Nutty,

Thanks for catching up. I think I may have it. Somehow I had in my mind that the blocked section of gasket between the riser and manifold went in the front (water inlet side). It appears I had that backwards. Hope to get them turned around tonight. Will keep you posted.
Brent
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 10:38pm
the riser gasket blocks off the front passage not the rear passage or the two side passages. If it is blocking the rear passage then all of the water almost instantly goes out the riser and does not circulate in the manifolds. Call Vince and double check me but I'm almost 99% sure that's the way it should be.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by bwill14 bwill14 wrote:

I just wanted to add to the above post that the engine shop did set the timing when it was rebuilt. After reading my post, I wanted to make sure it did not imply that timing was never done at all.

it will need to be reset as the motor and timing chain break in it will move on you and at least needs double checked to make sure it hasn't changed any.
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:02am

That is what I thought also. When Marks said that, I checked Skidim's website. It says:

"GSKT EXHAUST RISER
PCM FORD AND PCM GM SMALL BLOCKS
The blocked water passage goes towards the exhaust outlet. Same Gasket 3" and 3.5" Risers."

I'll call Vince in the morning to make sure. Had to order 2 new ones from them tonight anyway. Took the risers off tonight, but no way to save the gasgets.
Brent
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 12:37pm
Just talked to Richard from Skidim. He confirmed that the gasket blocks the back (exhaust outlet) side. He did go on to say the V drives and closed cooling systems are different, but it always goes to the exhaust outlet side.
Will put them on correctly as mine were backwards. Hopefully this clears up the steam issue.
Brent
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2007 at 2:18pm
Put the new riser gaskets on with the exhaust outlet side (back) blocked. It was better. Still got some steam / smoke at full throttle, but not much. Did not have any when accelerating. Definitely better.

Came back down the canal (couple minutes at idle). Risers were not as hot as before, but still hot. Could hold hand on there for a few seconds, maybe 10, but not indefinitely.

My raw water pump test results from a few days ago were:
With boat in the water, hose from top of raw water pump filled a 5 gallon bucket at 2500 rpm in 21 seconds.
Hose going into driver's side manifold filled just under half of the 5 gallong bucket in 20 seconds.

Manifolds and risers are new.

Any thoughts.
Brent
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2007 at 4:45pm
Now I'm confused. The blocked portion of the gasket goes toward the stern or bow of the boat? I'm sure mine are blocking the stern side. Richard and skidim.com say to put them on that way, but 79 is rarely wrong.

I've got the same issues as above. My risers aren't super hot but I wouldn't leave my hands on them for more than 10 seconds. Also, at idle, my temp rises to about 155 (140 thermostat). Steam comes out regularly.

I guess I'll start all the testing. crap.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 2:25am
Went out today and checked temp of risers. I can't leave my hand on them for 5 seconds. Did some of the above prescribed work today.
1. checked water pump flow. ok
2. chased all hoses from water pump through thermostat to manifolds. ok

I've never burned up an impeller since I've owned the boat. Now I'm wondering if the PO did and there are pieces in the manifold or something. What do you suggest next? I guess checking to see if the riser gasket is turned the wrong way, but I'm nearly certain it's turned so the blocked portion is toward the stern...I remember following skidim instructions when I changed them.

This is starting to bug me and I didn't even know it's a problem. I did notice that there was steam coming through many, many boats' exhaust tonight though. Does humidity matter? We have steam coming off our grass most summer mornings here...
Either way, according to you guys, my risers are way too hot.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 12:08am
I have a similar problem with the boat I just bought. Did any of you guys ever come up with solutions? This thread seemed to just stop.
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 2:47pm
Azeus17,

I don't think I ever solved anything on mine. I still have a steam issue. I don't think mine is just weather or climate related, as it does it when it is hot or cold, wet or dry outside. We pulled the boat to Lake Lanier in GA this summer and it even did it there.

While the steam is there most of the time at acceleration, I don't seem to have any other problems. Boat runs pretty good and temp gauge stays from 150 - 165. We are just using it as is.

Over the winter, I may swap out the raw water pump and hoses from the intake to the pump.

Have you run the raw water pump test? That can show you a lot.
Brent
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 3:51pm
No. After reading the thread last night, I am going to try it tonight after work. I am confined to working on the boat in the day light as I have no garage or lights of any sort other that flashlights.

I also have to pull all the hoses downstream from the impeller to see if I can find anything. As with you, my temp will hold steady at idle, but after a high speed run it is hot enough that I can not leave my hand on more than a few seconds.

The gasket issue also cought my attention. Where do you find diagrams on skidim.com for the way they are supposed to be. I have not pulled the manifolds yet to see what they look like inside, but it would be helpful to have that info when I do.

Thanks,
Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 4:01pm
Another thought, and I know the weather conditions have been discussed, but the water temp where I am running is nearly 90. At that temp, can I still expect the engine temp to stay right near 160? I even put a 140 tstat in, but the temp still hovers just north of 160 when at idle and lower RPM's and goes up to about 190-200 after a high speed run and then drops back down.
Boats:
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 4:20pm
azeus17, Water temp makes no difference,Thermostat opens at 140 to expell the hot water, as cooler water reaches the "PILL" thermostat closes till block water is once again 140 and it cycles again.
If temp continues to climb it is because you are making more heat than the cooling system can remove, it is a simple process.
There is a number of variables that will cause this;
Restriction in raw water in:
Stopped up tranny cooler
Bad circulating pump
Restiction in discharge from raw water pump
   1 impeller blades
   2 bad hoses
   3sediment of rust
Leaking head gaskets
Raw water pump sucking air at the seal,low flow.
Temp should remain at thermostat temp regardless of load........boat dr
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 6:55pm
Boat doc

I think I disagree with you on this one some days I get steam along with my water coming out of the exhaust. I know I have no cooling issues as I can hang on to the manifolds at idle and WOT all day long.

Now I agree with you that if he can not hold onto his manifolds and risers he has a problem. But once he can hold on to them and he gets a some steam from the exhaust outlets then he is ok.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 7:04pm
Mr. Bragg,nowhere in the post do I refer to the steam or water vapor from the exhaust.
This post was about the TEMPS he is reading after the 140 install,
North of 160@ idle
190 to 200 after WOT
This ain't right.........boat dr
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 8:16pm
Boat doc,

I started another thread about an overheating problem I am having, but have been watching this thread too. I have overheated twice in the past month, first time temp gauge went up, second time it didnt. Ran boat several hours between the two incidents and it was fine. I noted what you said about leaking RWP. I replaced my impellor this spring(Chev 305 w/OMC conv - big impellor-big fins)
I had to fashion my own new gasket. It drips ever so slightly with garden hose hook up. Drip goes away when engine is running. Since the overheating just started this year (after the pump servicing) could that ever so slight a leak be indicative of enough air getting in to cause a problem. Note: I ran over 20 hours this year before the problem showed up. If you have a moment, look at my "overheating" thread that has some more detail. I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Larry
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 10:50pm
Nutty, there should be no steam or water vapor coming from the exhaust, period.

Boat doc

I apologize I miss read your earlier posts.

I will have your measurements that you asked for tonight..
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 11:05pm
75, if it leaks under pressure...it'll leak under vaccuum(sp?)
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 11:46pm
All the hoses on my 351 are pretty old, but when I took them off they looked clear. Nothing blocking flow. I will probably replace them anyway. (Frayed/cracked ends) I should be able to do the pump tests this weekend.
I was reading on Skidim, to test the circulating pump you screw a barb into the engine block drain hole. Can anyone tell me where this drain is located? It was getting kind of dark when I was searching around so I could have missed it, but I could not find it.
Also, is there a way to test the trans cooler to see if it is blocked? I suppose that is accomplished with the 5 gallon bucket impeller test. I removed the hose going into the cooler and I could see some kind of grate with holes in it, but no sure if that means it is clear.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am leaving for a boat trip 9/9 and would really like to get this taken care of before then.

Thanks everyone,
Adam
Boats:
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:11am
This is incorrect ,an impeller type pump would rather suck air than water, and a small air leak at the seal will cause a substantial loss in cooling flow,causing an overheating situation.
The same pump will most likely exhibit no external leaks nor any visible symptoms as to the integrity of the seal.....boat dr
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:55pm
So I did the RWP test and it filled the bucket in 15-20 sec. So that rules out anything before the pump, right? Including a blockage in the tranny cooler? I also tested the circ pump by screwing in a hose barb in the block drain plugs and it shot a lot of water out, so I don't think the circ pump is bad.
The risers were staying very cool, although I did not even pull the boat off the trailer, even though the temp was reading 160.

How hot should the block get? I know Boat Dr says you should be able to lay your face on any part of the engine. I assume that means the block too. The risers were cool, but the block I could not keep my hand on for more than 5 seconds. Do I have a blockage inside the block somewhere? Is there a way to reverse the flow and blow out any crap that might be built up? Oh yeah, the PO ran on the inner-coastal and by the looks of things was not the best at flushing out. The pipe that goes from tstat housing to circ pump is VERY flaky w/ rust.

Sorry about the long post, but I really need to get this figured out fast.

Thanks in advace guys.
Adam
Boats:
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 11:18pm
The block and the risers are cooled by the same water,both should be the same temp. Have seen cases or "insulation" from silt & sediment collecting at the rear of the block restricting or stopping water flow around the cyls.
Would not be hard to check, remove a "FREEZE PLUG" on each bank at the rear and look. I know this sounds like a long shot, but stranger things have happened....boat dr
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 11:31pm
at this point I will try anything.

Thanks
Boats:
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 10:31am
FREEZE PLUG? is that a hidden message?
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:18am
eric; you use that point and test thing on Mrs. Lavine every day? Wow.... you are my new hero.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2007 at 7:09pm
Well, took her out again today and I have mixed emotions. On one hand the temp gauge read 160-180 the whole time. On the other hand the block and oil pan and valve covers were hot as hell. Not sure exactly the temp ( I have the IR thermometer OTW, bought on line). I am still getting some white smoke out the exhaust. Here is what I have done so far:

tstat
Impeller
temp sending unit
RWP test-fine
Circ pump test-fine
cleaned strainer

I have all new hoses on the way from DIM and tomorrow I am going to take the tstat out all together and see what happens.

I am still thinking that there is a clog somewhere in the cooling lines in the block. I don't know enough about the route they take though. Anyone have an idea where they might bottle neck and allow a build up?
I have an idea to unclog whatever might be there. Can anyone tell me if I can do this without harming the motor. If it screw a fitting into the block drain and attach the hose to it and take the inlet hose off the circ pump and try to reverse the water flow. Has anyone tried it or know if it would harm in any way. i.e.- water in the cylindars???

Maybe everything is fine. Vince at DIM seemed to think that if I have good flow everywhere, it should be fine. All I read on this site, though, is that engine should be cool enough to lay your hand anywhere.

HELP!!!!
Boats:
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 7:34pm
Azeus17,

It sounds very similar to mine. My temp gage stays around 160, never goes over 180. Raw water pump seemed fine. Yet, white smoke / steam continues and risers get pretty warm. Couldn't keep my hand on there for more then 7 - 10 seconds after running for a while.

Keep me posted if you find out anything new.
Brent
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:59pm
Azeus17,

"All I read on this site, though, is that engine should be cool enough to lay your hand anywhere."

This statement is not completely correct. Since you have a 140 degree thermostat, this means the water in the block will be regulated to a temperature of around 140 degrees. To put this in perspective, most home hot water heaters are set for 130 degrees. 140 degrees is considered scalding hot. This doesn't necessarily mean that the entire engine will be 140 degrees. The bottom of the exhaust manifolds, where they attach to the heads, does not have a water jacket. This area gets very hot. Also, since these engines do not have oil cooling systems, the oil temperature may be 10 to 20 degrees higher than the water temperature, meaning the oil pan may be hotter than 140.

The exhaust risers are not subject to the thermostat. All excess water from the raw water pump is dumped into them along with the output water from the block. As others have said, the exhaust risers should be cool enough to touch all day long. If they are running too hot to touch, it is usually a sign that the raw water pump is not keeping up.

One other note. 160 degree thermostats are common in the PCM 351. Are you sure yours is 140? You may have ordered a 140 degree but received a 160 degree. You might want to consider testing it.

Hope this helps,
Mark

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by marks marks wrote:

One other note. 160 degree thermostats are common in the PCM 351. Are you sure yours is 140? You may have ordered a 140 degree but received a 160 degree. You might want to consider testing it.

This has been mentioned before, but the 143 'stat seems to be recommended for the 351w. Thats what I run in my boat, and my temp stays between 150 and 170 (but usually reads 160). My aluminum valvecovers get extremely hot and I almost always get a fair amount of steam at WOT. I consider that to be normal.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:43pm
Tim,

I get some steam too in my 89. Some days more than others. Temperature and humidity must come into play. We are mixing water with very hot exhaust gas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic