NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acme 540 prop question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, I'm sure if you had found out what your neigbor put on his Tique you would have mentioned it. If you run into him, ask him for me. Thanks.

Pete, its definitely a 540. I told him exactly what to buy and where to buy it. I havent been in the boat yet (so I dont know specifics), but Ive seen the thing screaming across the lake.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 6:53pm
I've read the threads on the 540 and it seams like it's the right prop to have on the right boat and engine. Me being new to the CC family here's my question. I've got a brand new ACME 540 13 x 12V with a .150 cup on my 85 Barefoot Nuatique 454.
Does that sound like a good setup?
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

I've got a brand new ACME 540 13 x 12V with a .150 cup on my 85 Barefoot Nuatique 454.
Does that sound like a good setup?

Maybe if you do a lot of wakeboarding. Otherwise, Acme has a new prop (13x14, I think) that was designed for the big block boats. I imagine you'd spin that 540 a little too much.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 8:13pm
TRBenj
Thanks for the advice. I saw the 540 used on a lot of Mustangs and smaller boats than mine, most with 351's. That's why I'm asking. The guy I bought the boat from said he worked with ACME to set this prop up for this specific boat. He used the boat mostly for footing, which is what I bought the boat for, mainly endurance racing.
We will be testing it this week with some 200lb footers and see how it performs. I'll let you know.

What are you guys with BFN's running?

BTW, I've got two 13 x 13 1" three blades (not sure of the brand) in good condition if anyone needs one.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 11:03pm
Tullfooter,
The BFN originally came with a 14x14 prop on it. Tim is correct the acme that I am running is 13x14 RH with .135 cup.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:19am
Oh no!
Sounds like I may have to pry open the wallet for a new prop if this doesn't perform.
Friday 6:00. Boats, barefooting, burgers, and beers. I'm not sure of what order.
Hope you can make it.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:02pm
Kinda late in the thread, but my old Tique that I bought new in 78 had a 12x14 Federal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 3:16pm
What RPM are you running WOT? This weekend I was spinning 4300rpm at 45mph.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:30am
Tullfooter
I am running a little over 4600 at wot. Speed not 100% sure of yet. I would say about 46-48mph. Did not get a chance to put a GPS on it yet.

I was only getting 4200rpm at wot before I put the hi-teks on, even with the new acme prop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:55am
I'm thinking the engine may be tired. I'm going to nurse it through the season and then figure out what to do this winter. I figure you've got a couple ideas after what you and Eric did with your boat. From all the posts I've read from the GL trip, that boat of yours is a workhorse.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 6:42pm
Tull,
How many hours on your boat? I definitely recomend getting rid of the points. Go with a new breakerless ignition. We can run them side by side and just see how tired the old girl is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:09pm
Pushing 1600 and I'm pretty sure the engine has never been rebuilt. This winter is going to be a learning experience when I get into this engine. I know just enough to be dangerous but I've got an ace mechanic who is chomping at the bit to get into this engine. He's got a guy who's a 454 freak. Kind of scares me because I'm looking for performance AND more importantly, reliability.
Are you running A/C MR43T plugs? And where did you get your ignition parts from? Wire sets?
Tull
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:28pm
Hey Tullfooter (sorry for the thread hijack),

Do you live in the NW Detroit area?

I live in Grand Blanc and boat quite a bit at Pontiac Lake.

I'm just starting to get my feet wet ... barefooting, and have no one to coach me.

Maybe we could get together sometime and you could give me a few pointers. My boat or yours, I'll bring cold ones!

I do not have a CC yet... I have a 86 Ski Eliminator with Tower and BI Tower Boom.

We usually go out 3 or 4 times a week... my schedule is pretty flexible. Let me know if yoou are interested in getting together.

Thanks.

Joe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:42pm
Joe
I live about 1 mile from Pontiac Lake. My sub is across from the Home Depot. Problem is, the lake I live on only allows 90hp outboards. My BFN typically runs on White Lake.
We've got a tough summer schedule with our show team but let me know when you'll be out this way and maybe we can hit Pontiac Lake and do some stump jumpin. I've never been on PL, but I've been to the Pontiac Lake Inn many times. Best cheeseburger I've ever had. Cold beer too.
When do you usually head out?
87BFN and I are trying to put something together for Aug 12th on White Lake. I'll keep you posted.
Tull
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:46pm
Joe
Looking at your profile I'm guessing you've been to Alpine Valley. My family practically lives there during the winter.(snowboard)
Tull
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:56pm
Tull,

Thanks for the response. We'll have to get together... keep me posted on the 12th thing.

And yes... I know Alpine well. I spend my winters teaching at Mt Holly and Boyne (for a few weeks). Teach Skiing and Snowboarding.

I'll let you know our PL schedule and if you can make it out that would be great. Are you available weekday mornings at all?

My email is joedelbecq@gmail.com

Talk soon.

Joe

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 8:05pm
Joe
Weekday mornings are tough, usually at work by 7:00am. But let me know, might be able to sneak out.
Mountain or Highlands. We usually hit the mountain. Crazy Days are a must. We stay in Boyne City.
Email SRKirchner@aol.com
Tull
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic