Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper Plate
    Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:36pm
I think my Damper Plate may have broke yesterday.

I would suspect when a damper breaks it happens right away with no advance warning?

After about three hours on the water yesterday the boat started making an unusual sound especially at lower RPMS coupled with a varying level of low to moderate vibration. I drove the boat in about a mile at an RPM that reduced noise and limited vibration.

Prop is excellent condition, fluid level is good. I am probably due for a strut bearing because I’m still running the same bearing after eight years and three hundred hours?

Eric, I understand you sell an aftermarket Plate that may be superior to the original part. Whats the price on your plate?

If anyone had a plate break please let me know the symptoms.

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:09pm
Stang, It's a Sachs brand plate. I got mine from this company just because I didn't want to bother Erik!

Sachs drive/dampner plate

It does need to be trimmed down for the smaller flywheel on a 302/351. I have the Sachs on my 312 as well. I really feel it is the premium as compared to the one that Skidim sells. That brand is the one that broke on my 302!

Edit: A broken spring will give you the vibration you have described. You may also notice some unusual noises when shifting fro forward to reverse due to the slack created from broke spring(s).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:25pm
Pete, I also have a Sachs dampner, and yes i did bother him. I figured I would return the favor.
What is the deal with the diameter issues when used with the 302 flwheel?Have all my ducks in a row to change out my old style 01 for the new 04 style. Eris built it to handle the extra HP and abuse from that 331.
This should complete my internal mods,yea!!!!
Did you send it to a machine shop or just grab the side grinder??????????
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 6:07pm
side grinder- thats what i was thinking also.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Pete, I also have a Sachs dampner, and yes i did bother him. I figured I would return the favor.
What is the deal with the diameter issues when used with the 302 flwheel?Have all my ducks in a row to change out my old style 01 for the new 04 style. Eris built it to handle the extra HP and abuse from that 331.
This should complete my internal mods,yea!!!!
Did you send it to a machine shop or just grab the side grinder??????????

Doc, The dia. of the "wings" were larger than my flywheel and were into the ring gear area. I didn't want to take a chance of them hitting the bendix on the starter. In the Sachs description, it even states that on some flywheels trimming is required. I chucked it up in the lathe first but I got worried. I didn't like the way it chucked up plus with the intermittent cut it seemed like it wasn't going to stay in the chuck. I layed it out very carefully, cut it in on the band saw and cleaned it up on the belt sander. I changed out the one on my 312 Y block about 5 years ago but that being a older engine the flywheels were bigger and it just bolted up. As far as balancing, I didn't bother because there really isn't much meat out on the tips so the weight is low. I did lay it out with a dial caliper and layout dye and was extreamly careful on the clean up on the sander.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 9:01pm
Pete , this is the reason we keep the old dogs around, they may not hunt as hard,but the knowledge they contain........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 11:37am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Pete , this is the reason we keep the old dogs around, they may not hunt as hard,but the knowledge they contain........boat dr

Doc, You always have the words of wisdom and the good old sayings!! Do you ever run out of them??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 1:22pm
Pete as we were talking at G/L you mantioned that you had simular issues with the Petit paint you used.There was a "Dollar Word" that you used to describe the defect in the paint.
Petit has called me back and wants to look and try to rectify their screw up.Am trying to be armed w/as much info as possible,any help needed..........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 1:41pm
Doc, My only problem was with the first quart of Kelly Green that was 'flocculated" probably due to improper mixing or the wrong mix sequence when they made it. Something in the paint "kicks" out of solution and turns into a small solid that can't be filtered out. I've used lots of Easypoxy since then and haven't had a problem. I do love the stuff for it's easy spraying and excellent results. I have tried Interlux Brightside and was not impressed with the gloss. The two companies have merged since then so I have a feeling that the two paints are now the same product. Good luck with your problem but my gut feeling is that you may have sprayed too heavy a wet film coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic