Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quadrajet help...anybody?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quadrajet help...anybody?
    Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:54pm
I am having problems with my quadrajet on the 78 cuddy.

I purchased a rebuild carb and installed last year. Boat has ran well up until a week or so ago. I was running in some rought water, 3 to 5's, and when I entered the harbor and idled down the motor died. It started right back up and ran rough. I revved it up in netural and it came out of it. Now this idle problem has been happening more and more, and finally the motor died and I was unable to keep it running. After looking under the flame arrestor, fuel was pouring into the primary fuel chamber with the motor stalled. I shut off the fuel supply and dried the primary out. Restarted the motor and was able to just get it back to the dock. Docking this 23' boat without power was not fun.

I am guessing that somthing must be causing the needle not to seat? I have never torn a carburator like this down and not sure where to start. Any ideas?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 4:09pm
Rochester Quadrajets are not any harder to understand than a Holley. But they can be a little tricky to get back together because you have to ensure everything stays in it's proper place when you fit the airhorn on. The float and needle and seat are right beneath the airhorn but they are not part of it. They sit losely in the fuel bowl section of the main body 'til the hornhorn is bolted on.

If you want to give me a call, I'll try to talk you through getting the airhorn off. This is the most tricky part of this carb (other than putting it back on). My name is Brian and my number is 480-365-8989.   
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:11am
Brian, Thanks for all your help over the phone! Hope you avoided the storm.

After removing the air horn, I found alot of white looking scale in the bottom of the fuel inlet chamber. This must have been getting stirred up and fouling the needle and seat. I cleaned it all out the best I could and reassembled. Started motor up on garden hose and seems to run fine. Hopefully get to water test it this week.

I purchased this carb from an online rebuilder and it seems they did a poor job rebuilding. There was no "white scale" on the inlet filter only a slight bit of rust scale. The rest of the scale came from inside the carb. This carb had only been on the boat for little over a year after the rebuild and it was stored with fuel stabalizer so I don't think that I was the cause of the scaling. I think that it was not cleaned properly before rebuilding?

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:28pm
Anytime Matt. Glad you got it back together and working. I hope she runs well for you when you take her out. Good luck and call me again if you need anymore help. I'll doo what I can for ya. Take care! Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 1:54pm
Gasohol is a son of a gun today with carbs. This white scaly substance is becoming pretty common place. I had a similar problem with the edelbrock on my 302 after proper storage this year, blamed it on the fact that it wasnt a holley carb and resolved to throw it in the garbage and rebuild one of the holleys on the shelf and dump it in. However the same scale has now shown up in two of my 60's era mercury outboards this summer, talk about a pia 3 carbs to remove clean and then resync, either I had a bad batch of stabil around winterization time or they need to reformulate the stabil for the ethanol rich crap being passed off as gas today.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:18pm
Joe, this stuff sucks, I thought that the rebuilder missed it and I was ready to bitch at them thou would be of little help. Any additive that would help? Much as a hate to add to the cost of fuel. What is this going to do to my new EFI 4 Stroke?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:14pm
use premium gas and not the cheap stuff.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 6:46pm
Some sea-foam will also help that premium gas out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:16am
No ethanol in premium ??? Do you run Sea-foam in every tank?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic