NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom Ski
    Posted: September-04-2007 at 10:57pm
If you go with the drop a ski option,as you are learning to slalom ski, you can have another boat just off shoreline, come out and pick up the dropped ski shortly after you drop it. No need to search, no hazard to other boaters or skiers. Just my 2 cents.
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:25am
Get a cheater rope, it has a wide bridle to help keep your ski straight as you are getting up. I feel that this is much easier and safer than dropping a ski. My wife learned to slalom on her first try. She had only double skied one time before she tried the slalom. I always use a gradual start (so I don't jerk the handle out of the skiers hands) but apply plenty of power once the skier is moving so they don't drink to much water.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 11:56pm
Hahahahah thats right. Notice I have the "correct craft". I always kid him and call it a mastercrap.. Ill admit the slalom wake is very nice compaired to my old 2001.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

My dad is about 190 and on a connley concept his 285 horse mastercraft has a hard time pulling him up.

There's your problem right there

I wasn't gonna go there but I'm glad somebody else did.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 5:41pm

My dad is about 190 and on a connley concept his 285 horse mastercraft has a hard time pulling him up.

There's your problem right there
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by scottb scottb wrote:

My wife goes full throttle when I am skiing and she is po'd because of something I said. You would think I would have learned my lesson the first couple of times.

Get a Perfect Pass - saves lots of marital arguments. BKH
Livin' the Dream

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 5:19pm
My wife goes full throttle when I am skiing and she is po'd because of something I said. You would think I would have learned my lesson the first couple of times.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 12:46pm
My daughter weighs 115 and I don't even go quarter throttle for her slalom deep waters and she starts with both feet in on a 63" ski. I'm 200 and also start with both feet in on a 67" ski and 3/4 throttle is more than sufficent.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 12:44pm
True I just like to get out of the watter as fast as possible thats my preference haha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 12:27pm
Zach,

It is a matter of technique, not horsepower. Like many of the others, when I grew up it was common to ski behind outboards as small as 35 or 50 horses. If you can get up behind one of those, you can get up behind anything.

As Gottaski suggested, just have to adjust to the preference of the skier. BKH

Livin' the Dream

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 12:08pm
It must take you forever to get out of the water BKH unless your using a big ski or something. My dad is about 190 and on a connley concept his 285 horse mastercraft has a hard time pulling him up. I retract somewhat of my prior statement but anyone that weighs a deecent ammount benifits from hammer. Smaller people dont need alot but I like to be pulled up with full throttle. I only weigh 125 right now. My boat kind of sucks right now because it has a 4 blade with to much pitch so anyone behind it requires full hammer. We have always just used the hammer down approach for any decent sized person. But I guess you have 70 more horses than me BKH soo your 3/4 throttle is probably like my full throttle.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 8:50pm
We had to "hammer" down with the 35 horse Evinrude.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 8:35pm
I would have to say that the many times I have pulled slalom skiers, including myself being behind my boat, if you put the thottle full on "hammer style", you will rip the ski handle right out of their/my hands.

I always get the rope tight, put it in gear at idle to slightly drag the skier and then hit it with about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. This, of course, was not the case when we were skiing behind my 1973 avenger with a 85 hp Evinrude......... definitely hammer the throttle in that case.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

And you cant take off to fast when pulling up a slalom skier Just hammer it.

total crap, adjust the launch to suit the skier's preference.

That one really had me puzzled as well. I'm over 230 lbs and don't have to throw the hammer to come up on a slalom ski. BKH
Livin' the Dream

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 7:31pm
I'd hate to be holding the rope behind my boat if someone hammered it?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 7:15pm
Joe, i couldnt think of the correct word,
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 6:46pm

And you cant take off to fast when pulling up a slalom skier Just hammer it.

total crap, adjust the launch to suit the skier's preference.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 5:49pm
You guys are making me feel great by saying that you mom, fat friend, paralyzed brother in law, mentally hanicapped uncle and favorite pet got up on their 2nd try.

I am still waiting to give it a second chance. We went out this weekend but there were just to many peope around to drop a ski. I think wed. night might be the next try.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 4:16pm
Wow We always teach people to ski by deep water slalom starts. We never drop them. The hardest part is getting up soo once ur up its not bad as long as you lean back. Just gotta keep that ski strait keep those knees bent as much as possible and I wrap my arms around my legs to keep myself stedy in the water untill they hit it. I just taught my fat little buddy how to slalom in 3 tries a few weeks ago. And you cant take off to fast when pulling up a slalom skier Just hammer it. I hat at tournements when they dont hammer it to get skiers up out of the water. Thats my input hopefully you will be skiing like a pro soon.
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Jon, make sure you drop the right ski

That might be better stated...

make sure you drop the correct ski...

depending on your forward foot choice!

Joe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:45am
Jon, make sure you drop the right ski
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 6:30pm
Quinner, good driver and great boat exposed poor form and atrophied muscles of the skiier. The gloves did help keep the handle in my 'Montgomery Burns' like hands.

Once up - felt awesome. Except I missed the 6th ball. 5 for 6 on that run

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 5:39pm
Jeez Doggy you are making me feel bad, IIRC it was putting on the gloves that did the trick on try #6. In reality I did start Steve out with what would be a medium pull and continued to use less and less throttle each try thereafter. He got it and then ran 6 balls at 32off, unbelievable!!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:49pm
I have to testify to nice and easy to get out of the water.

I skied a lot when young. Started skiing again this year. Second time skiing in 15 years and I got up deep water slalom behind my Classic on the 2nd try.

Then I skiied behind Quinners boat with same ski. It took at least 6 tries. I swore I was being pulled by a friggin jet! He had to put it in "clapped out, sodden, Bayliner mode" before I could get out of the water. After that, it was awesome. First time behind a real ski boat. Wah-Hoo! Too bad my forearms were too trashed to take a second run.

Learned the lesson again last weekend when using a new wakeboard. Easy does it did it again.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:25pm
I am hoping to give it a run this weekend but am not too sure if the forcast is going to cooperate.

Thanks for all of the tips.

The Lake, Yea the boat is all back together and running great. It was a tough process but it was all worth it.

I think that I am going to definetly try and drop a ski.

82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 11:46am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

A wide ski of correct length will make the deep water starts much easier.

So you about ready to ditch that 4'x8' sheet of plywood and get on something that resembles a slalom ski?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 11:34am
Another good point on a slalom start/skiing is using the correct size ski as well as proper boat speed, this chart shows some basic guideline's. The higher performance the ski generally speaking the harder it will be to get up on and in some cases it may actually be harder to ride if it is beyond your skill level. A wide ski of correct length will make the deep water starts much easier.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 10:22am
Hollywood check your e-mails and let me know if you recieved it, i replied from my shop on my brothers computer and im not sure if it went through   eric
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 3:15am
Well I ustacould, seems like I always let the back foot kinda drag while getting up and then put it in the rear step. I got a Connolly "Big Daddy" for my birthday from the kids. I'll see how that works. It looks big as a carrier deck!
Bob Ed
83 2001
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 12:40am
When I teach women to ski I tell them that they should set themselves up in the water as if they are holding onto a branch for dear life while peeing over a cliff. They all seem to get up on the first or second try. Go figure.

I have been getting up on one for years now, but I had to start with 2 and lift the drop ski foot to get used to the balance. When first getting up on 1, I had a spot on my ski that I focused on so that I was not distracted by anything, just keeping a straight line. I still drag my rear leg - use it as a rudder for getting up. Then I get my toes on the rear of the ski and slowly "crab walk" my toes into the rear strap. When making my turns on 1, I focus my sight on where I want to be, not what I need to go through to get there. Seems to make crossing the wake insignificant, I never feel any bumps.

As far as other boat traffic, we used to have the driver stay about 150 feet off shore and have the skier swing out toward shore and "aim" the drop ski toward the dock. Most boats won't go that close to a shoreline with docks and you have a landmark on which to base your search for the drop ski. They almost always come to rest fin up.

When I get a little tired or in an extended boat turn, I will put the handle in the crook of my elbow and grab the opposite shoulder of my vest to rest and regroup until I can start making cuts again.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic