Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom Ski
    Posted: August-23-2007 at 1:32pm
I want to learn how to slalom and I need some tips. I tried to get up for the first time on a slalom a coupld of weeks ago and all I managed to do was drink a lot of the lake.

I will take any good pointers.

Thanks
Jon
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 1:36pm
Jon, Have you tried dropping one ski yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 1:43pm
No, I skied on 2 when I was 10 years old and then moved on to kneeboard and now wakeboard.

I did get up on 2 a couple of weeks ago just to make sure that I could even do that. I was going to drop one but there was other boat trafic around. It is going to be tough to find a good place on the lake where I go to drop a ski. I would really like to just learn how to get up on 1.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 2:08pm
Ya gotta walk before you run. Drop one first so you get the idea what it feels like to balance on one ski. I've never seen anybody do a slalom deepwater start before learning how to slalom first. If you want to continue to drink half the lake just keep doing what you're doing.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 2:08pm
Jon,

Keep skiing on 2, while riding lift the ski that would not be your forward foot slalom (same foot as boarding), from there if you can then drop the ski and work on skiing slalom. IMHO it is easier to teach someone to ski on 1 then work on your starts.

Some of the basics on slalom start are keep your arms extended in front of you, rope should be on the same side of your ski as your rear leg/foot, do not pull in on the rope, forward foot knee in your chest, slowly rise out of tuck through the pull with your shoulders over your foot, butt out and knee forwards just a bit. Rear foot in or out is debatable, try both, if out once up don't be in a hurry to get foot in the rear toe right away, set it on the ski and when stable slip foot in toe plate. Be sure your driver does not over throttle, slow easy throttle is fine, if the rope is coming out of your hands or you are going over the top start a bit slower.

You can do it!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 2:10pm
Your ski have a boot or a stap for the rear binding?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 2:28pm
quinner, I will try to drop one next time I go out but I think part of my problem is that I am having the driver take off to fast.

62, Just a strap. I know it is sad but I have owned a boat that says SKI on the side of it for a couple of years and not ever even had a ski in it. We went on vacation with the whole family a couple of weeks ago and my mother bought a pair of cheap skis at walmart. I am sure they are far from the best.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 2:34pm
If you find yourself going out the front on the start you are standing up to quick.

If you find the ski wobbly when you are up and a lot of spray out the front, put some more weight on your front foot.

Tim
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

62, Just a strap. I know it is sad but I have owned a boat that says SKI on the side of it for a couple of years .....

no problem on the ski... the only reason I asked is you also have the option of dragging the "back" leg in the water.. can help with balance.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Herdski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herdski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:05pm
We have always had luck teaching slalom skiers with a two handled rope. If you stick you ski right between the two handles it keeps your ski steady. Lean back and let the boat do the work. If you get two much weight on your front foot the ski wants to go all over the place. Good luck!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Herdski Herdski wrote:

Lean back and let the boat do the work. If you get two much weight on your front foot the ski wants to go all over the place. Good luck!!

You will need a lot of luck to be successful with these tips ^^^
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Ya gotta walk before you run. Drop one first so you get the idea what it feels like to balance on one ski. I've never seen anybody do a slalom deepwater start before learning how to slalom first. If you want to continue to drink half the lake just keep doing what you're doing.

My mom. Up on first try ever, and not very athlethic at that. The trick is she did what she was instructed to do.

Knees bent, arms straight, let the boat pull you on top of the water. Never changes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:40pm
You got to be competent on 2 skis first, then drop one until you can get your foot in the rear boot, and once you have balance on one ski and can cross the wake and generally ski on one, start working on your deep water start.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

We went on vacation with the whole family a couple of weeks ago and my mother bought a pair of cheap skis at walmart. I am sure they are far from the best.

For what you're doing, those skis will work fine. Do like Quinner says and just lift the ski a few inches off the water. Try both ski's. One will feel more comfortable than the other one. The ski(foot) that is on the water when you feel most comfortable will be the forward foot when you try to drop one. Once that is determined, you can try to drop the other one. Take the boat boat speed up a couple more MPH. When you drop the ski, don't be in a hurry to put your rear foot back on the ski. Just leave it drag around the whole lake if you need to. You'll find that as soon as you try to put your rear foot behind the front foot, you'll probably go down. That's where most people have the most issues. Finding your balance on that single ski is the trick. After you ride around for a while just dragging that rear foot, you'll become more balanced and comfortable on the ski. SLOWLY move your trailing foot behind your front foot and just set it on the ski. Don't try to put it in the stirup yet. Get used to the feeling of having both feet in line. That will take a little getting used to also. As you get more comfortable, you can ease that rear foot into the stirup. Once you get comfortable on the ski and dropping one, then feel free to start learning deepwater starts. If you have a boom, that is a great aid for learning the drop, getting your balance and finally the deepwater start. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:53pm
I got a pair of Red Obrian combos in my garage if anybody wants them, make a donation and I'll send them to you
   eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 4:09pm
eric, check your email
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Herdski Herdski wrote:

We have always had luck teaching slalom skiers with a two handled rope...

Haven't seen one of those in ages. I think my dad still has one.
When you get tired, you can lock the handles together behind your back and take a rest, right
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I got a pair of Red Obrian combos in my garage if anybody wants them, make a donation and I'll send them to you
   eric

Ski Team is always looking for old skis for drop skis. Bring your kids over some time and I will take you guys out.

Tim
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 7:09pm
Hey John,

Maybe I missed it, but you obviously have your boat back together. Did your project work out OK?

Good luck on the skiing. If you keep the ski between you and the boat you're up!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 9:59pm
Try to go outside the wake on 2 skis towards the side you are going to drop . This will help you with your balance because it wont allow the ski to wobble back and forth when you do finally drop { probably about 15 to 20 feet out side the wake }. Then drag your foot, on the top of your foot and slitely behind your other foot that is in the ski . This is the way I learned to go on one ski . Give it a try . I hope it works for you .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 12:40am
When I teach women to ski I tell them that they should set themselves up in the water as if they are holding onto a branch for dear life while peeing over a cliff. They all seem to get up on the first or second try. Go figure.

I have been getting up on one for years now, but I had to start with 2 and lift the drop ski foot to get used to the balance. When first getting up on 1, I had a spot on my ski that I focused on so that I was not distracted by anything, just keeping a straight line. I still drag my rear leg - use it as a rudder for getting up. Then I get my toes on the rear of the ski and slowly "crab walk" my toes into the rear strap. When making my turns on 1, I focus my sight on where I want to be, not what I need to go through to get there. Seems to make crossing the wake insignificant, I never feel any bumps.

As far as other boat traffic, we used to have the driver stay about 150 feet off shore and have the skier swing out toward shore and "aim" the drop ski toward the dock. Most boats won't go that close to a shoreline with docks and you have a landmark on which to base your search for the drop ski. They almost always come to rest fin up.

When I get a little tired or in an extended boat turn, I will put the handle in the crook of my elbow and grab the opposite shoulder of my vest to rest and regroup until I can start making cuts again.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 3:15am
Well I ustacould, seems like I always let the back foot kinda drag while getting up and then put it in the rear step. I got a Connolly "Big Daddy" for my birthday from the kids. I'll see how that works. It looks big as a carrier deck!
Bob Ed
83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 10:22am
Hollywood check your e-mails and let me know if you recieved it, i replied from my shop on my brothers computer and im not sure if it went through   eric
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 11:34am
Another good point on a slalom start/skiing is using the correct size ski as well as proper boat speed, this chart shows some basic guideline's. The higher performance the ski generally speaking the harder it will be to get up on and in some cases it may actually be harder to ride if it is beyond your skill level. A wide ski of correct length will make the deep water starts much easier.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 11:46am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

A wide ski of correct length will make the deep water starts much easier.

So you about ready to ditch that 4'x8' sheet of plywood and get on something that resembles a slalom ski?
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:25pm
I am hoping to give it a run this weekend but am not too sure if the forcast is going to cooperate.

Thanks for all of the tips.

The Lake, Yea the boat is all back together and running great. It was a tough process but it was all worth it.

I think that I am going to definetly try and drop a ski.

82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:49pm
I have to testify to nice and easy to get out of the water.

I skied a lot when young. Started skiing again this year. Second time skiing in 15 years and I got up deep water slalom behind my Classic on the 2nd try.

Then I skiied behind Quinners boat with same ski. It took at least 6 tries. I swore I was being pulled by a friggin jet! He had to put it in "clapped out, sodden, Bayliner mode" before I could get out of the water. After that, it was awesome. First time behind a real ski boat. Wah-Hoo! Too bad my forearms were too trashed to take a second run.

Learned the lesson again last weekend when using a new wakeboard. Easy does it did it again.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 5:39pm
Jeez Doggy you are making me feel bad, IIRC it was putting on the gloves that did the trick on try #6. In reality I did start Steve out with what would be a medium pull and continued to use less and less throttle each try thereafter. He got it and then ran 6 balls at 32off, unbelievable!!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 6:30pm
Quinner, good driver and great boat exposed poor form and atrophied muscles of the skiier. The gloves did help keep the handle in my 'Montgomery Burns' like hands.

Once up - felt awesome. Except I missed the 6th ball. 5 for 6 on that run

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:45am
Jon, make sure you drop the right ski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic