Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

!!!Project 80 Ski!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: !!!Project 80 Ski!!!
    Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:40am
Im almost all the way through the tear down proccess right now. Tomorrow I will be washing out the hull and prepping everything for the "beast" to go back in. Heres some of what Ive captured so far. I have no one to be snapping pics while Im working so forgive me if there are gaps in the progression of pictures.

There a little charred but its all at the machine shop now.

These are all my goodies so far....More to come!!!
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:46am
oops forgot this

"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:58am
Let us know how the alum heads work out, there have been many posts here about them. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but I am sure the end result will be sweet.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:12am
I like it that the heads and others are set on the sofa for the all important pics!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:16am
Quite a project!!! I think I'm doing good when I wax the boat and change the oil.

Good luck with it.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 3:29am
nice stuff... I have to ask you one thing, is that a marine carb, if not take back before you use it, and get the right one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:17am
yes it is the Holly 750 cfm Marine Carb....Thanks for looking out though

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:22am
Dude; I liked it to that all the stuff was laid out on the couch...Mr. Marine must not be married.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:34am
Nope....HAPPILY Single!!!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:44am
I like those heads, what did they set you back??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 5:08am
with shipping about 1200... they're only 1.90s. The 351W has notched pistons stock BUT I wasnt sure that it was a deep enough notch to facilitate 2.02s....So I played it safe. I have roller solid lifters, and roller rockers on the way. MSD ignition and Crane Fire Ball Coil.....Ive been trying to contact the doc about the Hi-Teks, someone posted about him getting a good price. Thats the next investment.

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 5:10am
oh and by the way the ski lime is def one of the baddest SNs I have EVER seen!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:44am
Nate, looks like quite a project. Definitely keep us posted on the results. By looking at the cam, I would assume that you're converting this to a standard rotation motor?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 11:23am
Do Aluminum heads require a closed cooling system like the ZR6?

Good luck with your project, many new cool parts!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:30pm
I call that stuff gingerbread, watch the gear drive they dont like high RPM's
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:44pm
If that's gingerbread, what's meat and potatos?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Nate, looks like quite a project. Definitely keep us posted on the results. By looking at the cam, I would assume that you're converting this to a standard rotation motor?

Its and 80 so the motor is already a standard rotation. CC didnt change that until 88

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I call that stuff gingerbread, watch the gear drive they dont like high RPM's

I think with the right setup the gear drive will do well. I helped a friend at home build a 383 stroker with a gear drive that achieved 450hp and will touch 8 grand if you want it to

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do Aluminum heads require a closed cooling system like the ZR6?

Good luck with your project, many new cool parts!

I read all the threads on heads before I made my purchase and it seems to me that I will be ok with raw water on aluminum heads. Especially if I flush the system periodically. And considering the limited # of times my boat will be on the water I think Ill be fine!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by MarineSRT8 MarineSRT8 wrote:

Its and 80 so the motor is already a standard rotation. CC didnt change that until 88

?? 80 had reverse rotation motors.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 8:51pm
FYI only...my 79 was RH and so is my 88; Did they put LH motors in 'em back then?
1988 BFN-sold

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

FYI only...my 79 was RH and so is my 88; Did they put LH motors in 'em back then?

Now your question kind of confuses me.

A Standard Rotation Boat
- Spins left (counterclockwise) when looking
   at the the prop from the back of the boat.
- Spins right (clockwise) when looking at the
   flywheel from the front of the boat.

A Reverse Rotation Boat
- Spins right (clockwise when looking at
   the prop from the back of the boat.
- Spins left (counterclockwise) when looking
   at the flywheel from the front of the boat.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:26pm
Not my intent!

I understand RH and LH...you guys cleared the terminology up for me a while back

However it's put, both my boats were RH...opposite a car...clockwise facing the stern

Backfoot asked if he was converting to standard rotation. I took that to mean going from RH to LH. I asked because I thought all of the older CC's were RH.
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:28pm
Get the camera out again, give us a good shot of the dist. drive gear or a shot of the prop.Either one will tell the direction ,LH or conventional/ RH reverse rotation.
Some the parts you have bought will work.The rear seal is specific to rotation,as is piston rotation.The cam is a LH, or convetional,and will not work with a RH or reverse rotation dist.
The oil pump is the same for either rotation.
Hope you did some research on direction before you jumped into this rebuild...boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:40pm
boat dr, again please pardon my ignorance...I understand the rear seal and cam being directional. I don't understand the piston rotation part.

Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:42pm
'79 is missing a field day here?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:47pm
SRT8...Are you going to rebuild that motor or are you just going bolt all that stuff on that motor, because I have a new set 30 over, keith black pistons for sale if you need them!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 10:31pm
The block is at the machine shope right now, and taking into account the shape of the cylinders and the pistons I will not have to do any boring at all. But if that situation presents itself I will keep you in mind. Guess I started quite a thread with the rotation comment. I know my boat is a standard rotation motor for sure. I hope I led no one in the wrong direction by the statement I made.

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 11:36pm
Figured you had to be single. You are taking on quite a job. As you can see...guys here love these threads...me too...I just don't understand what all you guys are talkin' about.

Being a Marine must pay well these days...as it should.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2007 at 12:48am
No the pay still sucks. My mother passed away a little over a year ago and left me some money, so I am going to name my SN after her. I purhcased the boat on exactly the day she passed away. See she taught me how to ski when I was little and she was an amazing skier herself. I figured its the only way for me to spend time with her now that she's gone.

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic