NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

american skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: american skier
    Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:48pm
If CC originally made a correct craft American Skier model, why did they allow American Skier to become a naufacturer name brad???
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:58pm
They never registered the name.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:13pm
Looks like the American Skier boat company started in '76 and CC's model ended in '79. They sure did make a name for themselves though.
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:33pm
Copyright Infringment didnt mean anything in those days. Different car manufactures shared model names back and forth in the day, but these days people can sue for anything. Ford wants to sue, or collect royalties, all websites for carrying their name Ford in the blue oval as part of the main logo. People sue Phillip Morris for giving them cancer due to smoking for thirty years.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:19pm
i know that they aren't a Correct Craft but, does anyone have any thoughts on the American Skiers that were built by Elan. I heard that they were from the same molds as the American Skiers made during the late 80's. As I recall they were great slalom boats.

There is a nice looking 2002 Elan American Skier for sale near me. Good price, low hours. I was thinking about it

Any thoughts on the quality, driveability, skiability of the Elan American Skier? Any input appreciated.

Don't worry I'm not giving up my correct craft!

Thanks!
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:41pm
I'm Pretty sure Backfoot100 owns one, and I recall BKH stating on a prior thread that they were considered the Cadillac of ski boats at one time or another.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:56pm
Ed is the man to ask about American Skier the manufacturer. Hell he wheeled off who made what and who owned it when so fast one day it made my head spin.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 8:10pm
I have an 86 American Skier in my stable (That is pre Elan days though). It is a great slalom boat. Nice flat wake, you hardly notice it at all. Just don't get used to it & then get behind the older Nautiques!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 9:41pm
I was wondering if there was some weird split off from CC. You a pissed off designer or something. Doesn't sound like that is the case. I figured if any one knew what the deal was they are here... Wonder how many people bought an american skier thinking they were getting a CC?
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 10:41pm
I am sorry, I hope your not refering to me about being pissed off, I tend to come across that way when I refer to how people treat others these days.

I do know that back in the day they didnt have problems sharing names though...
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:42pm
I do have an '86 American Skier. That was before the Elan days. They started up in '76 in a plant in Opa Locka, FL. by Ken Elkind who was a big time offshore boat racer. He retired and believed that he could build a high quality ski boat that would be the envy of the tournament boat industry. That ran until sometime in the early 90's and the plant ended up closing. They reopened a few years later at a plant in Kentwood, LA. Ron Tanis was the man who bought all the rights and started producing the boats again with the American Skier name. He had all the original molds and was one of the executive officers employed by Elkind. Sometime around 2001 Ben Favret (a Pro Skier) somehow acquired American Skier and changed the name to Elan boats. They then were known as Elan American Skier. I don't know of any Elan boats that were made after '03 I believe. I really don't know the status of the company presently. There is a web site but everything in it hasn't been updated since '03. The boat was considered by many to be the Cadillac of tournament inboards. They are extremely well made and didn't skimp on anything. I have the original price sheet on my boat and it sold for just under $20K in '86. That was probably the reason they didn't catch on very well. Granted, extremely high quality but also the price to go along with the quality. They also never produced more than 400 boats per year that I'm aware of. They were completely made by hand from the ground up. Compare that to the production numbers and prices of a CC, MC and a young startup company by the name of Malibu and the public wasn't ready for the Cadillac of inboards with the Cadillac price.

In '76, the original American Skier model was the Advance and that was the exact same mold used right up through 2003 on the Elan Lazer. The Elan Pro, Elan Eagle Air and Elan Volante models were seperate modified Advance molds. The original Advance was that good from day one. My boat is the Barefoot model which also used the Advance hull. Very few of these made each year.

I would not hesitate to buy a Skier myself, but I'm definitely a little biased. I would absolutely love to find a 2001-2003 Lazer. They tipped the scales at 2100 lbs. and came equipped with a Blue Thunder Marine 320HP engine. A boat that light running that much HP would move out pretty well I think.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:50pm
Great info Eddie.

Is it my eyes or is your boat listing to the passenger side? Platform looks low on one side high on the other.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Is it my eyes or is your boat listing to the passenger side? Platform looks low on one side high on the other.

How much you want to bet he's laying on the floor while someone took the picture?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

How much you want to bet he's laying on the floor while someone took the picture?

The cooler is on the port side.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:50pm

39 dollars, or is that MPH?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 2:16pm
Or maybe the boat is so ADVANCED that it has built in counterweight for a driver...
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 2:49pm
87 skier

Looks like Eddie's boat, but not a barefoot.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 3:29pm

You nailed it Tim!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 3:48pm

39 dollars, or is that MPH?

Quinner, you owe me $39!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 3:50pm
Eddie, is it actually you in the boat or your daughter? If it's your daughter CQ owes ME $39.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 4:16pm
Eddie, Please clean that boat up a little, looks like there's a leaf on the floor and it's really bugging me.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Eddie, is it actually you in the boat or your daughter? If it's your daughter CQ owes ME $39.

It's actually me. My wife took the pic.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It's actually me. My wife took the pic.

CQ, Ill email you my address. Ill be expecting that $39 straight away.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:18pm
Tim, CQ is out of the office already I'll go ahead and spot him from my account in Pakistan. First I will need your bank account number, I'll send you $100 then you can give me back $61.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:06pm
seattle,
I was not reffering to you as the pissed off person. I just ment someone with in CC being pissed off. Left the company and started a boat manufactured with an already well known name.

Eddie,
thanks for the quick history lesson, really was very interesting and I really like that barefoot skier you have. Looks very sharp.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 12:00am
Guys let me tell ya that boat is even better lookin' in person and it is FAST. Gotta admit it is a chevy. Drives very smooth and tight...you would never be able to guess its age.

Tim you gotta be one of the sharper guys on here...right up near BKH. I never noticed...had to scroll back just to look.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 1:17am
see Told ya Ed knew his sh*t.

Nice clean motor
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 3:03am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

see Told ya Ed knew his sh*t.

even if he dont, Im not gonna be the one to tell him other wise..nice boat Ed

there is one at SECC 4-sale and its E-Bay right now under correct craft, it looks good, it has a home made tower on it!
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 3:51am
Wow, awesome boat backfoot100. Here's my 82' American Skier, American Skier. It's had the interior completely redone. Stringers are all original and still rock solid. The floor has also been replaced. I just recently sanded down and refinished the teak.

I was wakeboarding this day so the tower kind of takes away from the boat...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 12:24pm
Nice lookin' ride Phil. Take care of it. You don't see a whole lot of Skiers out there, let alone any that are in really nice shape. Stick with these guys here and you'll be able to keep that thing lookin' and runnin' like new for a long time.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic