NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

american skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 7:27pm
Thanks Eddie. Do you happen to know the size of gas tank in my 82' American Skier? I never fill it up full so I'm not really sure. I'm guessing between 15 and 18 gallons....
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 8:51pm
Hey backfoot 100 beautiful boat !! I see that you are a diehard American Skier fan like me. How do you know so much about American Skier? My boat was with Ron Tanis at his shop just south of the old American Skier plant. He actually took me up there to check it out and I have some photos of what is still laying around. What a great guy he was and it was a string of bad luck that brought the company down before Brett Favre bought it and trashed it totally.
Wetamb

1992 American Skier Legend
2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 9:14pm
By the way backfoot100 here is a pic of my completely original except platform 92 Legend.

Wetamb
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:53am
Here are some more that are near my house, I like the older ones, my buddys dad had 2 of them back in 80s that we used to go out on alot!

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 3:16am
What year is that brown one? pretty sweet.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 11:11am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Thanks Eddie. Do you happen to know the size of gas tank in my 82' American Skier? I never fill it up full so I'm not really sure. I'm guessing between 15 and 18 gallons....

I'm not sure about yours but mine is 22 gallon. I would guess yours is the same or very close.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 11:30am
Originally posted by wetamb wetamb wrote:

Hey backfoot 100 beautiful boat !! I see that you are a diehard American Skier fan like me. How do you know so much about American Skier? My boat was with Ron Tanis at his shop just south of the old American Skier plant. He actually took me up there to check it out and I have some photos of what is still laying around. What a great guy he was and it was a string of bad luck that brought the company down before Brett Favre bought it and trashed it totally.

When Ron Tanis reopened the Skier plant in LA. I called the plant to see if I could get more info about my boat. Ron himself answered the phone! I was totally shocked. Without a doubt one of the nicest guys I've ever talked with. I ended up talking with him for a couple hours I think. Told me about the history of the company and his involvement up to that point and where he wanted to take the company. Obviously a very spiritual person too. Just talking with him, you could just tell he has a huge passion for these boats and feels like every one that left the plant was his own personal boat. I would love to meet the man sometime. Too bad things didn't work out as he envisioned.

By the way Brett Favre is QB of the Green Bay Packers. Ben Favret was who succeeded Ron Tanis with the Skier plant.

Also, that is a very sweet Skier that you have there. Take care of it and enjoy the benefits. I could only hope that you can enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 11:47am
The lack of an upper window frame on that 82 is a great idea.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 11:51am
You guys have two great looking, and I figure, great performing boats.
Eddie, how is the wake behing that thing, compared to the BFN's? What engine is in your Skier.
wetamb, that boat is so sharp. When was the picture taken, 1992, or recently?
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

You guys have two great looking, and I figure, great performing boats.
Eddie, how is the wake behing that thing, compared to the BFN's? What engine is in your Skier.
wetamb, that boat is so sharp. When was the picture taken, 1992, or recently?
Lefty

Tullfooter: Thanks for the compliment ! Pic was taken in March of this year before I had the boat detailed for the summer.
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Without a doubt one of the nicest guys I've ever talked with. I ended up talking with him for a couple hours I think. Just talking with him, you could just tell he has a huge passion for these boats and feels like every one that left the plant was his own personal boat. I would love to meet the man sometime. Too bad things didn't work out as he envisioned.

By the way Brett Favre is QB of the Green Bay Packers. Ben Favret was who succeeded Ron Tanis with the Skier plant.

Also, that is a very sweet Skier that you have there. Take care of it and enjoy the benefits. I could only hope that you can enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Ron was and still is very passionate about boats. After spending some time with him a few months ago, you can tell that it still bothers him what happened with American Skier. He appears upset about what Bret/Ben Favre/Favret(no body really cares about this guy anyway ..LOL) did with the name change to Elan and the poor quality of there boats.
As for the enjoyment, I have been benefiting from it for 15 yrs and I hope to keep it for another 15 !!!
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:14pm
Just thought that I would also share pics of whats left of the one mold for my American Skier Legend. These were taken at the old factory a few months ago. First one has Ron in the background.

Hull

Top cap view from the back

Top cap view from the front
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:21pm
wetamb,

BEFORE?????

Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:50pm
Here is my '82 American Skier. Just turned 200 hours total time this summer.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 1:57pm
Wow, that 82' is top notch. I wish I had my American Skier chick emblems on the side of mine. Can you post of picture of the back of the boat?

Nice, and I thought I was the only one around here with an 82'. I'm just loving this American Skier talk.

Where do you guys store your boats in the winter? I'm wondering how picky I should be....
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:00pm
Can any of you guys suggest a rudder for my american skier?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:26pm
Tull,
the wake is definitely not buttery smooth like a BFN. Excellent for slalom skiing but narrow and a touch turbulent at barefoot speed and line length. Definitely crossable. The wake is small and the lip is a bit rounded at 75' so you can have a tendancy to skate into the wake doing tricks if you don't have good body position. Much more defined at 80'.

The motor is a special production 300HP 350 Chevy or very close to 300HP anyway. Indmar told me that they only made about 50 per year for a three or four year run. Runs pretty well. I put new heads, intake and MSD dist./ignition in about 7 years ago now. The exhaust manifolds are stock, but I polished them to look like they do. It now has close to 1300 hr's. on it.

Wetamb,
it is such a shame to see molds like that just sitting there. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Eddie
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 3:42pm
Here you go Phosper:

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 4:53pm
Ultrarunner, did you restore the gelcoat? I am very impressed with the look of that. I thought mine was in good shape. Thanks for that pic. I need that rear sticker. Think I can get it made anywhere?
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 4:59pm
What lakes do you guys drop your American Skiers on?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 5:51pm
Mark;
That is one really cool lookin' boat. Awesome shape. Nicely done!!!!

Phil;
You can trace any graphics or letters and take them to any good vinyl graphics/lettering place and they should be able to reproduce them. Just be prepared to pay for them. Can't help you with a rudder.

Eddie
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:52pm
Wow! What beautiful bunch of boats. I've met more than a couple of people who owned American Skiers, mostly early 80s models. All were very proud owners and had nothing but great things to say about the boats.

Last I heard about ELAN was that they were considering having a company in FL building the boats, but my memory may be fading their. They had also become very disenfranchised with the AWSA approval process, which apparently has become very costly with the number of boats required between testing and pulling X number of tournaments. Basically, not a favorable situation for a manufacturer that doesn't produce higher volumes.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:57pm
ultra...That boat is sweet!
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:22pm
Not my boat, but there is one for sale up here in the Great NorthWest. Attached is the Craigslist link.

Seattle Craigslist American Skier
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:25pm
Ultra
Nice boat, looks really good for it's age especially with black gel.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:03pm
SeattleFordFan,

anyone who would put a custom wakeboard tower on one of these boats is crazy. i feel like i'm taking away from my boat with a skylon, i would never ever put a true tower on an old ski boat it totally ruins the classic lines.
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 10:23pm
Phospher,

Names Travis, and that isnt my Boat, but what your trying to tell me is to not put the tower on my 80 Ski Nautique, when I go through the restore?

I have one that I got from a friend, he upgraded from, and I have thought about putting it on. Depends on the boat, how it looks.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

wetamb,

BEFORE?????

Lefty

Yep Lefty before this summers detailing !! It looks even better now !!
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Can any of you guys suggest a rudder for my american skier?

Phospher: Go to Midwestamericanskier.com and email them. Dan Tanis, Ron's brother runs the site and has many parts for alot of the American Skiers or he can tell you were to get your rudder. Also you can registar your boat there. I think that he is keeping a list going of all of the American Skier owners. Maybe we need to get a site of our own !!!

Wetamb
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 10:42pm
Ultra: Killer boat !! Looks like you have alot of time, money and elbow grease in that thing !! Looks better than new !!
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic