NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1956 Correct Craft Collegian

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cape Cod CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1956 Correct Craft Collegian
    Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:48pm
Hello,

I have not been out here for awhile, but I just came across an interesting boat that I thought might be of interest to some. It is a 1956 Correct Craft Collegian 18'. The boat is complete and has about a 1/2 done restoration. The interior has been completely redone and is out of the boat. It has a 389 Pontiac motor which seems a little unusual. Did they put them in boats back then? The interesting thing is that it is all factory double planked mahogany, very high quality construction.

Does anyone know anything about this model or have they ever seen one. I did get some information from the reference section. It looks to be very sporty with the stern completely covered and some accent wood on the sides. Perhaps this was a model to compete with the higher end Chris Crafts of that era. With a 389 in it I bet it moved right along.

I don't think I am ready to get into a vintage wood boat, but who knows. Any thoughts would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 4:07pm
I don't think the 389 came along until '60 or '61. I doubt it is an original engine.

Can you post pics?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 4:08pm
Vince, good to hear from you. Check out the thread on the Boston boat show- we're getting together again this year.

Im sure Pete will be along to comment on the boat- he loves the woodies.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 4:15pm
Vince, I have a friend who has a utility that he feels may be the same hull as the Collegian just without the deck section over the engine. His has a flathead Gray in it so I'm inclined to agree with Bruce (Riley) that the 389 is not the original. 50's V8's were rare. Do you know who did the marinization of the 389? Pictures would be great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 5:33pm
Hey Guys,

It is great to get such fast replies around here.

I agree the engine must have been a retrofit. In the reference section it says it came with a Gray. Whoever put the engine in made an interesting choice going with a Pontiac V8. I am also interested to see who did the marinization. The owner is going to forward me some pictures so as soon as I get them I will post them here.

TRBenj I will definitely check out the thread and I hope to see you at the boat show, hopefully with my buddy Dale (Duck Soup). I have been a little out of the Correct Craft realm lately as I have been involved with my new boat project. It is a 1970 Chris Craft XK19. I got a little carried away and started a registry website for owners of this boat XK19.net. It’s a pretty rare, unique boat that was produced in both V-drive and stern drives with factory Chevrolet V8s ranging in power from 210hp up to 350hp using LT1 Corvette engines. Only 276 produced over a 5 year period. Here are a few links if you want to get a feel for what the boat is about.

XK19.com
XK19 restoration (69 SS)

Sorry for rambling on here, I’m just a little excited about my new boat.

Back to the Collegian, I will definitely have to talk to Pete and see what he may know about these boats. I am probably not a buyer so if others are interested in buying let me know.

Thanks,
Vince

Cape Cod
1980 SN

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 5:42pm
Vince, sounds good. The show is earlier this year- I think we're still shooting for Jan 12.
Another member/lurker here bought an XK19/SS not too long ago. Very cool boat. Is yours a V-drive or sterndrive?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 3:50am
Hey Tim,

Mine is actually the stern drive with a Volvo Penta 250. My heart is with the V-Drives but I really wanted the high performance engine only available with the stern drive. It has the stock Chevy rated at 310 hp.

The boat out of the box from Chris Craft will do 53mph. I have not yet experienced this first hand as I am doing a restoration. I believe it will reach its rated speed without modification due mostly to its hull design and power. Certainly not due to weight as it is fairly heavy at 2900 lbs. Lots of fiberglass.

Thanks for your interest Tim!

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 11:35am
Hey Vince,

Welcome back. You have the XK19 out here on the Cape? (or is the blue one in MI above yours or just an example??) I'd like to come by and check out your project sometime, if its out here.

Larry
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 12:15pm
Forestport Boat works in Upstate NY will sell you one of these restored CC's for $35K. Really cool boats. The V-drives are very rare, most with Chrysler engines...

CCCC, yours is looking great.. Keep the pics coming of the interior etc..

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 12:43pm
Vince, If you run into any problems with the Volvo Penta 250, our member Craig (64X55) has a Cobalt/Donzi that originally have the 250 in it. He has converted to the 280 but he knows his stuff on the outdrive. We are all knowledgeable on this site!!!

We'll be waiting on the pictures of the Collegian too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Forestport Boat works in Upstate NY will sell you one of these restored CC's for $35K. Really cool boats. The V-drives are very rare, most with Chrysler engines...

Moj

Moj, I spent all my summers as a lad on the lake in forestport. Dont get there much any more but stopped by for old times sake last summer. Stopped in at the boat works but they were closed. Some neat stuff in the yard and through the windows tho. They like working on old glass there, even tho they do wood too.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

[QUOTE=Mojo] Forestport Boat works in Upstate NY will sell you one of these restored CC's for $35K. Really cool boats. The V-drives are very rare, most with Chrysler engines...

Moj

Larry,
For sure.. The owner is a real trip, but his guys are really good.. I was there when they were finishing up Alan Jackson's Navy Blue XK19.. I have loved that boat ever since.. Even had them find me one to restore, but after what they put into Jackson's boat, they wanted to do the same to all (which jacked the price up $10K).... Yep, they like the old Century's, Chris Crafts.. Funny how that little shop stays alive up there... I'll bet you have fond memories of visiting up there.. Beautiful country !!!

Moj'

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I'll bet you have fond memories of visiting up there.. Beautiful country !!!

Moj'

Yes it is. Many fond memories. Many many laps around that lake behind the old mustang

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 1:00pm
Hey Larry,

The boat you see in the link from my post is not mine, just an example of what it looks like. Mine is here on the Cape in storage at the moment. I am looking at a few places to have the paint/gelcoat redone. I am not sure which way I will go. I like gelcoat but it is very expensive to have done right. When I take it out of storage you might want to come up this way and take a look. Hopefully I will see you at the boat show.

I am still waiting on pictures of the Collegian...

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

hm427donzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hm427donzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 11:07pm
Hello, this is my first post because Im new to this site. If any of you are interested in the 1956 Correct Craft Collegian please call me and I will give you all the information on the boat. My number is 865-376-4511 before 11:00 pm est. The boat is apart and the bottom planks are cut and ready to screw down. The boat is complete and does have a Pontiac 389 that was converted in 1959 by a boat shop that did the 389 conversion to 8 Correct Crafts in Knoxville, Tennessee in the late 1950's. Everything is boxed and labeled. The boat is sitting on a Mastercraft trailer. Thanks, Richy.
BobbyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 7:59pm
Vince, saw your post on the Collegian. I have what I think is a '58 Collegian, which is a double cockpit layout---2 bench seats one in front of he other with the engine compartment decked over. Since Correct Craft offices had a fire many years ago, it's hard to get info.
My boat is is need of another restoration, it's been out of the water for 10 years, but I used it weekly for 20 years before that. I put a '58 Graymarine 225HP V8 in mine. It is a fine performing boat. One of only a few styles of boats that are double planked all over, bottom, hull sides, & top decks. I will restore mine someday. I got some nice 8 x 10 pictures from Correct Craft years ago. Would like to find an original steering wheel.
collegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Cape Cod CC Cape Cod CC wrote:

Hello,

I have not been out here for awhile, but I just came across an interesting boat that I thought might be of interest to some. It is a 1956 Correct Craft Collegian 18'. The boat is complete and has about a 1/2 done restoration. The interior has been completely redone and is out of the boat. It has a 389 Pontiac motor which seems a little unusual. Did they put them in boats back then? The interesting thing is that it is all factory double planked mahogany, very high quality construction.

Does anyone know anything about this model or have they ever seen one. I did get some information from the reference section. It looks to be very sporty with the stern completely covered and some accent wood on the sides. Perhaps this was a model to compete with the higher end Chris Crafts of that era. With a 389 in it I bet it moved right along.

I don't think I am ready to get into a vintage wood boat, but who knows. Any thoughts would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Vince
fiddle-faddle60
collegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 1:22pm
Hi,   I've been reading the discussion of the CC Collegian, and I can assure you that the 389 Pontiac was not the original engine. I have just finished the restoration of 1957 Collegian, and mine is equipped with a Chrysler flathead six with twin carbs. There were 3 Chrysler sixes and three Ford Dearborn Intercepter V_8's offered in the Collegians. Horsepower from 110 to 215. Please call me as I would like to talk to you about these wonderful rare boats. 765 891 0421.
Thank you, Jay Niemann
fiddle-faddle60
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 1:47pm
Jay, How about some pictures! We would love to see it.
Did you ever find the emblems you were looking for?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic