NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 2001 LVL Stringer Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

The bolts are all tight. I can overpower a few of them so hopefully I can get away with some rotdr or something like that. I will just have to see what I have once I get the floor out. I need to do the tap with hammer test and see what happens.

Kris, I feel the bolt tightening is just a preliminary check as the lag bolts don't go down to the bottom of the stringers. I find that a lot of the rot is on the bottoms. Just like you drilled the exploritory holes in the floor, I would drill some in the stringers close to the bottoms and see what comes out. I'm not really a big fan of Git-rot or the Rot-Doctor. It is a tempory fix. The surounding wood next to the repair done with these penetrating epoxies will start to rot quicker. The moisture is already in the wood. Tapping with a hammer is used as a preliminary as well. I've never had any luck with really "reading" the sound unless the wood is real mush! After you get the floor out, report back with what you find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Big Pappa,

If your floor is separating from the side of the hull then I strongly suspect the secondary stringers are separated from the hull as well. I have no doubt the secondaries are rotted foreward of the pylon. When I cut away the floor of the '87 it looked like much of the foam was dry. It was not.

I suggest you cut away the entire floor, remove the foam, and inspect (then replace) the secondary stringers and foam. A partial repair of that area under the front seats is okay. But you are going to have to remove the floor where it is separated from the hull then splice in a repair.

Pretty fun project. Just don't start doing the gelcote. That sucks.

Gelcote is is good shape so no worries there, thank goodness!!! Thanks for the info though. I am going through your post again making notes and figuring out a materials list and just doing my research. Looking back is there anything you would do different or have any tipos for me? That is anyone not just SkiBum.

I will be cutting out the floor this weekend and will have a better picture of what I have and what the scope of work will be. Hopefully the main stringers are all fine. The bolts are all tight. I can overpower a few of them so hopefully I can get away with some rotdr or something like that. I will just have to see what I have once I get the floor out. I need to do the tap with hammer test and see what happens.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 2:15am
Glad to see ya on Bill...not deployed yet huh?
I think I remember a post a little while back saying you might be changing "jobs". Hope you stay safe.

Are you searching for a new boat or gonna wait awhile?

You sure wrote the thread that explains it all about stringer replacement.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 7:35pm
Big Pappa,

If your floor is separating from the side of the hull then I strongly suspect the secondary stringers are separated from the hull as well. I have no doubt the secondaries are rotted foreward of the pylon. When I cut away the floor of the '87 it looked like much of the foam was dry. It was not.

I suggest you cut away the entire floor, remove the foam, and inspect (then replace) the secondary stringers and foam. A partial repair of that area under the front seats is okay. But you are going to have to remove the floor where it is separated from the hull then splice in a repair.

Pretty fun project. Just don't start doing the gelcote. That sucks.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 12:54am
I sat up last weekend and read all 11 pages in one sitting last week. Boy was that a read. Like drinking from a fire hose.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 8:05pm
For more information than you could ever hope to digest in one sitting, check out Skibum's stringer/floor thread here. He completely rebuilt his '87 and documented everything.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Once you get that up, you'll be able to judge the condition of the foam and stringers. If theyre wet and rotten, keep digging backwards until you find solid, dry stuff.

Thanks, glad to be here. Yea, I will definitely have to pull up that portion it is completely shot. I can see the edge by the pylon and it look like just the fiberglass then the soaked wood is hanging below.

Has anyone redid the area where the vents come down? Like making rigid vents that run down each side and give more room in the middle, or is that an area that can not be modified?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 5:42pm
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you should pull the wood out of the floor and see whats underneath. It runs from the front of the motorbox to the back of the battery box. Here is a pic of my '90 with the wood portion removed:

Once you get that up, you'll be able to judge the condition of the foam and stringers. If theyre wet and rotten, keep digging backwards until you find solid, dry stuff.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 5:34pm
Hey everyone. I have been lurking around here for a while and posted a couple of times, but this is my first project post. I have an 85 2001 that is in great shape it just had a soft spot in front of the pylon and behind the drivers seat as so many of these boats do.

Well this is the year to fix that. I pulled up the carpet yesterday and low and behold most of the drivers side floor has delaminated from the side of the boat and a little over half of the passenger is the same way. The area in front of the pylon is shot and will have to be replaced.

I drilled a 1" hole every 2' down both sides and once I got behind the front of the motor the foam looks dry and clean. I am probably going to go ahead and rip it all up so I can see the condition of the stringers and supports and make sure there is not any water under the foam.

This is creating more work but it is better to fix it right the first time than having to do it all over again in a couple of years.

This is view of my boat.

This is the Drivers side the floor has pulled away between the red lines.

Here you can see how far it pulled away

Here are the holes on the driver side. The red circles are where the foam was wet and nasty looking. Green is where it was clean and dry.

Here is the Passenger side crack.

And the Passenger side Holes

So what do you all think? I am pretty sure I want to pull up the floor to check the stringers and make sure it is all dry under there before I glass it all back together.

Who has used something besides carpet after completing their repairs, To keep from having carpet that will hold moisture? I am still thinking 40oz carpet is going to be what I use but I am thinking maybe there is another option. Gator grip would be cool but expensive. Anyone done snap out carpet? How did it work out?

Anyway, thanks guys and gals!!!

Kris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
  Share Topic