NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 2001 LVL Stringer Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 12:30pm
Very nice work. She looks great!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 12:52pm
Awesome job on the boat Kris! I'd love to see some more on-water pictures of it. How is it running?

By the way, maybe it's mentioned elsewhere, but where are you located?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:51pm
Wow Kris you did a number on that boat. Wonderful job. She sounds good and looks awsome..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Very nice work. She looks great!!

Thanks!!
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Awesome job on the boat Kris! I'd love to see some more on-water pictures of it. How is it running?

By the way, maybe it's mentioned elsewhere, but where are you located?

OK, I will take some the next time we are out, Hopefully this weekend. It is running like a champ, I will take some more video as well.

I am just north of Birmingham in Gardendale, Al.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Wow Kris you did a number on that boat. Wonderful job. She sounds good and looks awsome..

Thanks A Lot!!
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 9:06pm
Great job Kris. Did you put off building the starboard-side bench seat?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 7:02pm
I may still build it eventually. I wanted to get it back on the water and use it some first and see how we would use it with kids. It may have to wait until after I add a tower since that is where I put my board right now.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 2:09am
Hey everyone,

I thought I would show a few things that I have been working on with the boat. It sat in the garage just resting for the winter. I pulled it out one time early in the spring to let it run a little but it has been rather cool here this spring so not much boating action yet. I pulled it out last friday though and got to work.

I started off by pulling the old registration and boat numbers and cleaning off the goo left behind. Then it was time to get to work cleaning up the top side of the hull from the years of sitting and having fiberglass dust covering it. Not to mention the actual fiberglass and foam on the top side of the boat in the back.

First things first was a good washing. After the boat was clean I pulled the windshield off, removed the bilge vent intake and exhaust and the side teak by the rear seat so that all that would be out of the way.

My plan was to start at the front and get the front top and the sides completed so that I could get the new registration and numbers installed. So I started with a wool pad and some 3m Perfect-It compound on my Dewalt 849 buffer. This did pretty good but it became apparent that some light wet sanding would help things look better. So I whipped out the 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. I started with the 2000 and that was plenty for the front. After finishing the wet sanding on the top bow I went back to buffing. I started with a Wool pad with 3m Perfect-it, then a red/maroon foam pad and the 3m Perfect-it. Next I changed to a yellow foam pad and some Collinite fiberglass cleaner, then I finished thing off with a white foam pad and Collinite Fiberglass wax.

At this point the top of the bow was finished. I could see my reflection in the gel and anything that was sat on top of the boat slid off, just what I was wanting.   

Next I did the exact same thing on each side back to the windshield with the exception that before I applied the wax I cleaned the area where the registration goes to make sure there was no wax or oils of any kind there then applied the registration and the numbers I had made to try and match the ski nautique that will be going on the side soon. Once the registration was on I went back over everything with wax, doing the area around the letters by hand. I do still have to go back and hit the V area under the boat, I was getting tired and did not feel like getting this just yet.

Once this was finished I removed the hand rail on the port side along with the interior piece that runs along there. *** Heads up*** Wool pads will burn the vinyl off of your interior if you happen to run into it. After this was removed I went to work with a razor blade. This area had a lot of fiberglass from me getting in and out of the boat with crap all over my gloves and just making a mess. Next I went over the area wet sanding with 2000. I finished up the port side and the back. I still have the Drivers side to clean up then I need to buff that whole area.
Before

After

One other thing that I was able to do was to install my new SS cup holders that are a little larger than the stockers that would not hold anything other than a can.

After working on the above Saturday and Sunday last week, Monday we took it out and had some fun in the sun. I tried out my box anchor and I really like it. It does not take up much space and it deploys easy, holds great then pulls back up no problem. Here we are anchored and swimming. My wife and son are on the swim deck that is why the boat appears to be a little nose high.

I still have to finish wet sanding and buffing the 2 sides, apply my new Ski Nautique letters on the sides, install the new pop up cleats by the windshield, then give the seat cushions a good cleaning and I will finally be able to call this project complete!! I plan on continuing on posting to this thread until that point so that the build thread is complete. I still have all of my receipts as well so I think I may try and come up with a build tallie so others can have an Idea on costs associated with this kind of project. This will be a while though, there are A LOT of receipts!!!    

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
  Share Topic