Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Check stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check stringers
    Posted: December-06-2011 at 1:17pm
I

I am looking into buying a 1986 Ski Nautique 2001. This will be my first boat. I've been doing some research, and asking around, and it seems the biggest things I need to check are the stringers and to do a compression test. As far as checking the stringers, I've been told I need to try turning the bolts running along the cradle and if they spin freely then I have problems. Are the bolts I circled the correct bolts I need to check? Any advice or suggestions are helpful. Thanks in advance!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 2:18pm
ya, really check any bolt that goes into the stringers. Also gently lift the carpet by your feet and look at the floor/secondary stringers there. See if they are cracked or coming apart. That is where mine had the most damage.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 2:19pm
You can also look for stress cracks in the side and hull if stringers are bad..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 2:39pm
Tap the glass on the stringers anywhere you can get to with a small hammer. Rot and delamination will have a hollow sound to it.

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 2:44pm
also check the bolts that hold in the drivers seat. mine were completely stripped out. obviously walk around and check for any weaknesss or flexing. Look closely at where the floor meets the hull sides. Stress crack in gel anywhere, specifically on the running gear (strut shaft etc.) the more you can nitpick the more you can get the price down.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 3:17pm
The bolts you pointed out on mine were tight, but the ones on the inside of the stringers (you can see the heads in your photo) spun.   Check for cracks in the fiberglass that surrounds the stringers.   if the glass is cracked, it's only a matter of time before the wet wood is no longer structural.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 4:54pm
OK. I will be taking pictures tomorrow and posting them to get some feedback from everyone.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 7:56pm
I would take one all the way out and look at the last inch or so for rust. The bottom of the stringer is usually the first to go.
Tim D
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 3:33pm
so.......... did you ever look at it?
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 7:42pm
My buddy and I actually bought it. We took it straight to the shop, so I was waiting to get it back to post pics and all that good stuff. We took a bit of a risk, just purchasing it without having the engine looked at, but the stringers were solid and the interior is pretty solid, so at $2200 it was hard to turn down. The guy at Nautique said the carb was shot, and we also got a tune up done, so its gonna end up costing around $1400. All told about $3600, not too bad. I will have pics soon though.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 9:00pm
A carb and tune up is $1400 ?
Tim D
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 11:35pm
New carb 5 bones! what the hell are you paying for a tune up GOOD LUCK.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 11:39pm
plugs wires fluids timing dwell test drive tune adjust new carb packings etc $14000
Brian
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

plugs wires fluids timing dwell test drive tune adjust new carb packings etc $14000
Hay hot boat! test drive must be 10grand you must drink alot of adult beverages
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 1:16am
ouch, that makes all the hours I spend fiddling with the boat worth it. They really bend you over at the shop.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:50am
Originally posted by oledb4 oledb4 wrote:

The guy at Nautique said the carb was shot, and we also got a tune up done, so its gonna end up costing around $1400. All told about $3600, not too bad.

Justin,
Now I understand the high costs - The guy you are talking to is a "Nautique" and NOT a Correct Craft type!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 11:21am
ya those nautique owners have money with their expensive boats!! I am just a poor correct craft owner who spend all his money on wood and fiberglass to keep my floor from caving in. Different sides of the tracks.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 2:34pm
Yea I think I will definitely look into doing the work myself next time. I'm sure I could have saved myself a few hundred bucks for a little sweat equity. But with just purchasing the boat and not knowing exactly what was wrong and what needed to be done, I felt it best to take it to them at least the first time. Still probably could have done the tune up myself though.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 4:35pm
still no pictures?
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2011 at 11:12pm
Trying to upload pictures but they are about 3x too big...any idea how to work this?
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 12:01am

Figured it out...So here she is...Just got her out of the shop yesterday
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 12:11am
Great looking pics there of the boat. My guess is there is rot there but to what extent is the question?? She may need some TLC but congrats on the beautiful CC...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 3:18am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Great looking pics there of the boat. My guess is there is rot there but to what extent is the question?? She may need some TLC but congrats on the beautiful CC...

Thank you sir. Yea I noticed a soft spot near the drivers seat, but the rest of the floor felt pretty solid...I screwed in the front passenger seat today and the screws caught the wood and weren't spinning so thats encouraging. Looking into having a buddy buff it for me and try to get some color back
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 1:46pm
ya, you can probably run it a season or two before issues, just keep an eye on the gel and watch for stress cracks. 86 is one of my favorite years, im baised. Your dash is in pretty good shape, wish mine looked that good.

If you have any questions let me know I have the same model and am knee deep in a stringer job right now. Also a little tip, I used the starbrite teak restoration kit on my platform and side steps, they were about the same condition as yours and it really brought it back to amazing!! Probably took about an hour to do, it was a satisfying high impact way to making the boat look newer. Congrats again man!!!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 1:47pm
also there are some online tools to resizing picture but you can just open them up in microsoft paint and choose resize. Try 50%.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

ya, you can probably run it a season or two before issues, just keep an eye on the gel and watch for stress cracks. 86 is one of my favorite years, im baised. Your dash is in pretty good shape, wish mine looked that good.

If you have any questions let me know I have the same model and am knee deep in a stringer job right now. Also a little tip, I used the starbrite teak restoration kit on my platform and side steps, they were about the same condition as yours and it really brought it back to amazing!! Probably took about an hour to do, it was a satisfying high impact way to making the boat look newer. Congrats again man!!!

I appreciate it man. I'm sure MANY questions will arise, so the help is greatly appreciated. Good luck with the stringer project!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by oledb4 oledb4 wrote:

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Thank you sir. Yea I noticed a soft spot near the drivers seat, but the rest of the floor felt pretty solid...I screwed in the front passenger seat today and the screws caught the wood and weren't spinning so thats encouraging. Looking into having a buddy buff it for me and try to get some color back

You bet.. From those pictures you have time to enjoy before a rebuild. She looks solid and ready to go. Letting them air out after use is important. When you do choose too do the rebuild, there is lots of stringer rebuilds threads to help you in your success. Glad to see another CC and 2001 saved...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic