NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tinker on Evinrude/Johnsons?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tinker on Evinrude/Johnsons?
    Posted: March-20-2012 at 1:47pm
Probably a long shot, but figured it wouldnt hurt to ask! I have four 9.9/15hp Johnnyrudes from the '74-86 era that need some work. One runs, but starts poorly when hot. 2 others are complete, one is a parts motor. I'd like to put together 2 good running motors out of the bunch. The problem is finding the time to work on them!

If anyone in the northeast works on these things in their spare time, drop me a line and I can give you some more details. Im located in CT.

Thanks!

TRBenj@gmail.com
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:21pm
You are going to end up on American Pickers some day...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:26pm
Tim, I've got an '87 9.9 Johnson I bought new. I have an excellent service manual that tells you how to repair everything and also tells you specifically what not to do! You're welcome to borrow it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You are going to end up on American Pickers some day...

I'd love to see that episode! Maybe we should submit his name and address to them.

American Pickers contact
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:53pm
Ha, thanks HW- if only I were retired, Id have more time to turn this "junk" Ive collected into useful stuff!

Bruce, Ive got a full service manual for my '86 and can handle the basics... just dont have much time to dedicate to these at the moment. Too many irons in the fire! Want to trade that '87 for a few clunkers?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:05pm
These old two strokes would probably worth a few bucks in running condition. Seems like the industry is mostly moved to four stroke for motors in this range, which I'm assuming are a good deal heavier.

Looks like the E-Tec is one viable option though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:15pm
I had to look up the latest offerings and youre right- hard to believe that 2-strokes arent being sold anymore! Ill stick with them as they have a significant weight and performance advantage.

Evinrude still has some work to do to bring their E-tec technology to the smaller motors. They just introduced the 15HO, but it weighs a good bit more than their standard 15hp (183 vs. 114 lbs). My understanding is that its basically just a detuned 25hp or 30hp motor, as the e-tec components havent shrunk yet.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Anyone tinker on Johnsons?

Maybe you and HW can team up on this one. Double Dutch Rudder??

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:40pm
Tim,
Before you do any work on ether, check the compression, I have two 15's from the same era. I put lot's of hard time on them, the ski club put one of them on their Fliver and lots of hard time but then my son killed both of them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:45pm
Im definitely going to test them, Pete... from what Ive read, this era of motor is pretty robust and not many suffer from low compression. I suspect that may be the case on the '86 9.9 that I have though... I ran the snot out of it when I was younger, and now it doesnt start well once its warm.

CQ, are you saying HW should be able to work on my Johnson because he's pretty handy?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:53pm
I'll work it with my boot.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:59pm
Interesting on the difference between the two 15s. I just assumed they were all E-Tecs, but I noticed the Portable Series is not.

I was eying the Evinrude 9.8 because we have a Merc 8 that's a little tired and has a fuel delivery problem. We can't get the bulb to get firm...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 5:29pm
Tim, pretty simple to work on (and fun too), I used to take them apart or maybe try to put junk motors back together so I would have something to run on the old Mississippi. As Pete said, if the compression is good, then it's either a bad carb or a bad coil, as my uncle always said, its either got no spark or no fuel.

Time to play with it is a completely different scenario/problem...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 5:42pm
Yup, simple to work on for sure- I tuned up the 9.9 a few years ago and got it running ok after sitting for 10 years. These need more part swapping than just a tuneup though. I know I could handle it, but Im no expert on them- so Im sure there are people out there who can do it faster! With 2 houses requiring some major projects this spring and 2 CC's in pieces that need to get reassembled, I just have WAY too much on my plate to get to these anytime soon. And having a reliable little runabout at the dock is pretty much a necessity... so I need some help!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 7:49pm
My wife works on my Johnson. But I don't let her touch the two on my boats.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 7:58pm
Interesting theory Steve. I have a standing practice to not let my Johnson touch another Johnson on a boat, or any other place.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 2:21am
wives and johnsons in the same sentence..must be young guys.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 10:03pm
I,ve got 1962 Johnson Twin 3hp and one for parts. Best thing I did was install a ignition. The the coils were hard and brittle. All the ignition parts were about $110.
WE put in on a old 17 ft canoe with a 2x6 and C claps. Only me and my brother have piloted it. Amazing how unstable a canoe is at 20mph!"It will make your butt grab the seat"   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Interesting on the difference between the two 15s. I just assumed they were all E-Tecs, but I noticed the Portable Series is not.

I was eying the Evinrude 9.8 because we have a Merc 8 that's a little tired and has a fuel delivery problem. We can't get the bulb to get firm...

I just recently went through this with a 40hp Spirit (Suzuki before they actually imported them under the Suzuki name)on my Lund. I went through everything trying one thing at a time and what I finally found was small crack in the fuel line between fuel pump and carb. Fuel delivery on these is pretty frustrating to figure out sometimes b/c I kept wanting to go to the carb so I guess the moral is to check all the simple things first and don't make any assumptions
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 12:05am
Originally posted by MAN - GA MAN - GA wrote:

I just recently went through this with a 40hp Spirit (Suzuki before they actually imported them under the Suzuki name)on my Lund. I went through everything trying one thing at a time and what I finally found was small crack in the fuel line between fuel pump and carb. Fuel delivery on these is pretty frustrating to figure out sometimes b/c I kept wanting to go to the carb so I guess the moral is to check all the simple things first and don't make any assumptions

I was making a slight play on words but I was serious. Literally the squeeze ball on this used to firm up as you primed it and now it does not.

It looks like there is a little crack where the fuel line goes into the tank, and I thought that was the culprit. I haven't really gotten into it yet. But, that doesn't totally make sense since the tank isn't made to hold pressure anyway (we used to have an old Johnson that used a pressurized tank to feed the fuel). I'll check the fuel lines under the motor cover then too.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

wives and johnsons in the same sentence..must be young wives.

john

Fixed it there for you , jbear
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:35pm

But, that doesn't totally make sense since the tank isn't made to hold pressure anyway (we used to have an old Johnson that used a pressurized tank to feed the fuel). I'll check the fuel lines under the motor cover then too.

I'd guess that there is a check valve in the bulb that won't let the pressurized fuel back to the tank.   if your supply line on the motor side of the bulb has a leak, that would definitely keep the bulb from firming up.   also, if the check valve was weak or non functional, it would have the same effect.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 11:23pm
I just put My dads 85 Evinrude (1976) on our pontoon (Harris float tug)
still works great ! It must have been made on a Wednesday   
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic