Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shallow lake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
floppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shallow lake
    Posted: February-12-2006 at 7:15am
how shallow of water can you safely drive in. thanks
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 3:41pm
It depends on the type of boat. We have an 88 ski and with a 2 foot draft,I think? Not sure but i think that means you can run full power in 2 foot of water. We live on a pretty shallow cove and have no problem just idling. I wouldnt dare to test my luck tho!
mars
floppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 4:44pm
thanks mars, I just purchased an 86 ski nautique and was in the process of installing an hdr600 depth finder and was wondering what to set the alarm for? where i ski mostly the only pier is at the boat ramp, so i will be docking alot at the bank. with my old outboard you could just trim up. so i am a little bit nervous about it.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 5:00pm
I keep my alarm set at 10' and it doesn't get too annoying. If I set it lower, it will probably be too late to correct my course before I run aground. If I'm going to anchor near an unfamiliar shore, I approach very slowly until I reach 3' then I anchor and walk.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
floppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 5:14pm
thanks thats what i needed to know.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 6:01am
Two things about running in shallow water, kicking up sand will nick the prop and shorten the life of your impellor. And sandy water will cause the strut bushing to wear quicker.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 6:08am
Running in shallow water will bend your prop shaft and break your prop. The resulting extreme vibration will then cause your engine to blow a head gasket - take my word for it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 10:48am
I have my alarm set at four feet....haven't hit anything YET (knock on wood)
Life is Good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic