Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flushing question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waterlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flushing question
    Posted: April-25-2006 at 4:11pm
I think I once saw a post cautioning about pressurizing the water intake line during driveway engine testing. I think I have read through all of the recent posts on flushing, etc. I cannot use a fake-a-lake because of the location of a trailer bunk. The only other technique I saw that would not pressurize the water intake hose was the one about filling the bilge with water and then allowing the intake hose to draw water from there. If there is no problem with water pressure, the easiest way seems a T in the water intake line just downstream from the hull intake with a petcock between the T and the hull intake. Any advice would be appreciated.
waterlover
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 4:18pm
disconnect the hose at the hull pick-up and shuff a hose into it and be done, I've never had an issue with pressurizing the system. You just don't want to put it in gear and spin the prop shaft out of water you mess up the strut bushings.
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 8:28am
I Use 79s technique. I tried using a hose to a large bucket and allowing the raw water pump to pull it but the flow was way faster than I could keep the bucket filled. Now I hook the hose up to the intake hose where it connects to the hull, then when I am ready I have my kids turn on the water just befor I crank the boat. My concern was not with pressure but with the wet exhaust filling with water and running back into the heads and pooling when the motor was off. Water pressure should not be an issue on any serviceable hoses or components on the engine.
Just my .2$
Dallas
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 9:14am
Be careful! If your hose and household water pressure cannot flow enough to keep the bucket filled they cannot flow enough after you stuff your water hose up your intake hose either. The only difference is you will not see it happening. Your boat will not increase the flow rate of water from your household supply by sucking.

If you are lucky and have ample household water pressure and flow, your bucket will remain filled anyway, and you can probably eliminate your bucket and stuff your hose up your intake if that floats your boat.

Get a bigger bucket. I have mentioned several times before that I use my bilge as a bucket and it works well.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 9:47am
My only problem with filling the bilge is that I KNOW I would go do something else while the bilge was filling and forget to come back to the boat....presto, a sunk boat on the trailer. Don't laugh, I did it twice to my old wooden Chris Craft!

I personally use a fake-a-lake ( I know, Waterlover can't) and turn the hose on and walk back to the boat and start it. Two things here: 1. If the impellar is in good shape, I figure not much water is getting past the rwp. The water that does get past is simply going to flow out of the exhaust. The exhaust manifold design would not let it flow back into the engine via the exhaust valves unless the exhaust hose is plugged or blocked.

FWIW, there are automatic flushing valves available for this purpose.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 9:54am
My cuddy has a hose connection on the transom that connects to some sort of automated valve in the supply to the raw water pump for flushing. This was standard equipment on this boat. Guess C.C. though that it would be used in salt water alot. The autovalve thing is broke on it now and is bypassed. Just though it was interesting that C.C. sees no problem with running with house water pressure to the raw water pump.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 10:01am
if your houshold pressure is low and it is not flowing water at the maximun rate for the size of the pipe it's flowing through then the RWP will change the rate at which the water flows. Now it will still be less than what the RWP can flow due to the difference in dia on the RWP 1.25 to say a .75 for your house.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 12:22pm
David, I used to use fake-a-lake but with my new trailor the fake-a-lake won't fit. I'm just saying be careful because if you assume you have enough water flowing you could get into trouble.

When I take the inlet hose off of the brass water inlet thingy in the bottom of the boat the water inlet thingy acts like an overflow. At least it does in my old CCs.

To each his own and personally I can't put myself in the minds of the CC designers. I'm sure they specify some minimum flow rate or pressure. Shame on them if they don't.

So, don't any of you guys have jobs or work during the day?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 12:47pm
ya I'm doing it right now, it's easy when you have dual monitors
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 6:51pm
I just bought a boat, and it has a hookup for flushing in the engine compartment. Perko makes it, anything wrong w/ using it?
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 9:04am
Do NOT use that device, it will destroy your engine! Just to ensure you are not tempted, you should remove it and send it to me immediately

Just kidding, use it with no worries.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 9:06am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Do NOT use that device, it will destroy your engine! Just to ensure you are not tempted, you should remove it and send it to me immediately

lol, k thanks!
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 12:19pm
First time flusher here. Looking at my 1992 manual, on page 4.9 they diagram a "fresh water flushing" illustration. This instructional is for flushing your engine if the boat has been in salt water. Is this the same approach for running your engine out of water for cooling purposes? Also, it references a relieve valve which prevents excess pressure to the engine. Gotta love "newbies" eh?!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 12:40pm
If your boat is equipped with the fresh water flush option, then yes, you can use this method for running the engine out of the water. Very few boats have this option from the factory. I believe CC sells a kit to install.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 1:15pm
One thing I've noticed using the fake-a-lake, is you don't want the water pressure wide open while the boat is not running, the seal in the pump if worn can leak, maybe damage it. I don't think it was designed to hold back against that kind of pressure.
Tim D
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 11:55pm
Okay I have to ask a stupid question so please humor me...

Other than the convience, is there a difference hooking the hose up to the in-line hose vs. using a fake a lake?
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 9:02am
Well, not really other than one important difference (I believe). With a fake-a-lake, any excess water pressure will leak/escape from around the fake-a-lake. By connecting the garden hose directly to the RWP suction hose, you are introducing pressure to the pump which I suppose could damage the shaft seal (but really do not know). My thought is that otherwise it does not really matter as any water that gets pushed through the cooling system simply exits the exhaust pipes. Given the design of the exhaust manifolds and risers, it cannot enter the engine cylinders. With that said, I only have experience with exhaust systems with risers. Some of the older engines do not seam to have the risers, but Somehow, the theory must be the same or engine damage would surely be the result.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 1:01pm
the water pressure isn't going to damage anything anywhere, even if you do not have risers and have elbows the water will exit the exhaust and it is not possible to get water into a cylinder even if the engine isn't running, that is provided they are not cracked to start with.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic