Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition Change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
firefighterwes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition Change
    Posted: June-22-2006 at 8:20pm
Hey guys,

Im gonna be purchasing a pertronics ignition system for my nautique and I need to know what all parts need to be purchased. Do I need to replace the coil, plug wires and distributor, or just the distributor. Appreciate the help.

Thanks All,

Wes
Everyone be safe this season.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 8:38pm
i have a pertronix 1581. On the 1581 there is no additional parts and you DONT bypass the resistor. The instructions are pretty easy to comprehend.

and, atleast on mine, you dont replace the distributor its a simple slip in module
firefighterwes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 8:45pm
Your boat is cherry man. She is beautiful. Will that 1581 work on a Ford 351? Ive got an 81 nautique. Appreciate the help.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 8:54pm
i honestly don't know but i think it does. check their website or maybe google

"pertronix 1581" - if that doesnt help check their support phone number
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:00pm
If you go to www.vintageperformance.com you can find the right one based on your distributor type. From what I've read the 1581 is for 8 cyls. with prestolite distributors that have the "clip-down" cap.

You don't have to replace the wires, but not sure on the coil. I'm planning on buying the "flame thrower" coil when I do my upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Joe
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:12pm
joed is correct. and even if you buy a new coil it has to be a points compatible. ie. your existing coil is fine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic