NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 4:59pm
I have moved the boat to Ten Mile Lake in MN and have started removing the screws from the bottom. Is each side of the hull one piece?
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 4:24pm
I have all of the screws out of the bottom. Should I also remove the screws from the piece of wood down the middle and on both sides? When I replace the bottom, what kind of ply wood do I use? Is there a pattern or do I use the old bottom?
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 4:43pm
I used 3/8 marine plywood. I believe that's what is there. Each length is made of two pieces joined end to end with a scarph joint. Need to use epoxie.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by NewOwner NewOwner wrote:

I have all of the screws out of the bottom. Should I also remove the screws from the piece of wood down the middle and on both sides? When I replace the bottom, what kind of ply wood do I use? Is there a pattern or do I use the old bottom?

Don,
Yes, the screws at the keel need to come out.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
The keel is made up with a wide inner keel and a narrow outer keel. This forms the rabbet where the bottom ply is fastened.

As Jack mentioned, any painted surface, use 3/8" marine Douglas Fir. Marine grade ply has very controlled specs on inner ply voids. Any bright (varnished) needs the Mahogany.

Also as Jack mentioned, anything over the typical 8' ply length needs to be scarfed and epoxy glued together.

Scarf joint with a ratio of 10 to 1 to 12 to 1 thickness to scarf length.

Patterns are not available. Use your old ply for a rough pattern and then do any final trimming on the hull.

Do you have the frame braced, squared and sitting on something level? With the ply off, the frame can twist.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic